Ferreting dog.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

after a lot of thinking i decided to go with a collie, i have got myself a nice bitch pup. only had it a couple of days and really like her so far. hopefully i have done the right thing, not going to

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

thanks for the post mate, something else to think about, its the barking that concerns me the most, last thing i want is a noisy ferreting dog.

They might be ok ferreting,never seen one,just when bored they bark constantly.Bloke on the property behind me has 5 and they bark on nightfall, sometimes all night ?.

• Like 2

Most things will ferret mate every dog ive had mark a hole cover a bolt. The only people that will tell you any different is folk trying to say what they own is better than that bla bla bla. Just get dog out with ferrets n learn it asap

• Like 3

Aah: it's nice to know I've been missed...even though it's only because I'm a boring kelpie nerd!

I've replied to your PM now lifelong cumbrian. Sorry for the delay; I didn't come on here for a few months and I've only just come back during the last couple of weeks. However, my son is using my chromebook for his home learning during the week so I mainly come on at the weekend unless I can grab the chromebook before he wakes up!

I've had mixed emotions about the barking. My first kelpie, Rusty, barked all day long while I was at work...but none of my neighbours told me for months so I didn't realize he was doing it. When I moved house my new neighbours had two very vocal dogs and Rusty stopped barking...weird! Amber was as quiet as a mouse and the only time Scout made a noise was when she was screaming in frustration at a rabbit. Noggin barks at treed squirrels and Ned...well he did bark when left alone but he and Noggin are now house dogs as I have a neighbour who kindly used to let me know every single time they barked when I was out and they were in the run. As a result my wife and I decided it was simply easier to keep them inside. I've now retired from teaching as well so can be with them during the day. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Neal said:

Aah: it's nice to know I've been missed...even though it's only because I'm a boring kelpie nerd!

I've replied to your PM now lifelong cumbrian. Sorry for the delay; I didn't come on here for a few months and I've only just come back during the last couple of weeks. However, my son is using my chromebook for his home learning during the week so I mainly come on at the weekend unless I can grab the chromebook before he wakes up!

I've had mixed emotions about the barking. My first kelpie, Rusty, barked all day long while I was at work...but none of my neighbours told me for months so I didn't realize he was doing it. When I moved house my new neighbours had two very vocal dogs and Rusty stopped barking...weird! Amber was as quiet as a mouse and the only time Scout made a noise was when she was screaming in frustration at a rabbit. Noggin barks at treed squirrels and Ned...well he did bark when left alone but he and Noggin are now house dogs as I have a neighbour who kindly used to let me know every single time they barked when I was out and they were in the run. As a result my wife and I decided it was simply easier to keep them inside. I've now retired from teaching as well so can be with them during the day. 

Thank you for your reply Neal. I must say the barking concerns me,  both around the house and yappng in the field, knowing my luck i will get a singer, i am still working for another 3 yrs and my mrs works so the dog would be in the kennel all day on its own, our old terrier lives in the house but i wouldnt dare leave a young dog in the house all day plus i woulnt leave a young hyper bitch and a old terrier bitch together anyway. Makes me think I might possibly be better waiting until i retire to take a kelpie on when i can have it with me all day, i always found my my little beddy whippet type lurchers to be very quiet and and bomb proof around the house, very easy going. More thinking to do lol.

• Like 1

I had a half cross (half kelpie/collie half greyhound from Dave Sleight's third kelpie cross litter) and he was amazingly calm too. It was the difference in his temperament compared to previous collie crosses I'd known which made me get Rusty. Having said that, the collie line went back to the chocolate collie called Moss owned by Barry Sharpe which, I've been led to believe, was particularly good too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

after a lot of thinking i decided to go with a collie, i have got myself a nice bitch pup. only had it a couple of days and really like her so far. hopefully i have done the right thing, not going to be a big one and will have a short coat, just what i wanted. looking forward to the training. 

• Like 13

Good luck and I hope she turns out well for you.

To be honest, I've come to realise that it was probably just Rusty himself that I particularly liked rather than kelpies as a breed. He was just one of those one off dogs who made life a pleasure. None of the four kelpies I've had since have been as good as him. Ironically, I only bought him to breed a replacement for the lurcher I had at the time but he was so amazing I presumed all kelpies were like him. Although he was a pure bred he didn't come with papers so was a fraction of the price of the ones I've had since too. I'm beginning to think I need to either a) get an adult next time or b) buy a kelpie bitch instead and then pick a decent stud dog to mate her to when the time comes for a replacement...whether that be kelpie, collie, lurcher or sighthound sire. ?

Sounds like the perfect life for a dog; simply joining in with whatever it is you're doing and gaining experience all the time. That's why one of the most important attributes (if not THE most important) is not only a good temperament but one which fits yours.

• Like 2