Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I think it's hard to find one these days and Starlight are terrible to deal with.

Starlight are a crap company to deal with. 

Dragonflies where very hit and miss when they came out. No quality control at all, just pot luck whether you got a good one or a bad one.

I made sure i got a proper one by turning up on their doorstep and picking mine out of a batch just made. I used a dark cellar and a n/v spotter to pick it with.

I believe he is now working out of his garage at home and has given up the premises he used in Manchester.

I can’t believe how quickly it’s come around, but it’s our first shoot on Saturday. Social distancing  , and transport and food is going to be a bit different, but we will get there.  I’m looking at the birds and they are well tailed up and they have lost their juvenile feathers on there heads . Got to get pegs put out soon . Already got the drives planned . Someone asked me if I was nervous ? I said “ask me in December “. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hope it stays dry for next weekend for you ? I was up the shoot on Friday and our birds were well coloured up and tails on them , our 1st shoot is 2 weeks time. We put 100 ducks on the pond and I counted 120 so numbers growing ? Also a lot more pheasants about around the boundaries straying from next door ? Looking forward to getting started. 

• Like 2

We are starting a bit later this season with our 1st day on the 7th of November, so they still have another 5 weeks ish to bulk up, they were looking well today making the most of the sun after 24 hours of rain, they are moving out around the shoot and all the feeders are out where we want them. We are only using 2 pens this year and they are quite close, over the past few weeks the pen known as forestry has been light on birds where as the pen known as Gordon’s has far more than normal for this time of year and after today I now know why, bloody forestry workers have their huts near our pen and every one of them has a dog that they let run about and it seems the birds have had enough of this and moved on, luckily towards Gordon’s pen ( well most of them ) this wouldn’t of happened if the old ranger hadn’t of moved on, I think the landlady will have to have a word with the new lad, I’ll let it go this season because it’s looking like a strange one anyway, that we are just going to have to make the best of ?

im looking forward to reading about how a few of you get on in these mad times 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I can’t believe how quickly it’s come around, but it’s our first shoot on Saturday. Social distancing  , and transport and food is going to be a bit different, but we will get there.  I’m looking at the birds and they are well tailed up and they have lost their juvenile feathers on there heads . Got to get pegs put out soon . Already got the drives planned . Someone asked me if I was nervous ? I said “ask me in December “. 

Have you done a formal risk assessment? If you haven't it may be an idea to do one and give everyone involved on the shoot a copy.

We have done ours and on the day (November) everyone will get one. It just covers you from the authorities.

Good luck on your first shoot. 

3 hours ago, ianm said:

Have you done a formal risk assessment? If you haven't it may be an idea to do one and give everyone involved on the shoot a copy.

We have done ours and on the day (November) everyone will get one. It just covers you from the authorities.

Good luck on your first shoot. 

Yes , it’s all sorted, got a copy for everyone, beaters, pickers up , game cart . I’m not having to do food this year , every cloud as they say . Caterers sorting all that . And the guns are going to the local pub , instead of the house . But apart from that it’s business as usual.

• Like 1