Back up at the shoot

Top shooting Mark. You haven’t had a squirrel in two years? I remember some of your posts a few years back on another forum, when you had them lined up most weeks. I particularly remember a row of squirrels along a stone wall, there were a good few there fella??. Did you wipe them out??

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Top shooting Mark. You haven’t had a squirrel in two years? I remember some of your posts a few years back on another forum, when you had them lined up most weeks. I particularly remember a row of squirrels along a stone wall, there were a good few there fella??. Did you wipe them out??

Yep that was a National Trust property that I dont control anymore. There arent the numbers anymore on my other spot as I hit them hard , hopefully be a few this season.

• Like 2

A really useful tool for anyone involved in keeping game are snares. Done correctly I believe they are a humane way of dealing with problem foxes . They are also working while you are in bed . The ones I use now are compliant with the new guidelines and have a breakaway section, so if you snare a non target species ( badger) it will break away . They also relax when the animal stops pulling, so you don’t strangle them , they are just held until you get there and dispatch it . I’ve had a few this season in the snares . I check them twice a day , once in the morning and again in the evening to make sure they are set properly and haven’t been knocked over by poults or anything else . It’s always a welcome sight when you catch one . Here is a picture of a dog cub from this morning.

D9C69B08-A1DF-43C6-AE9A-4515B77E1F45.jpeg

B2FED2A5-54BD-4F18-9D21-E6D7B95B632C.jpeg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

How do the break away thingies work mate?

All it is , is a sort of wire loop that forms part of the snare . It is designed so that a fox could not pull it straight and escape, but deer and badgers will . I’ve personally never had a problem with non target species as I put deer jumps on them and set them high , so badgers just go underneath. But a neighbouring keeper tells me that they do work and he has had badgers caught and pull free . He knows this because of the fur on the wire and claw marks in the ground . 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

A very efficient part of a keepers armoury as you say working 24/7 if you have the time to check  them daily . Well done on the catch but try harder next time and catch him round the neck lol ????

Anyone who has snared foxes has this from time to time . God knows how  they do it , but a kills a kill and I’ll take em anyway they want . ?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Anyone who has snared foxes has this from time to time . God knows how  they do it , but a kills a kill and I’ll take em anyway they want . ?

Yeah, it happens. I've done it to, years ago...other keepers say the same.

27 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Just playing with ya mate , had many a rabbit snared that way too ?

• Like 1

Good to get the younguns involved ? Just been out for a rabbit mission myself in the beautiful Dale's ? The countryside is very interesting with  loads of ruined buildings , a pair of little owls came out of here. Anyway ended up with 25 as shot a few more after pic was taken.

20200807_200951.jpg

20200807_210232.jpg

• Like 6