Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, si brown said:

its supposed to be a scorcher tomorrow stav and warm and mega windy Friday so all being well it'll dry up for you ?

God I hope so, they need some sun on their backs, the second pen isn’t as bad as the other but it’s still not good, on the up side I haven’t found any dead ?

D2AE5C86-4DB5-4DC3-A09F-9D2A2851CBB7.jpeg

22E150B0-24DE-4F1F-BD98-CD322EC5613F.jpeg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Stavross said:

on the up side I haven’t found any dead

D'oh!! You can tell your not a sheep farmer - rule #1 of livestock keeping: never try to find a positive as they'll see it as a challenge!! 

• Haha 6
2 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

They reach nirvana if the escape results in death

We put a flock of 50 into a field with grass up to their bellies one day, next they were in a plowed field.  I could understand if it was the other way round, but that, nope

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
9 hours ago, lllluke1 said:

We put a flock of 50 into a field with grass up to their bellies one day, next they were in a plowed field.  I could understand if it was the other way round, but that, nope

Worms.

Their beaks are very sensitive for searching invertebrates out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well it’s a different day today, the rain stopped around 5am and now we have clear blue sky, the place is saturated with a forecast of more rain tomorrow, we’ll have to keep an eye on them over the next day or two they may need to go on the medicated 

AEC11357-E7C3-4D15-9F17-09EC47D26900.jpeg

AAB8026B-295C-46F9-8A37-C87B2D73EC1E.jpeg

• Sad 1
59 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Well it’s a different day today, the rain stopped around 5am and now we have clear blue sky, the place is saturated with a forecast of more rain tomorrow, we’ll have to keep an eye on them over the next day or two they may need to go on the medicated 

AEC11357-E7C3-4D15-9F17-09EC47D26900.jpeg

AAB8026B-295C-46F9-8A37-C87B2D73EC1E.jpeg

Don’t panic Mr Mannering !!! Looking at the pictures you have posted, your birds look to me to be well feathered. I’m sure they can stand a few wet days . I would just keep moving the drinkers and feeders each day so it doesn’t get too paddled up . When you refer to the medicated , what is it Avtec ? If it is give it now , it’s a coccidiostat and it will help . If they start to look ill you will need antibiotics, and you can only get that now by script from your vet , and they will want to do PM,s . But I don’t think it will come to that . As a rule of thumb , 10 days in the pen and I would leave the gate open during the day , so they can wander out , and shut it up at dusk .Then when they are all roosting off the ground , lift the wire . Do that and they will be ( best Yorkshire accent ) reet !?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hopefully they will be ok, they are on something similar to avtec I think it’s avipro, I’ve got the medicated pellets a few normally get gapes so we tend to put them out after a week or so, everyone ( mainly Hugo’s dad ) flaps about them when they first go in but they usually come good, they are up on roost already so if the pens get to paddled up then we’ll probably lift the wire a bit earlier than normal, this is the first time we have had the birds off this supplier and they are a good size 

15 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Hopefully they will be ok, they are on something similar to avtec I think it’s avipro, I’ve got the medicated pellets a few normally get gapes so we tend to put them out after a week or so, everyone ( mainly Hugo’s dad ) flaps about them when they first go in but they usually come good, they are up on roost already so if the pens get to paddled up then we’ll probably lift the wire a bit earlier than normal, this is the first time we have had the birds off this supplier and they are a good size 

What I saw in the pictures the birds look good . I don’t want to teach you how to suck eggs , cos you know what you are doing . But as regards gapes , this is what I do . Gape worms have a three week life cycle , so I treat mine at 9 weeks and then at 12 weeks with the last pellets before they go on to wheat . I’ve done if this way for a long time now and never hear a snick . Of course if it’s dry they very often don’t need treatment, but I’ve got a feeling that any keepers who have still got birds in pens will now need to treat their birds . I’ve got a theory that when it’s wet it’s difficult to medicate via the drinkers, as the birds will very often drink from puddles and wheelings . To overcome this I get Flubenvet added to some of the pellets. 
          Good luck Stavross, try not to worry too much , tell Hugo’s dad to chill out ?. All you can do is your best . ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1