Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

4 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Fiochi 32g 6s .... I have always used this load for all my shooting whether it be rabbits, squirrels,  pigeon , crow , pheasant  ,duck . I remember the good old days when I used to shoot a lot of rabbits with the shotty over my terriers using Baikal Record , christ they were hard hitting. Another good cartridge back then was Sellier and Bellot I'm sure you will remember them ?

Are they the fiocchi golden Pheasant 32 gram Mark? I use them myself, a good cartridge?

7 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Fiochi 32g 6s .... I have always used this load for all my shooting whether it be rabbits, squirrels,  pigeon , crow , pheasant  ,duck . I remember the good old days when I used to shoot a lot of rabbits with the shotty over my terriers using Baikal Record , christ they were hard hitting. Another good cartridge back then was Sellier and Bellot I'm sure you will remember them ?

I have a carrier bag full of Baikal record cartridges someone gave to me.

I always used to use Sellier and Bellot ounce and a quarter sevens for everything. I think they got expensive so nobody imported them anymore.

After all the recent chat about the HMR I decided to air off mine last night and see if I could see any Cubs. On arrival I thought I had taken the wrong rifle as there was a cub out in a grass field which wouldn't call ? this was before dark. I waited til dark and set off again in pursuit of reynard  , spotting one which again wouldn't call and disappeared. I then went back to the original field and there was 2 Cubs together , again no interest in the call. I sneaked up on them only for the vixen to start screaming them to come back  , 1 did but the other was content feeding on something.  I got to around 80 yards and shot the cub and discovered it was feeding on a rabbit ? Heading back to the vehicle I picked up 4 bunnies.

20200729_233516.jpg

20200730_001443.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER
  • Like 6
10 hours ago, Stavross said:

Quality, hopefully they are making a bit of a comeback around you ?

All the crops have come off around the shoot now, so that’s my weekend sorted ?

All our crops still standing & not started on any hay yet. I was all for mowing today with weather looking fair until Tuesday,  but my gaffer said not yet.... ?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

All our crops still standing & not started on any hay yet. I was all for mowing today with weather looking fair until Tuesday,  but my gaffer said not yet.... ?

Up at the shoot on top of the moors they are always about 2 weeks ahead of the lower land, lower down the oilseed rape has been sprayed off and is due to come down a week on Saturday the wheat normally comes down between 2 to 4 weeks after that, then I’m spoiled for choice and the fun begins, fingers crossed it’s good weather on the Saturday when the rape comes down because I get to shoot as it’s been combined and that’s always a good bit of shooting, even better if you get to shoot from the combine ?

• Like 1

Harvest around me is usually around 10th August. With the wet ground the wheat and barley was sown in the spring and that was late too . The wheat and barley on the shoot is still green , and is probably 5 or 6 weeks off harvest I reckon. Interesting times .

We normally harvest around now.  I only know that because today is the wife's birthday and she always gets pissed off when we can't go out for a birthday meal because I'm carting straw most the night.  I will say, we are about 2 weeks behind this year on straw.

Edited by lllluke1
  • Like 2