Back up at the shoot

Just now, Stavross said:

My favourite time of year, I love a cool misty morning and a chilly evening when it gets dark by 8 o’clock ?

If I had to choose my favourite time of year I don’t think I could , all the seasons have their charm . But if I had to it would be a frosty winters morning . I think it takes me back to the excitement I felt when I was a kid , ferreting , seeing my breath , hearing the thumping underground and waiting for a bolt . Magical!!!

• Like 3

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

My favourite season is Spring , the rebirth of everything.  I was out for some rabbits last night even though the weather conditions weren't good , pretty light and not a breath of wind. Anyway I shot a hare and left it at a gate to pick it up once I had done the high ground. On my descent down the hill I went to pick up the hare and discovered Mrs Tiggywinkles feeding on it. This is the 2nd time I have seen this , on the first occasion I caught a hedgehog feeding on one of my rabbits.

20200918_000404.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Just had the pup out for a walk round the shoot and he found a freshly killed hen. Rang the farmer and he said he only had 2 and they were there at 4pm , I said well you've only got 1 now. So a fox has turned up and needs sorting .20200918_184732.jpg.49abb964b4615ec49971a3aa04a92202.jpg20200918_190609.jpg.fc1b539e89cacfd6a1c0932b8ebcac05.jpg

Brilliant photo. Was the bird still warm then?

Back up at the shoot at first light ( ish ) this morning, strimmed out a couple of feed areas as the birds are on the move, they are not taking masses of feed but they are enjoying the brambles and acorns,  there seems to be fallow about in good numbers so with a bit of luck and if I can address my work/ shooting balance I’ll sort out an evening with FH for a look out after a buck ?

70A45DC5-2711-44E6-A20B-DCD71EF3BDF9.jpeg

B11510F7-FEEE-4F44-ABE4-7F1D4D4F51AA.png

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Ok mate sounds good just let me know. The rut is just about to start ?

Already seems to have started here. Heard the clatter of antlers yesterday evening, two good bucks going at it . Just the start I think .

I’d get them shot sooner rather than later as there is too much of a testosterone “twang” to the meat if you shoot them in the rut proper . 

I am busy with my fallow culling at the moment. I don’t know about you FH but I keep culling until  they start to stink and then leave it till just before Christmas . Then hopefully get a few bob for them then . At the moment the game dealer says he doesn’t want any deer but will take them and pay me £1 a kilo . I’d rather give them to friends. 

• Like 3
Just now, shovel leaner said:

I am busy with my fallow culling at the moment. I don’t know about you FH but I keep culling until  they start to stink and then leave it till just before Christmas . Then hopefully get a few bob for them then . At the moment the game dealer says he doesn’t want any deer but will take them and pay me £1 a kilo . I’d rather give them to friends. 

I don't have any access to fallow SL .Stav has kindly invited me so will need to fit in with his schedule.