Ferreting dog.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

after a lot of thinking i decided to go with a collie, i have got myself a nice bitch pup. only had it a couple of days and really like her so far. hopefully i have done the right thing, not going to

Posted Images

10 hours ago, troyboy17 said:

Why don't people breed the collie whippet u here there loads o Bedlington x whippets being sold can't get enough of them  but the collie whippet a little bit bigger mine was 22tts more obedient specially for ferreting 

When i was a kid thats all there ever was well maybe collie whippet x whippet first class ferreting dogs and doubled as exellent ratters aswell 

• Like 1

fullsizeoutput_ca6.jpeg.12525781994760e1ecbaf371e578d2d1.jpeg284990726_caKYCFE9TsKur3yLaqqdw.jpg.2fe4a8c582f9ef151920e4ed4aaf1e6f.jpgLittle bitch was 6 months yesterday, coming on great, marking great, very steady around the warrens, just wants to work, very very happy with her, think she could be a real good one for me. About 17 3/4 ", not going to be a big one. That pic be at 4 1/2 months old, had her on a bit of pest control, she did great.

• Like 11

The other feature I like, which most people dislike, is a light eye whereas most shepherds don't like them. Not light as in blue but just not dark brown. Not sure why but I think it's because I can read their face better. I heard somewhere once that that's why most police German shepherds are "normal" markings rather than pure black or white i.e. because the handlers can read the facial expressions better with a black and tan mask with the eyebrow points etc.

• Like 1
On 12/09/2020 at 18:03, Neal said:

There was a genetic study done recently which claimed there was no dingo blood in kelpies. However, there was one done a few years previously which claimed there was about 4%. I read a book about the similarities between wolves and dogs which was written by a human geneticist. He said the problem with genetic tests is that they don't all necessarily give you the same results. Some only show information going back through either the male or female line. In the latter case you'd miss out on anything, for example, passed on by mitochondrial dna. As most successful kelpie studs tend to have a particularly strong bitch line then this could miss out vital evidence. If there'd been no Biddy's daughter, Kelpie's daughter, Kelpie or Black Bess then there'd have been no kelpie in the first place.

Before the advent of genetic testing there was no way of knowing just by word of mouth as (according to the Tony Parson's book) some who used dingo blood denied it as dingoes were not held in high regard by a lot of people. Conversely, some people took the opposite tack and claimed dingo blood when there wasn't any. I suppose the latter was because some liked the notoriety. I guess it's a bit like how, back in the 80s and 90s, anybody with a dog descended from Richard Jones claimed it was a beardie cross and left out the border and I've known people to advertise dogs from Dave Sleight as kelpie crosses and, once again, to ignore the fact that they had just as much border collie. Another example is how people over claim collie blood just because a dog is merle when there could be virtually none in it. My brother once had a lovely lurcher called Flint who looked to all intents and purposes like a large solid merle collie x whippet but he was only about 1/8 or 1/16 collie and the rest was, I think, whippet, greyhound and terrier. I've lost count of the number of "collie lurchers" I've seen which were basically sight hounds but a distant ancestor was a merle collie.

Edited to add: those are my favourite type of kelpie i.e. the dingo looking ones with a short tight coat and a large head and dingo eyes. I see more and more now which look like black and tan smooth coated collies...not that there's anything wrong with that!

I believe the original Kelpie may well have had, Dingo blood in its makeup ?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5
19 hours ago, OldPhil said:

I believe the original Kelpie may well have had, Dingo blood in its makeup ?

Ranks Ferreting Feb 2006 015_edited-1.jpg

I agree "young" Phil! I fogot to mention in the earlier post (my wife says that trying to hold a conversation with me is like a Ronnie Corbett monologue sketch as I keep going off at odd tangents, thereby forgetting what I originally intended to say) that there was a book written in 2015 (as a follow up to a previous dvd) which looked into the heritage of the kelpie. It's a fascinating read as he's literally gone around the world and back to source his evidence. He even spoke to the descendents of the bloke who bred "Kelpie" (i.e. the dam of "Kelpie" from whom the breed got its name).

Two facts which were new to me were that there was a lot of Border Collie added to some lines after they'd also been imported (Border collies weren't a recognised breed until after kelpies were already developed). Also, further back, there's evidence that the shepherd who's collies were used to breed the original black and tan collies, which were sent over to Australia, was the same one who supplied Queen Victoria with her collies. And I'm sure I read somewhere (possibly in the same book) that it was the same line of collie from which black and tan setters get their colouring...or was it vice versa?

Who knows Neal?

There has been a lot of 'facts' regarding the Kelpie ancestry ,jotted down in books and manuals, over the decades,...and much of this info is contradictory...

I was on the Kelpie case long before they even came to the UK...?

I have relatives in both Oz and New Zealand , and they have always sent me images of their Sheepdogs, Cattle Dogs, Huntaways and Smithfields...

Being brought up with farm curs, I have a great interest in the herding breeds and only ever got into lurchers and running dogs, when the need arose..?

Only a fool would ignore the detailed research of the most recent Kelpie text,..but whatever the conclusions one way or other, I still feel that somewhere down the line, down under,..the blood of the Wild Dog Dingo crept in there, somewhere...?

• Like 1

Oh yes,..I forgot to say,...I have a book for you Neal, I feel your continued support for the breed, deserves a small reward....?

I'll drop it in when I am next round your way...

All the best, Phil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I watched quite a lot of videos about Kelpies before i got the Collie, they all said they were Collie Dingo mix, i really like the look of them but it was only the barking that put me off, hopefully i have made the right decision. Had the Collie out this morning with the ferret, only got 7 but she did well again.

• Like 1