Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

4 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Why did you have to lay it twice ?

Yeah, some little buggers decided they  needed it more than the kids, probably sat in the back garden of there scruffy house on it, drinking cheap beer and snorting there giro, hopefully the local paper will print it and someone will grass the little rats up

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I laid some of this artificial grass for a mate of mine several years because he has trouble with his knees. I had never done it before and he told me he had read it had to be fixed it place with six inch nails. So that is what i did, is that how you did it Stav?

2 hours ago, ianm said:

I laid some of this artificial grass for a mate of mine several years because he has trouble with his knees. I had never done it before and he told me he had read it had to be fixed it place with six inch nails. So that is what i did, is that how you did it Stav?

How I do it is get the ground level with sharp sand, use decking boards around the edge to make a frame, just sat in the sand, lay the grass out and joint it with the glue and tape, then screw it to the decking board every 6” with 2” screws, once it’s down it needs a lot of kiln dried sand on it, the pile of the grass should always face the way you look at it and if you joint it the pile must run the same way on the glued edge ( almost sound like I know what I’m doing ? )

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ianm said:

I didn't know that....did it cure his knees?

• Haha 2

I’ve just spoken to the nursery owner and they have the lad on camera robbing the grass, put his picture on Facebook and 4 people named the smackhead in 5 minutes, police have now arrested him and he’s admitted it, won’t get the grass back but at least they now know who he is and it’s not the first time he’s done it

• Like 9

Amazing isnt it ,the ickkle victim of a pooh childhood will get told dont do it again .Not the scumbag smackhead that needs locking up and the  magistrate will get the magic carpet back to la la land 

• Like 3

The work started today up at the shoot, a bit of social distancing pen repairs, Hugo’s dad on pop hole duty and me on fence posts, managed to get one pen sprayed off around the electric fence, a good bit of graft that needed to be done and a enjoyable couple of hours in the woods

still got a few foxes about over the far side of the shoot  so a couple of cage traps are set to see if we can have a few of them

25173C30-1E62-49C7-A2FC-98D1CBA9A025.jpeg

2A95A8E7-3C9E-412A-A76B-775A0EAD567D.jpeg

• Like 1

Spotted some partridges up there as well, next door put a few hundred down last year and a few have made their way over to us and have nested, but with the crows, magpies, jays and foxes I don’t hold much hope for them, still finding a few chewed up hens so hopefully we’ll get on top of the foxes now we are back at it

38D6AD9C-EB14-432C-9B5F-4B26E24F0987.jpeg

972D5394-D486-4A99-A231-357D1222C2A2.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow where do you get those giant black arrows ,my foxing will improve no end if theyre followed by giant black arrows :lol:

Joking aside nice to see your shoots going ahead and young Hugo,s earning his climbing frame with some good old fashioned Victorian child labour .

Our Partridge,s are wiley as a fox and will run away rather than fly ,they must know the "no ground game rule" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1