Ferreting dog.

Any of you lads and lasses ever tried a pure kelpie for the ferreting job, had terriers, lurchers and a Collie for the job over the years. Seriously thinking of getting a kelpie bitch pup to work with the ferrets and be a companion dog as well for fishing and mole trapping and other countryside activities. A bit of input off experienced folk could be a great help, thank you.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

after a lot of thinking i decided to go with a collie, i have got myself a nice bitch pup. only had it a couple of days and really like her so far. hopefully i have done the right thing, not going to

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Who's the fella had several pures on here, don't see him on anymore, was it Neal? 

yeah neal had 3  i think...hes not on much these days 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

If you ever wanna see mine I’m not that far away pal, an if you wanna wait till season starts I’ll sort a couple days out with her for ye if you want ?

Thanks for the offer mate. I have come to the conclusion after a lot of time thinking that i am going to try a pure kelpie, Been thinking which way to go dog wise for 12 months. I have retired my young lurcher to my son for a pet and my daughter is wanting my old beddy whippet (10) for a pet, she has had her for the last 3 months, that leaves me dog less but my mate has a good young marking dog. think the Lurcher job is buggered for me, less and less farmers wanting lurchers on, joe public always on the case, all i need is a good biddable marking dog that can do other things with me in the countryside and farmers will be a lot more accepting to a kelpie, Ive had a Collie which was great for me but i fancy a new challenge, I am the kind of person that will put a lot of time into a pup and get the best i can out of it. I have never had a Kelpie but have trained plenty other types so i am going to give it a go.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
On 13/05/2020 at 06:56, lifelong cumbrian said:

Any of you lads and lasses ever tried a pure kelpie for the ferreting job, had terriers, lurchers and a Collie for the job over the years. Seriously thinking of getting a kelpie bitch pup to work with the ferrets and be a companion dog as well for fishing and mole trapping and other countryside activities. A bit of input off experienced folk could be a great help, thank you.

If they are like the working ones here you have to keep them busy.They aren't suitable for town life,if on a chain for any time they bark constantly.They have endless stamina and are tough and healthy.If you have the dog with you mostly she maybe ok.I'm talking pure working kelpies not pet type.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

If they are like the working ones here you have to keep them busy.They aren't suitable for town life,if on a chain for any time they bark constantly.They have endless stamina and are tough and healthy.If you have the dog with you mostly she maybe ok.I'm talking pure working kelpies not pet type.

thanks for the post mate, something else to think about, its the barking that concerns me the most, last thing i want is a noisy ferreting dog.

• Like 1