Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Poachers , poachers , poachers .....last 3 nights out on 3 different farms and I have witnessed poachers lamping. Last night I had been set up calling on the stubbles when a vehicle with no lights on came tearing  up the farm road with lamps scanning. I flashed my red torch at them and they just shone a big white lamp in my face and carried on up the road turned round and lamped me on the way out ????? Luckily they got nothing but later on there was a few roe out on the stubbles they had lamped so safe for another night but I know they will be back .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So, yesterday evening I got a call from my mate saying they were on with cutting the last of the wheat along the plantation on my secret perm, I arrived just as the combine and the last trailer of corn was coming off the field, pulling into the yard the old man was there, shortly joined by the two brothers and the grandson. After a bit of banter and the old man asking me to keep an eye out for the dog lads and do what I need to if they are on there ( whatever that means) I headed to the edge of some game cover, setting the caller out about 50 yards from the plantation it was a good 40 minutes before a set of eyes appeared, interested in the caller I allowed it to head towards it, as it got to within 80ish yards I turned the caller off. It stopped side on and with the crosshairs just behind it front leg I squeezed the trigger, BANG but no thud and one fox making a run for it, I have absolutely no idea how I missed it, on the up side a miss is better than an injured running fox. After giving it another 2 hours, checking out the rest of the land and not seeing another ginger I decided to call it a night, as got to the yard I noticed a car parked in the lane leading up to the farm, looking through the NV I could see 4 people, my first thought was dog lads and been in no mood for idiots after my poor night out I headed straight up to the gate where I was greeted by 4 coppers who had been called by the farm across the road because he didn’t recognise my car, after a bit of a chat with them I headed off home, I almost wished I’d stayed in ☹️

• Sad 4

One of them nights I guess . I’ve got a couple of places now where I’ve had plod problems. I have the phone numbers now of the local houses and drop a text telling them I’m out and I haven’t had any more bother . I also ring in one place to the police just in case . 

Just checked out some stubbles and nothing about due I think to the blistering heat. Anyway I thought I would go for a wander looking for vermin. As predicted nothing much about and I was totally goosed when I got back to the car. I did manage my 2nd squirrel of the year ? and a magpie so not a total waste of time.

20200915_160826.jpg

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Seen loads of red squirrel sign posts up here but only seen a couple of grey's!

Still a red squirrel stronghold up there , pity you have seen greys. Used to see them all the time when I was younger until I saw my first grey up here in 1992.

• Sad 1