Back up at the shoot

Le Tossers anglais ,dont care coz someone else will wipe their bum and clear their sh.. up.Should be cameras along all the parking bays and give everyone of them the 150 quid fine our council gives out .Hit them in the beer tokens they,l soon learn a lesson or stay in their back garden and foul that up instead 

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

RIGHT, I’m extremely envious now, I’m grounded tonight, but after looking at them two pictures I’ll be escaping tomorrow night ?

I'm out just before first light, we cut silage today & still need to catch up with Peg Leg.

The landowner/shoot owner / my boss has recently decided to sell some of his business interests and spend more time on the estate . It’s kind of a drag in some ways and good in someways too . He tends to leave me alone anyway. One of the things he had done is get ducks and chickens and pigs . The pigs have been here a while as have the ducks but the chickens arrived on Thursday and it wasn’t long before Charlie showed up . He hadn’t killed any but the boss saw him a few times and that was enough and a fatwa was issued. 
           I have a network of informants who tell me of their fox sightings they are villagers and horse riders and farm workers. It’s great to have a bit of a spy network because you can build up a picture of a particular foxes habits and movements . It turns out that this fox is regularly seen around the bosses house and in particular around the back near his ornamental duck pond . The latest spotting was at last light by a five bar gate . So I set myself up this evening on an old fallen down oak overlooking the back of the pond and towards the gate . Time to use the .243 and get a daylight fox I thought . Well it became too dark even my Schmidt and bender . And so I reluctantly got out the .223 with the digisight . I was scanning with the thermal and the fox appeared behind the gate and moved underneath it and along the hedge to the left . I put the thermal down and picked up the rifle this fox was motoring and I couldn’t find him in the digisight, I picked up the thermal but he was gone . I waited for 1/2 an hour but it didn’t reappear. It had been such a brief appearance that by the time I’d seen him in the thermal and got the digisight switched on it was too late . I decided to go and check some second cut silage fields that were cut today . I had a drive around them but saw nothing but deer and rabbits. I thought just before I turn in I will go to the park gates and have a look towards where I’d seen the fox earlier. I pulled up in the truck and got out with the thermal and scanned towards the gate and there it was , I grabbed the rifle out of the truck and switched on the digisight in time to see the fox disappear under the gate ........no!!! I did a couple of hand / mouth squeaks and watched him come back under the gate and stop , looking at me 158 meters away , face on . I’ve been shooting well lately and my confidence in my set up is there so I settled myself on top of a thick gatepost and took the shot , I saw him crumple and heard the familiar sound the told me it was job done . When I went to pick him up , it was a dog fox and the bullet placement was exactly where I’d put the cross hairs , so I was very happy. Should keep the boss happy until another one comes along . How long do you reckon? 

8D3F3971-826F-4B0D-B028-A9E03ACDD72C.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
Grammatical error
  • Like 8

I was up with the lark today to try catch up with a vixen with bad leg. I've been seeing her like clockwork around 630/7am most morning. I was there at 4 this morning, no sight in usual field but obviously I was earlier. Took a walk up to a field which I cut yesterday. This field backs onto a huge wood that I know holds plenty of fox. 

As I approached the open gateway into field I stopped to have scan with binoculars. Couldn't believe my luck, sat right in middle of field was charlie curled up fast asleep with his back to me.

I set up trigger sticks, and I got into kneeling position. Looking through pard the shot was tricky that I initially thought as he was curled so tight & flat. I settled in, with crosshairs on back of head. Confident I was on him I squeezed t-bolt trigger. Dog fox barely moved a muscle, was like he just carried on sleeping as the little 17gr went right into back of skull at 86yds using pards lrf. 

Moving to far side of field where i know of a run they use where they duck under a gate. I set up with woods on my right, expecting any action to come from my left under the gate. Within minutes of me calling, I hear something in edge of woods to my right!! I turn as quietly as possible to see a ginger face poking out of vegetation about 25yds from me but she clocked my movement and was off. 

No sign of peg leg at her usual time slot, will have to keep working on her.

20200527_050716.jpg

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I was up with the lark today to try catch up with a vixen with bad leg. I've been seeing her like clockwork around 630/7am most morning. I was there at 4 this morning, no sight in usual field but obviously I was earlier. Took a walk up to a field which I cut yesterday. This field backs onto a huge wood that I know holds plenty of fox. 

As I approached the open gateway into field I stopped to have scan with binoculars. Couldn't believe my luck, sat right in middle of field was charlie curled up fast asleep with his back to me.

I set up trigger sticks, and I got into kneeling position. Looking through pard the shot was tricky that I initially thought as he was curled so tight & flat. I settled in, with crosshairs on back of head. Confident I was on him I squeezed t-bolt trigger. Fox barely moved a muscle, was like he just carried on sleeping as the little 17gr went right into back of skull at 86yds using pards lrf. 

Moving to far side of field where i know of a run they use where they duck under a gate. I set up with woods on my right, expecting any action to come from my left under the gate. Within minutes of me calling, I hear something in edge of woods to my right!! I turn as quietly as possible to see a ginger face poking out of vegetation about 25yds from me but she clocked my movement and was off. 

20200527_050716.jpg

???? bet you are over the moon with that mate, worth getting up at sparrow fart to get your first fox with a new rifle ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Well done Ben , early bird catches the worm and all that ! I love being up out at that time of day , plenty of time to sleep when you are dead ! ?

That’s it, shoot while your alive, sleep when your dead ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Stavross said:

That’s it, shoot while your alive, sleep when your dead ?

Ha ha ? When I get My birds to wood and I’m out morning, noon and night  , My Mrs says “look at you , you’re knackered , what’s the point “? Women don’t get it , I’ve got all winter to catch up with some shut eye !!!

• Like 4
On 27/05/2020 at 00:45, shovel leaner said:

The landowner/shoot owner / my boss has recently decided to sell some of his business interests and spend more time on the estate . It’s kind of a drag in some ways and good in someways too . He tends to leave me alone anyway. One of the things he had done is get ducks and chickens and pigs . The pigs have been here a while as have the ducks but the chickens arrived on Thursday and it wasn’t long before Charlie showed up . He hadn’t killed any but the boss saw him a few times and that was enough and a fatwa was issued. 
           I have a network of informants who tell me of their fox sightings they are villagers and horse riders and farm workers. It’s great to have a bit of a spy network because you can build up a picture of a particular foxes habits and movements . It turns out that this fox is regularly seen around the bosses house and in particular around the back near his ornamental duck pond . The latest spotting was at last light by a five bar gate . So I set myself up this evening on an old fallen down oak overlooking the back of the pond and towards the gate . Time to use the .243 and get a daylight fox I thought . Well it became too dark even my Schmidt and bender . And so I reluctantly got out the .223 with the digisight . I was scanning with the thermal and the fox appeared behind the gate and moved underneath it and along the hedge to the left . I put the thermal down and picked up the rifle this fox was motoring and I couldn’t find him in the digisight, I picked up the thermal but he was gone . I waited for 1/2 an hour but it didn’t reappear. It had been such a brief appearance that by the time I’d seen him in the thermal and got the digisight switched on it was too late . I decided to go and check some second cut silage fields that were cut today . I had a drive around them but saw nothing but deer and rabbits. I thought just before I turn in I will go to the park gates and have a look towards where I’d seen the fox earlier. I pulled up in the truck and got out with the thermal and scanned towards the gate and there it was , I grabbed the rifle out of the truck and switched on the digisight in time to see the fox disappear under the gate ........no!!! I did a couple of hand / mouth squeaks and watched him come back under the gate and stop , looking at me 158 meters away , face on . I’ve been shooting well lately and my confidence in my set up is there so I settled myself on top of a thick gatepost and took the shot , I saw him crumple and heard the familiar sound the told me it was job done . When I went to pick him up , it was a dog fox and the bullet placement was exactly where I’d put the cross hairs , so I was very happy. Should keep the boss happy until another one comes along . How long do you reckon? 

8D3F3971-826F-4B0D-B028-A9E03ACDD72C.jpeg

Persistence usually pays off when after old Reynard, well done! 

Oh and i reckon a replacement will turn up in about a fortnight.

Edited by ianm
  • Like 1
On 27/05/2020 at 07:52, BenBhoy said:

I set up trigger sticks, and I got into kneeling position. Looking through pard the shot was tricky that I initially thought as he was curled so tight & flat. I settled in, with crosshairs on back of head. Confident I was on him I squeezed t-bolt trigger. Dog fox barely moved a muscle, was like he just carried on sleeping as the little 17gr went right into back of skull at 86yds using pards lrf. 

20200527_050716.jpg

Well done on getting your fox with a new rifle!

Cracking little scopes those pards for the money i think.

However next time try to be a little more sporting. Shooting the poor chap in the back of his swede whilst having forty winks just isn't done old chap bad form and all that! ?

• Haha 3