Ferreting dog.

I'm glad you put up that second photo. I felt a bit of a wally for carrying my current youngest around in a bag when he was a pup but I wanted to get him out and about as early as possible and it was the only way I could think of doing it. My family used to joke that I'd finally given in and bought a handbag dog. She looks a corker!

• Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

after a lot of thinking i decided to go with a collie, i have got myself a nice bitch pup. only had it a couple of days and really like her so far. hopefully i have done the right thing, not going to

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Neal said:

I'm glad you put up that second photo. I felt a bit of a wally for carrying my current youngest around in a bag when he was a pup but I wanted to get him out and about as early as possible and it was the only way I could think of doing it. My family used to joke that I'd finally given in and bought a handbag dog. She looks a corker!

when i was 17, 40yrs back i had a Russel terrier, i used to go ferreting on a trial motorbike, carried the terrier in a newspaper delivery bag with its napper sticking out, would often go 30/40 mile like that, ferret box net bag spade on a bit of john towie, i would get locked up today, lol.

• Like 5

I think there is some thing in getting them out as a pup. My jr as a kid I carried in a bag as a pup because he couldn't walk to where we needed to be. I can still picture him now wobbling about over the holes and hearing a rumble under his feet and the look on his face when a rabbit exploded out in front of him. Turned into the best and most tuned in ferreting dog I ever had 

• Like 3

I'm a non-driver (I took three tests in my 30s but failed them so I gave up; I prefer walking anyway) so all my dog walks have to be accessed on foot. When my kids were younger (they're now 11 and 8 ) I had an amazing off road buggy for them and I used to put Noggin in the basket underneath. I often thought about transforming it into a ferreting buggy when the kids no longer needed it but sadly by then the rabbits had left my permission with the progress (for want of a better word) of several housing estates which now cover most of it and continue to grow.

Maybe I'll start again when we eventually move to Devon!...or get some sheep instead?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Little bitch is 4 1/2 months now, doing great. Clever little bitch. Had her out doing a bit of pest control the other day, farmer wanted a few taken off some silage fields. I decided to take her along for her first proper look out. She was fantastic, marking, very steady, anticipating bolts, just a pleasure.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/06/2020 at 22:01, lifelong cumbrian said:

when i was 17, 40yrs back i had a Russel terrier, i used to go ferreting on a trial motorbike, carried the terrier in a newspaper delivery bag with its napper sticking out, would often go 30/40 mile like that, ferret box net bag spade on a bit of john towie, i would get locked up today, lol.

Luxury lol i had a postmans pushbike and used carry me terrier in a fishing basket on the front ? Lol the things you do for a bit of sport eh ? ? 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Luxury lol i had a postmans pushbike and used carry me terrier in a fishing basket on the front ? Lol the things you do for a bit of sport eh ? ? 

when i was at school we used to run the dog beside the push bike, was a lab x god knows what, would ferret all day and run it home, never needed its nails clipped.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

when i was at school we used to run the dog beside the push bike, was a lab x god knows what, would ferret all day and run it home, never needed its nails clipped.

Many a poor old postman would often lose there bikes never to be found again there were a few very much the same but changed colour from the post office red ? There bags came in handy aswell ? ? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2020 at 21:34, Loton Moocher said:

Many a poor old postman would often lose there bikes never to be found again there were a few very much the same but changed colour from the post office red ? There bags came in handy aswell ? ? 

I had a postman's bike. Red and white with front rack,bought quite legally at a police lost bicycle sale.

What l can't quite fathom is why someone in the lost and found property deparment  didn't look at it and say " That's a post bike," and give it back to the GPO!

Edited by comanche
  • Haha 2
46 minutes ago, comanche said:

I had a postman's bike. Red and white with front rack,bought quite legally at a police lost bicycle sale.

What l can't quite fathom is why someone in the lost and found property deparment  didn't look at it and say " That's a post bike," and give it back to the GPO!

Good tho wanna they me and. Terrier and ferrets did some miles on mine , they dont have them anymore they pull a golf trolly instead must heath and safety or something 

My favourite bike was a big red one with a massive basket on the front...similar to the Pashley ones. It was the one I learnt to ride on and was originally my mum's. Ironically, because I learnt to ride on that I never got the hang of riding blokes bikes so I still can't do that thing you lot do where you have the left foot on the left pedal, push off and swing the right leg over the back wheel to meet the right pedal. I have to stand astride the bike and push off.? 

• Haha 1