Back up at the shoot

Back up at the shoot for the first time in about 2 months, mainly to see what needs doing as we have committed and ordered the birds, to say a lot is an understatement. First job is to sort the foxes out, not as much activity as I was expecting but I’ve found 2 active earths so far and ones been having a good old time of it snatching hens, now for a run over the other side to see what’s going on over there, before marking a plan as to what gets done first ?

1CC6714B-1C9B-404F-8D60-007212170A88.jpeg

939FA0FF-4BB9-4E51-B208-209F9F263728.jpeg

DD5F6655-9399-434B-910F-EE2E1DD54AF5.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

A few more from around the shoot, I’ve missed being around these parts, watching the roe and fallow. My plan was to go back up tonight to have a go at the gingers but I’ve had a phone call say a fox has been in the hen house at another property, killing everything, it’s left 2 in a field so I’ve told them to leave them where they are and I’ll be up tonight, for now the shoot will have to wait

419D6E17-9953-47BE-89D7-43AA07D1B067.jpeg

16CF253E-D62D-4377-9CC5-A63D37C30E0A.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice photos Stavross, I start back full time on the shoot Monday . First job is locating litters of cubs and getting them gone . 
       I’ve already been sorting cover crops out . Getting the weeds sprayed off and getting the ground ready for drilling Maize. 
       I’ve got a bit of time now to get the pens up together and the predators sorted out . I love this time of year . So much to see and do much beauty to see in nature, sometimes you have to remind yourself to stop every now and then and just appreciate it . I will get my iPhone out and take some photos and put them up , I’m no David Bailey but the British countryside doesn’t need much help to look good . 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think first proper job will be to spray off around the pens and then I’ve got about 12 snapped posts over the 3 pens, then I’ll start on the ride cutting ( oh joy ) ?

right I need to get my arse into gear and get up to find this chicken muncher

5C19746A-4D61-497F-AB11-625C61570A80.jpeg

Edited by Stavross

We have been up on our shoot. Sorted electric fence up. A new gate on one pen and all feeders and gradually getting cleaned. Plenty to do. but as the situation is, a few of us can spare the time at the moment to get jobs done. We have told all our maturer syndicate members they don't have to do any work parties etc. But can just turn up and shoot this year. Which has given a few guys a lot to look forward to with the current situation.

• Like 1

Well it’s the first time I’ve ever had one run after been hit with the sako 70gr chucked at it from the .243, it was dead running, but run it did, straight down the field and onto next doors land, I hang my head in shame and take full responsibility for the shot placement 

Edited by Stavross
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Well it’s the first time I’ve ever had one run after been hit with the sako 70gr chucked at it from the .243, it was dead running, but run it did, straight down the field and onto next doors land, I hang my head in shame and take full responsibility for the shot placement 

Stav, don't worry about it. Only in the movies do you get bang flops all the time.

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

I wouldn't worry about it either , seen them run loads of times even with a perfect shot. 

• Like 3