Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

On 23/06/2020 at 18:11, bumpy22 said:

Knocked up another feeder at the weekend. Made out of old deck boards seem to work well best thing is cost nothing. Have them in all the woods on shoot.

20200623_181308.jpg

That looks like a good design bumpy22. How often do you need to fill them up if you don’t mind me asking ? 

Just popped out to the farm where we had 3 the other week. Field is now turnips about 6 inches tall , so set caller out on a rut 40yds away and played cub call. After 5 mins the ruby eyes appeared in the corner of the field ? Came in nice and steady along the top of the field til it found the rut my caller was on , came down a little way and I lit it up at 100yds , bang , plop , vixen in the bag ?20201005_210400.jpg.662af80a229e5e7b0822b299a1deada2.jpg

• Like 7

Animal rescue? ,friend in Essex had a spate of them with various "repair "scars .

Local wildlife centre dumping town foxes in the countryside where they had no clue. 

As fast as an unmarked white van released them as they couldn't find McDonald's bins the locals were shooting them .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Baldcoot said:

Animal rescue? ,friend in Essex had a spate of them with various "repair "scars .

Local wildlife centre dumping town foxes in the countryside where they had no clue. 

As fast as an unmarked white van released them as they couldn't find McDonald's bins the locals were shooting them .

Yes mate,  have experienced  it myself. Do gooders hey! Do badders more like or " hello I'm self righteous  and have all the answers myself" types!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Exactly, we’ve had them running to the lamp. They think it’s feeding time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
16 hours ago, Dervburner said:

That looks like a good design bumpy22. How often do you need to fill them up if you don’t mind me asking ? 

Last about week when there on them. Worth the extra height to not have to keep filling. Got 4 of them on the go

• Like 1

A mate who keepers the nearest shoot to me noticed a real drop in the number of foxes he shot this spring . He wracked his head about it and put it down to COVID 19 . There is a lay-by near his shoot with public toilets and is sheltered from view from the road . During lockdown it was taped off . So the local doggers and homo’s had nowhere to go also the foxes weren’t being dumped . He can’t wait for things to get back to normal. ??

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Last about week when there on them. Worth the extra height to not have to keep filling. Got 4 of them on the go

Yerr, thanks for that bumpy22, mine are smaller and need regular visits to fill up. For that reason I’ve nicked your design, knocked a couple up this afternoon. Not as neat as yours maybe, but like you say, made out of scrap, cost nowt. Some of my woods are a bit of a trek through to keep filling feeders up. Thanks for the heads up on this one fella ??

31783212-F1B5-465E-8AA6-49AB4C199582.jpeg

• Like 4

Well I arrived at the shoot early afternoon to glorious sunshine, thinking to myself I’m going to enjoy this autumnal afternoon feeding up, oh no, by the time I got the bike out the rain was bouncing, so on with the waterproofs and off I went. It’s now a good 2 hour task feeding as it’s not just filling feeders but also hand feeding feed areas in the drives, it’s good to see birds in each of the drivers now and so far they haven’t wandered off our land ?we have gained a few from surrounding shoots and a few partridge which will be nice if they hang around ? I also managed a drive bye bunny, still moving on the quad, head shot ?

F9F718D8-8DE8-4A64-8CE3-60AB83DE9C67.jpeg

07943CE5-34B6-4251-9F1D-CDCF8527D027.jpeg

6E21ABAA-3517-4ABA-B997-E0035438A69E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1