Back up at the shoot

1 minute ago, sparky the hunter said:

Well guys out feeding today, so muddy i had to leave the trailer at the farm.  This is where we usually have our elevenses,  on the flipside a good shoot yesterday 103 in the bag.

IMG_20201206_130336.jpg

Good bag , that spot looks nice for the duck.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared.

Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon.

My own contribution was 6 duck, 14 pheasants and 1 partridge.

I used my AYA yeoman 12 bore and was accompanied by my black lab for the morning.

Then at dinner i changed to my highlander 20 bore and had my young yellow lab with me, who proved to be steady with birds dropping all around her.

DSC00108.JPG

• Like 12

Had a look out for some rabbits last night in the cold and wet , this ground is up near the fells and absolutely waterlogged. I have only lamped this ground once so was surprised at how skittish the rabbits were , maybe the keeper has been at them ? I squelched about and chipped away at the ones that sat a bit too long , testing shooting with the wind blowing me about on my sticks. Once my bag was full I headed back to the car to drop them off and proceeded to slip and land flat on my back in a load of mud.The rifle scope and torch were covered in shit . As I lay on my back covered in mud I questioned my sanity being out on a December night up in the hills on my own freezing and wet humping a heavy bag of rabbits about ? For some unknown reason I love it ???? Ended up with 28 ......

20201207_232659.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Had a look out for some rabbits last night in the cold and wet , this ground is up near the fells and absolutely waterlogged. I have only lamped this ground once so was surprised at how skittish the rabbits were , maybe the keeper has been at them ? I squelched about and chipped away at the ones that sat a bit too long , testing shooting with the wind blowing me about on my sticks. Once my bag was full I headed back to the car to drop them off and proceeded to slip and land flat on my back in a load of mud.The rifle scope and torch were covered in shit . As I lay on my back covered in mud I questioned my sanity being out on a December night up in the hills on my own freezing and wet humping a heavy bag of rabbits about ? For some unknown reason I love it ???? Ended up with 28 ......

20201207_232659.jpg

It's good for you. Keeps you fit and focused. 

Ok mud and cold try to leave out. Bad combo?

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

New bit of shooting ( sort of ) it’s my mates farm and he’s got a few foxes milling around so he’s asked if I’ll have a go at them and I get to shoot from the top of the grain dryer, exciting stuff ?

E72D02E3-DA5B-4079-9845-5736BED5FC70.jpeg

586C9598-1D4F-4341-9639-CC4A9B6CF910.jpeg

It'll be nice up there in a freezing north easterly! Can you build a little  hut up there?

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I had a climb up earlier and it’s a bit wild, you can feel the gantry moving, I’ll probably get sea sick? I’ll probably give it a go at the weekend, I have to dig my thermals out ?

Not much wind Saturday night so you will be ok. Still get wrapped up though , not nice getting cold.

8 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I had a climb up earlier and it’s a bit wild, you can feel the gantry moving, I’ll probably get sea sick? I’ll probably give it a go at the weekend, I have to dig my thermals out ?

Get your long johns on Stavross, you’ll be fine?

66C039F0-8C0D-4829-A6C8-365687B49973.jpeg

• Haha 2