Ferreting dog.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

after a lot of thinking i decided to go with a collie, i have got myself a nice bitch pup. only had it a couple of days and really like her so far. hopefully i have done the right thing, not going to

Posted Images

On 18/09/2020 at 19:40, lifelong cumbrian said:

I watched quite a lot of videos about Kelpies before i got the Collie, they all said they were Collie Dingo mix, i really like the look of them but it was only the barking that put me off, hopefully i have made the right decision. Had the Collie out this morning with the ferret, only got 7 but she did well again.

Lots of confusion about the Antipodean herding breeds...?

Folk (even today) still get confused twixt Black and Tan, Huntaways and Kelpies....different dogs, specifically bred for different tasks...

Its a shame that when the Collie lurcher boom was at its height, in the 1990's ,. that the wordsmiths of that time did not seek to offer some education and information regarding all the various pastoral breeds...I suppose on reflection,..it did not suit their needs,...and they did not possess the required practical knowledge, to pass such valuable data on....?

Luckily, there are now plenty of informed guys and experienced hands available ,....so hopefully,... its onward and upward...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Oh yes,..I forgot to say,...I have a book for you Neal, I feel your continued support for the breed, deserves a small reward....?

I'll drop it in when I am next round your way...

All the best, Phil.?

PICT0089 (3).JPG

Thanks Phil...I'm fully expecting it to be either "The Border Collie" by Iris Combe or "The Working Bedlington" by John Glover. ??

Is the black and tan in the other photo Taz? I recognize the floppy ear from previous photos as I've not been fortunate to have met him in the flesh. Ned's is the same.

• Like 1
On 19/09/2020 at 10:18, Neal said:

Thanks Phil...I'm fully expecting it to be either "The Border Collie" by Iris Combe or "The Working Bedlington" by John Glover. ??

Is the black and tan in the other photo Taz? I recognize the floppy ear from previous photos as I've not been fortunate to have met him in the flesh. Ned's is the same.

Glovers books are handy for wipeing your arse with ? the man has made a mockery of the working bedlington no suprise i wonder who hos teacher was ???

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Glovers books are handy for wipeing your arse with ? the man has made a mockery of the working bedlington no suprise i wonder who hos teacher was ???

It was far better than I expected (or deserve): a signed first edition of "Dingoes Don't Bark" by Lionel Hudson!:toast: 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Neal said:

It was far better than I expected (or deserve): a signed first edition of "Dingoes Don't Bark" by Lionel Hudson!:toast: 

? Hope you enjoy your read mate i canna comment as my only experience with a kelpie is one a mate uses to move his cattle which its good at  , only downfall its sees me as fair game ? see it wanna as bad as you thought ( glover ) tut tut l. Dunno ??

• Haha 1
On 18/09/2020 at 13:53, OldPhil said:

Oh yes,..I forgot to say,...I have a book for you Neal, I feel your continued support for the breed, deserves a small reward....?

I'll drop it in when I am next round your way...

All the best, Phil.?

PICT0089 (3).JPG

Lovely pic 'OldPhil'...pretty sure that was when I tagged along to your place with DC many many moons ago?

• Like 1
On 23/09/2020 at 21:36, postie said:

Lovely pic 'OldPhil'...pretty sure that was when I tagged along to your place with DC many many moons ago?

Yes, we were pleased to have you guys down here..?

Seems like a lifetime ago....

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5
On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 22:46, W. Katchum said:

Are they half kelpiex greyhound? Very nice an workman like?

17 hours ago, postie said:

Yes mate they are...just found out that pic was about 15 years ago ?....feck me I'm getting old?

frig off the pair of them look like right old mongrels ........

the two dogs look nice though....:D

• Haha 1
On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 21:36, postie said:

don't see much of you on here postie....and les of d.c ......

are the pair of you still out hunting ect...

2 hours ago, TOMO said:

don't see much of you on here postie....and les of d.c ......

are the pair of you still out hunting ect...

Hi Tomo, hope you're well mate...

Still doing a bit and it is a bit...same as a lot of places now the bunnies are pretty scarce at the moment ?.  D.C. is a full time pestie now...I think he's moving away from the lurchers though.

How about yourself...what are you running mate? 

1 hour ago, postie said:

Hi Tomo, hope you're well mate...

Still doing a bit and it is a bit...same as a lot of places now the bunnies are pretty scarce at the moment ?.  D.C. is a full time pestie now...I think he's moving away from the lurchers though.

How about yourself...what are you running mate? 

If he's moving away from the lurchers, can I have his 3/4 kelpie??