Back up at the shoot

11 minutes ago, si brown said:

That's a good post sl, had me chuckling?

these cocky weed freaks are something else??

if it doesn’t rain today I’m off out tonight, you’ve motivated me... it’s been crap over here for the last week with wind and rain, looks like the sky’s are going or open up any moment though!

Good luck Si , let us know how you get on . ?

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

I would of phoned his father there and then.... anyway well done you.

Only takes a piece of grass or straw to ruin a shot mate as I'm sure you know.

It’s starting to make sense now , about Christmas time last year the pot smoker  smashed his car into a ditch and road sign by the turning into the village. He left the car and went to bed . His father got on the war path about the overhanging trees and the wet leaves on the road which were to blame for his sons car going in the ditch . Well it seems leaves could well be to blame , but not the ones his father was going on about . Can’t wait till the next parish council meeting.?

I usually miss when I get confident, I’ve been on a good run just lately, and everything I’ve pointed my gun at has been dropping. You are right it could of been straw or grass . But in this instance I am going to have to take the blame , the Fox was on the move and the mule was pointing where it had been and I had to stretch and twist a bit . I should have left it but I was over confident. I always like to have my elbows steady with the butt tucked tight in my armpit and cheek on the stock , whenever I don’t get these fundamentals right I miss . It’s as simple as that , 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

It’s starting to make sense now , about Christmas time last year the pot smoker  smashed his car into a ditch and road sign by the turning into the village. He left the car and went to bed . His father got on the war path about the overhanging trees and the wet leaves on the road which were to blame for his sons car going in the ditch . Well it seems leaves could well be to blame , but not the ones his father was going on about . Can’t wait till the next parish council meeting.?

I usually miss when I get confident, I’ve been on a good run just lately, and everything I’ve pointed my gun at has been dropping. You are right it could of been straw or grass . But in this instance I am going to have to take the blame , the Fox was on the move and the mule was pointing where it had been and I had to stretch and twist a bit . I should have left it but I was over confident. I always like to have my elbows steady with the butt tucked tight in my armpit and cheek on the stock , whenever I don’t get these fundamentals right I miss . It’s as simple as that , 

Ahh, loading the stock up, that'll do it?.

Anyone that crashed a vehicle and leaves the scene TO SLEEP is concealing something incriminating!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

At long last , they have cut the wheat . They aren’t hanging around this year , they’re  bailing it , followed by the muck spreading and discing . 

I’ve been chomping at the bit to get out on these fields as they always produce foxes . It’s funny how foxes behave but t try hey always seem to appear or approach from the same places year on year . When you know a ground well it certainly gives you an advantage . I got on the first few fields at dusk and tucked myself away for a bit and thought I’d see if the fox that gave me the slip on the barley field would turn up , but nothing showed and to be honest I was itching to get on to the “good” fields . 
                Literally as soon as I got through the gate there was a fox in the hedge to my left , I swung the mule around to face it and got the rifle ready, I watched him in the hedge through the thermal and then he trotted into view and gave me a perfect view of himself at no about 60meters , one down , a vixen . I carried on and did a lap of the fields which are in total about 70 acres of varying sized fields separated by hedges with gaps in that allow access for vehicles but thankfully no gates to bother about. Nothing showed so I set up my caller on a bale and got out of the mule to shoot off another bale . The rabbit distress worked its magic and just where I thought a fox would show ( because they always do) Charlie appeared , two down a massive dog that had probably just eaten something big , because his stomach was huge.  I thought I’d give these fields a rest and go to the other side of the estate and check the first fields as I wax driving back I saw two people sat on one of the bales . I approached them and the smell of Hash/ dope filled the air . I told them they were bloody lucky not to get shot , the kid said I only live in that house there and this is a public footpath . I said a footpath it to get from A to B it doesn’t give you the right to sit around on bales smoking weed . Then I realised who the lad was , he is the son of the biggest most sanctimonious prick I’ve ever come across, who has waged a war on the estate to have footpaths on ancient maps opened up . Who happens to be a local councillor and GP . I said does your father know you are out here smoking weed , the kid flushed with embarrassment and his girlfriend ushered him away . He soon will do , everyone in the village is going to hear about this one .??

Anyway back to shooting, I was was making my way to the gate and in the same field o shot the first fox another was on the far side . It was running over the cut straw which was in ridges , but stopped by the hedge to look at me . All I could see was it’s head so I had a shot and missed, I don’t know if I clipped some straw or just fluffed the shot , anyway I can’t write what I said . Another lap of the other fields and I saw nothing. So I came back to the “good “ fields  . I set up the caller and this time tried the field mouse , it didn’t take long and numerous three was in the back of the mule, another dog . I did another lap of the fields and by this time it was 12.30 . I took a photo of the three and disposed of them . I went back to the farm to lock up the mule , but something before I did I thought I’d check this orchard, I have been seeing a fox in there on the far side and thought it was worth a look . Sure enough there was the fox but he disappeared through the hedge into the fields where I just shot the three earlier. What the hell , got to have a look haven’t l ? So I drove around and through a gate at the other side from where I usually access the field and there to my left was the fox on top of a bale , it wasn’t a safe shot so I drove around until I had a safe back stop , he must of thought that being on the bale made him safe or invisible but he was none of those things . He was led down facing me so not a massive target but then I was only about 60 meters . I put the bullet right between his  eyes . So I ended the night with 4 , 3 dogs ancc dc a vixen. 

A05D98B7-6DBF-40B4-9171-895B13B37AC8.jpeg

45D37EB1-6FA6-4C45-8834-B6F4BEB08BCC.jpeg

Good write up and a great result SL. ??

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Good luck Si , let us know how you get on . ?

this little outings not worthy of a wrightup sl but its worthy of a laugh at my expense!

got to the land I was wanting to checkout late, it was already dark when I got there.. and ive not been up for over a week and was expecting the crops to be down but it wasn't to be with the bad weather over the last couple of weeks!

so I grabbed me thermal and quads and set off with the 6.5 slung over me shoulder.. the only good open bit of land is barley stubble, its been cut a while so its softening up but not enough for ninja missions.. is a fair size field as well with a rd one side and a public foot path the opposite side to the rd, there are loads of big dips so with planning you can do well in this area but I was late and didn't plan   ?

clocked the first fox within minutes of getting there, its blowing a fair old wind and at 8pm it was saying temp was 25o in the car.. now this fox isn't winding me or busting me cos of the distance, gave at a good old squeak and it didn't break its stride, it was straight through the hedge and down the public footpath.. I knew it hadn't made me so squeaked it some more!

nothing   ? so I set off walking up to the far corner, when I got to the area it bolted through I could smell the fcuker but no heat sauce to be seen so carried on, 

got about 40 yard past it and saw another one about 350yard down hedge line the last one had run along.. same thing the winds with me and its not got a clue im there, put gun on the sticks thermal to my eye and gave him a squeak, he tuned round and started doddlin towards me.. at this point I can hear snap crackle and pop behind me so I turned round and theres stinky stood about 10ft away ,  soon as he clocked me that was him away and when I turned round to get back on the other one he'd fecked off as well ?

after the double un whammy that was me away to the chinky... ill be back to that field sat night with my game plan sorted, there must be a fair few about cos I saw 3 last week about a mile away at the other end of this permission

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bugga when that happens Si.

Sat in a high seat watching for a clear shot on a Fallow whilst a fox sat at my feet ?

To shoot the fox meant the Fallow would get away and shooting the deer meant foxy cleared off sharpish.

Youl get them creatures of habit they,l be back.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, si brown said:

this little outings not worthy of a wrightup sl but its worthy of a laugh at my expense!

got to the land I was wanting to checkout late, it was already dark when I got there.. and ive not been up for over a week and was expecting the crops to be down but it wasn't to be with the bad weather over the last couple of weeks!

so I grabbed me thermal and quads and set off with the 6.5 slung over me shoulder.. the only good open bit of land is barley stubble, its been cut a while so its softening up but not enough for ninja missions.. is a fair size field as well with a rd one side and a public foot path the opposite side to the rd, there are loads of big dips so with planning you can do well in this area but I was late and didn't plan   ?

clocked the first fox within minutes of getting there, its blowing a fair old wind and at 8pm it was saying temp was 25o in the car.. now this fox isn't winding me or busting me cos of the distance, gave at a good old squeak and it didn't break its stride, it was straight through the hedge and down the public footpath.. I knew it hadn't made me so squeaked it some more!

nothing   ? so I set off walking up to the far corner, when I got to the area it bolted through I could smell the fcuker but no heat sauce to be seen so carried on, 

got about 40 yard past it and saw another one about 350yard down hedge line the last one had run along.. same thing the winds with me and its not got a clue im there, put gun on the sticks thermal to my eye and gave him a squeak, he tuned round and started doddlin towards me.. at this point I can hear snap crackle and pop behind me so I turned round and theres stinky stood about 10ft away ,  soon as he clocked me that was him away and when I turned round to get back on the other one he'd fecked off as well ?

after the double un whammy that was me away to the chinky... ill be back to that field sat night with my game plan sorted, there must be a fair few about cos I saw 3 last week about a mile away at the other end of this permission

I wish I had a pound for every time a fox has done that to me . If I can I try and squeak out in a field and check 360 with the lamp or thermal . The best one was in daylight, I was calling a fox at dusk behind a stone wall and a fox appeared face to face with me , I don’t know who was more surprised ?. You will get a better chance when the wheat is off , the weather looks to be improving.Best of luck Si

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I wish I had a pound for every time a fox has done that to me . If I can I try and squeak out in a field and check 360 with the lamp or thermal . The best one was in daylight, I was calling a fox at dusk behind a stone wall and a fox appeared face to face with me , I don’t know who was more surprised ?. You will get a better chance when the wheat is off , the weather looks to be improving.Best of luck Si

if id of known what was about id of drove the truck down to a manure dump, theres plenty of cover and the extra height opens up more safe shots!

think its time to invest in a fox boom box ?

I had one run up and bark in my face last year, I nearly sh1t a brick.. was oblivious to it as I was watching two pairing up a few hundred yards away!

bought a trail cam a few weeks back and put that out in a nice little area, gonna pick it up on the way to work and see what's moving about

Just now, si brown said:

if id of known what was about id of drove the truck down to a manure dump, theres plenty of cover and the extra height opens up more safe shots!

think its time to invest in a fox boom box ?

I had one run up and bark in my face last year, I nearly sh1t a brick.. was oblivious to it as I was watching two pairing up a few hundred yards away!

bought a trail cam a few weeks back and put that out in a nice little area, gonna pick it up on the way to work and see what's moving about

That’s the beauty of a remote caller you can set it up in a field and sit back out of sight with the wind in your favour. And you don’t get a sneak up . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

Sorry mate I haven't got past this page, did you release any in the end?

No mate, have regularly been seeing a few birds in different spots on farm. Going to see if they form a covey in coming weeks & see how they fare over winter. Will start feeding them end of this month, right through until late spring. If thin on ground next summer will have to release a few, but would rather nurture the wild ones already here.

• Like 1