Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

On 23/11/2020 at 18:41, Dervburner said:

Couple of pics from this morning’s walk about . Lots of jays causing difficulties for the song birds in these woods and after exhausting all other practicable measures, my walk culminated in giving a short lesson regarding the virtues of fac air.?

FAEFF4D6-22C6-44FE-91B6-C9431C44F7E2.jpeg

83B4690F-DECC-4BF8-BBC8-79D5DB57D322.jpeg

FAC air is a very useful tool on the squirrels and corvids. 

Well done on getting rid of the pests!

What air rifle are you using?

18 hours ago, ianm said:

FAC air is a very useful tool on the squirrels and corvids. 

Well done on getting rid of the pests!

What air rifle are you using?

Yerr, good tools Ian. I’m using an fx impact .22, set up at the moment to run from 19ft lb up to 41ft lb at the turn of a dial, so pretty versatile really. Can be turned up to 60ft lbs if needed but I’m mostly running it on number 4 power setting at 34ft lbs using jsb 18.1 grain exact. Literally lifts them off their perch on elevated shots.

57319B3B-34BA-4442-AC1D-024DC6B1AD7A.jpeg

4A1DB804-07A7-4DC8-8096-C50E7F946FA1.jpeg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I'm sorely tempted to look at fac air for taking things out of trees. What sort of range can you accurately be dev? How many shots per refill?

Well over 100 yards Ben, shot count depends on power output, but running 95 bar reg pressure with 700mm barrel gives about 160 shots at around 40ft lbs. That’s estimated, not actually counted.

• Thanks 1

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive . I feel sorry for shoots that rely on cover crops and do their shooting earlier , this lockdown will be a serious blow . 
           Being out in the mornings feeding is a total pleasure when it’s not raining. I feel like the luckiest bloke to be making a living doing something I’m passionate about . I stopped to take a picture of the mist / fog that was carpeting the lower ground and took a moment to appreciate it’s beauty. How could things get any better I thought as I carried on feeding. Well things did get better as I took a slight detour to check a few snares that I set the other day . I’ve been seeing signs of a fox around this one cover , puffs of feathers , footprints and that unmistakable smell . And there he was , he wasn’t best pleased to see me and was dancing around on the end of the snare , didn’t mess about and a 22lr stopped him instantly . A biggish dog fox in perfect condition. I got home and a bacon sarnie , a mate has been smoking his own bacon and it’s so good , some fresh bread and freshly brewed coffee , it’s going to be a good day , I can feel it .?

991D5238-1590-41EA-80B3-FFD4A6C57C38.jpeg

BCC4A51E-359C-4471-97FE-6C7392A6F478.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive . I feel sorry for shoots that rely on cover crops and do their shooting earlier , this lockdown will be a serious blow . 
           Being out in the mornings feeding is a total pleasure when it’s not raining. I feel like the luckiest bloke to be making a living doing something I’m passionate about . I stopped to take a picture of the mist / fog that was carpeting the lower ground and took a moment to appreciate it’s beauty. How could things get any better I thought as I carried on feeding. Well things did get better as I took a slight detour to check a few snares that I set the other day . I’ve been seeing signs of a fox around this one cover , puffs of feathers , footprints and that unmistakable smell . And there he was , he wasn’t best pleased to see me and was dancing around on the end of the snare , didn’t mess about and a 22lr stopped him instantly . A biggish dog fox in perfect condition. I got home and a bacon sarnie , a mate has been smoking his own bacon and it’s so good , some fresh bread and freshly brewed coffee , it’s going to be a good day , I can feel it .?

991D5238-1590-41EA-80B3-FFD4A6C57C38.jpeg

BCC4A51E-359C-4471-97FE-6C7392A6F478.jpeg

Not at all jealous....!! 

I was up at 5ish as normal, pitch dark. Don't turn light on as I'll wake the snoring bear, oww fucķ; stood on the plug to her hair straighteners right! Hobbled to kitchen for breakfast, breads down to crust end & someone's eaten all my crunchy nut. Two fun size mars bars for breakfast (not even mars bars, aldi own mars bars!!) Go into garage to get my boots - I'd forgot to turn alarm off & pir sensor in garage sets house alarm off! Finally get to work & a tup that's been on antibiotics & steroids has snuffed it. Its gonna be a twatting day, I can feel it! ?

• Haha 5
  • Sad 3