Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I normally shoot quite well with my .22 on the bunnies but for some reason last night I found myself shooting below par ? snatching and missing rabbits I should have had . Also found myself delaying shots and missing opportunities,  I suppose we all perform below standard every now and again.The half moon also came out and spoilt the night. Never mind glad to be out and pulling the trigger .....Anybody else have days/nights where you think what is going on ?

20201008_235855.jpg

Absolutely. I usually  have to get out with the rifle and refresh my self and regain some confidence.

8 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I normally shoot quite well with my .22 on the bunnies but for some reason last night I found myself shooting below par ? snatching and missing rabbits I should have had . Also found myself delaying shots and missing opportunities,  I suppose we all perform below standard every now and again.The half moon also came out and spoilt the night. Never mind glad to be out and pulling the trigger .....Anybody else have days/nights where you think what is going on ?.. 

it’s probably those crappy Winnie subs ?

Edited by Dervburner
  • Like 1

Had our first day yesterday and it went really well . A little bit weird with the masks and social distancing thing going on , but the pheasant and partridge didn’t care , they had other things to worry about . 
           The weather was kind with a good breeze and not too much sun to blind the guns ( great excuse for missing, remember that one ) but best of all not a drop of rain , I’d almost forgotten what it was like doing the drives without slipping around and getting wet . We did four drives and they all produced lots of birds . The third drive after break was the very good with 69 pheasant and 2 partridge shot . The last drive we had to pull out otherwise they would have shot too many . So it’s looking like a good start to the season.

• Like 6

Hand feeding this morning, the birds are not in the large group around the farm anymore, that’s not to say there’s not good numbers around the farm but they have definitely moved further out, there was a lot of birds over what’s known as the piggeries and the 40 or so that were in the bottom field were definitely not ours, there was also 30 or so over the valley on the forestry road, again not ours, it goes to show how bad next doors keeper is at his job, we are still 3 weeks away from our first day so with a bit of luck and cold weather they will be in tip-top condition come the first day ?

5F17C99F-D748-4C74-B7D5-F0AE84C14AA0.jpeg

ADA5DFD3-890C-48A5-BA1A-FB3288E94516.jpeg

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Had our first day yesterday and it went really well . A little bit weird with the masks and social distancing thing going on , but the pheasant and partridge didn’t care , they had other things to worry about . 
           The weather was kind with a good breeze and not too much sun to blind the guns ( great excuse for missing, remember that one ) but best of all not a drop of rain , I’d almost forgotten what it was like doing the drives without slipping around and getting wet . We did four drives and they all produced lots of birds . The third drive after break was the very good with 69 pheasant and 2 partridge shot . The last drive we had to pull out otherwise they would have shot too many . So it’s looking like a good start to the season.

That must of been a cracking show of birds to take 71 from a drive ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

That's a great 1st day looking forward to our 1st shoot next Saturday,  but a lot smaller affair. Hope it stays dry as makes for a nicer day.

6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

That's a great 1st day looking forward to our 1st shoot next Saturday,  but a lot smaller affair. Hope it stays dry as makes for a nicer day.

Big , small , medium , who cares as long as you enjoy it and you are out . Good company, fresh air , and a bit of a craic . At the end of our shoot days one of the old boys always says “ well , that’s another day they can’t take off us “ , and I think he’s right.??

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

Big , small , medium , who cares as long as you enjoy it and you are out . Good company, fresh air , and a bit of a craic . At the end of our shoot days one of the old boys always says “ well , that’s another day they can’t take off us “ , and I think he’s right.??

Too true , I enjoy the craic more than anything. This season more interested in seeing how the pup gets on ?