Back up at the shoot

6 hours ago, Stavross said:

Back up at the shoot at first light ( ish ) this morning, strimmed out a couple of feed areas as the birds are on the move, they are not taking masses of feed but they are enjoying the brambles and acorns,  there seems to be fallow about in good numbers so with a bit of luck and if I can address my work/ shooting balance I’ll sort out an evening with FH for a look out after a buck ?

70A45DC5-2711-44E6-A20B-DCD71EF3BDF9.jpeg

B11510F7-FEEE-4F44-ABE4-7F1D4D4F51AA.png

Hope you both have some success. Just an idea Stavross. Inviting someone for fallow can sometimes be a bit hit and miss . A little trick I’ve done in the past which works is to bait an area . I’ve used carrots, fodder beet / sugar beet , alternatively pony nuts . Works well especially with some molasses. I know it’s not really stalking for the purists but it will certainly help fill the chiller. And can save a disappointing long drive . Worth keeping as a backup if all else fails sort of thing. Good luck and looking forward to a scary picture of you with a fallow.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, si brown said:

Like that stav.. looks like a proper chill-out zone?
that water feature in wall sets it right off:)

That water feature was a nightmare, the builder who did the wall didn’t think that the pipe would have to go through the wall so made it 2 foot thick and back filled it, I had to dig out the back of the wall and put a core cutter through it, the plank ?

• Haha 2

Customer is over the moon, tomorrow’s job is to fence around the top of the wall to close it in and make it a private space, I think that will transform it again, especially if they let me paint it dark gray to match the windows and slate roof on the house ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Put a grass path in going out the garden on a bank, looks really good but completely impractical, steps might of been a better idea, but the customer is always right apparently ?

25026836-14FA-482D-96A3-0ABC8D741102.jpeg

6BAB9EA2-FD4E-42E7-A771-5308C6DDBC59.jpeg

Be fun when it snows/turns into mudslide! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

That water feature was a nightmare, the builder who did the wall didn’t think that the pipe would have to go through the wall so made it 2 foot thick and back filled it, I had to dig out the back of the wall and put a core cutter through it, the plank ?

That’s the sort of thing I’d do if someone had pi55ed me off?

you should get into the walling side of things, seeing what you like in life on here it’d be a good string to your bow!

there use to be a walling group in stoksley years back that might still be on the go. 

19 minutes ago, si brown said:

That’s the sort of thing I’d do if someone had pi55ed me off?

you should get into the walling side of things, seeing what you like in life on here it’d be a good string to your bow!

there use to be a walling group in stoksley years back that might still be on the go. 

I’m not to bad with some reclaimed sandstone dwarf walls and I can lay blocks for steps and beds, I’d like to learn how to do it properly, I watched a bloke build a slate wall, now that’s a proper skill

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’m not to bad with some reclaimed sandstone dwarf walls and I can lay blocks for steps and beds, I’d like to learn how to do it properly, I watched a bloke build a slate wall, now that’s a proper skill

never done a slate wall but use to wall with my dad all over the moors when I was in me early twenties gave up on it cos there was more money in site work..

things change and now the sites can stick it, im out  ?

im not sure who runs this any more and I was surprised its still on the go but its worth having a look at.. 

a lot of its done on your side of the moor

https://www.ydswg.co.uk/courses/about