Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

None native or not is there any evidence of harm?

As ever mate, that all depends who you ask. I read few weeks ago some 'scientists' claiming pheasants are going to cause extinction of the adder!! ?

7 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

As ever mate, that all depends who you ask. I read few weeks ago some 'scientists' claiming pheasants are going to cause extinction of the adder!! ?

Oh well that's it then shoot the lot, we cant be having that now can we.

Hold on. Have these scientists ruled out modern farming practices! Are these  scientists the same type of scientists that developed pesticides associated with the decline of wild bees? That brought about mad cow disease? Hold the phone....

• Like 3

Evidence has never bothered the likes of wild justice any little stick they can beat the shooting industry with, they will use, they raise vast amounts of money purely to challenge the government on wildlife and farming policies, nobody in our corner can match them and sadly money talks in this world and I’m in no doubt there’s more of their madness to come

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 2

I was speaking to a keeper on a commercial shoot a minute ago about the lockdown and one of the problems he mentioned he could be facing is disease. Normally the birds are being moved around and their numbers thinned out. November can be a wet and mild month . There could be a real problem with micro plasma and respiratory diseases. 
          I was also talking to a fairly high ranking police officer who shoots with us and he knew this lockdown was coming days before we did , he was telling me that as far as he knows the lockdown “will” end on December 2nd and thereafter a tier system . Looks like a busy December and January for game shoots , keep your diary clear , I foresee some bargains going on guns on pegs !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I was speaking to a keeper on a commercial shoot a minute ago about the lockdown and one of the problems he mentioned he could be facing is disease. Normally the birds are being moved around and their numbers thinned out. November can be a wet and mild month . There could be a real problem with micro plasma and respiratory diseases. 
          I was also talking to a fairly high ranking police officer who shoots with us and he knew this lockdown was coming days before we did , he was telling me that as far as he knows the lockdown “will” end on December 2nd and thereafter a tier system . Looks like a busy December and January for game shoots , keep your diary clear , I foresee some bargains going on guns on pegs !!

I’ve just been speaking to someone who said something very similar, she said Boris will have to commit to the 2nd of December and to go back on the tier system to get the 4 week lockdown passed in the House of Commons 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

To be honest I didn't need a Bobby to tell me a lockdown was on the cards, it was obvious! No offense intended but observing drunken louts gives it away a bit.

No offence taken . I’m tucked away in my own little world down here . ?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

No offence taken . I’m tucked away in my own little world down here . ?

Best place to be mate. My missus moans at me for being grumpy & never talking to other people etc but i told her, if everyone was as antisocial as me then we wouldn't be in this mess!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
43 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Best place to be mate. My missus moans at me for being grumpy & never talking to other people etc but i told her, if everyone was as antisocial as me then we wouldn't be in this mess!! 

Me too , I was read the riot act on Sunday by the wife  , my youngest daughter who is 25 brought her boyfriend home for Sunday dinner . It’s only the second boyfriend she had brought home and she seems keen , and I’m keen for her to move out , so I behaved myself, made a bit of small talk , tried to sound interested in his job ? , good grief. Nobody told me parenting was this hard .

• Like 1
  • Haha 7