Fox, Badger, Hares and mammals - please add yours

43 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

Hi Greb,

I use a 1DX mkii and have a 7D mkii as my backup. 3 lenses I use are all Canon L-series = 24-105mm f4, 100-400mm mkii and a 500mm f4 and I have a 1.4 extender which I sometimes use with the 500mm making it 700mm f5.6

The 7D mkii is a cracking body and combined with equally good lens is a lethal combination.

I owned a Sigma 150-600 for about a month before I sold as produced very soft (not sharp) images, tried the Tamron version and the same...

I would seriously recommend a Canon 100-400 mkii if funds allow, if not then a Canon 400 f5.6 would be my 2nd choice (One of the sharpest lenses on the market and not too expensive) and 3rd choice would be a 300mm f4 which could be paired up at a later date with a 1.4 extended so would be 420mm 5.6

All above lenses are L-series, image quality, build and weather sealing is far superior to any 3rd party lenses...

Too many people get hung up on mega focal length (lens envy/need a bigger lens syndrome), and in all honesty good knowledge of subject and fieldcraft is the way foreword for amazing images, not the size of lens...

I have heard good reviews of the Tamron 100-400 for image quality and sharpness but have no personal experience of it a s only know 1 person who owned/used it, he was very impressed..

If there’s any help or advice i can give then just drop me a pm and I’ll try to help as much as possible and maybe save you some money too.

I've been reading up on the 90D and read it's great for the money, it's auto focus is not quite on par with the 7D MK 2 but trumps it it nearly every other department as it's much newer. 

So you would choose Canon lenses over Sigma lenses or is it just a case of the more you pay the higher the quality? 

• Like 1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Good stuff mate, did you have any luck locally ?

Thanks mate, kind a local, never managed to get back to where you showed me but I really should... 

Buzzing to see them and photograph ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

Thanks mate, kind a local, never managed to get back to where you showed me but I really should... 

Buzzing to see them and photograph ?

If you want to photograph badgers there is a huge sette on one of my permissions where I often watch them if you dont mind travelling to Durham 

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I've been reading up on the 90D and read it's great for the money, it's auto focus is not quite on par with the 7D MK 2 but trumps it it nearly every other department as it's much newer. 

So you would choose Canon lenses over Sigma lenses or is it just a case of the more you pay the higher the quality? 

Greb, the 90D is in my eyes the better choice and the slight difference in autofocus wouldn’t even be noticeable - trust me... Especially if you could pair with a canon L-series lens - they are known for faster focusing with better motors, some 3rd party lenses tend to “hunt” - take longer to find focus...

I would choose the cheapest Canon L-series lens (even 2nd hand) over a new Sigma or Tamron 150-600 any day...

You can pick up a Canon 300mm F4 L for about £500 and a 1.4 mk iii extender for about £200 so then you have a 300mm f4 and a 420mm f5.6 both L - series, Image quality will piss all over any Sigma or Tamron even if you have to crop the image a little, then in time because it’s a quality lens and will hold its value, upgrade to say the Canon 100-400 mkii which is awesome and can carry all day long...

Money can play a big part in buying lenses but knowing where to spend the money is the secret...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

Greb, the 90D is in my eyes the better choice and the slight difference in autofocus wouldn’t even be noticeable - trust me... Especially if you could pair with a canon L-series lens - they are known for faster focusing with better motors, some 3rd party lenses tend to “hunt” - take longer to find focus...

I would choose the cheapest Canon L-series lens (even 2nd hand) over a new Sigma or Tamron 150-600 any day...

You can pick up a Canon 300mm F4 L for about £500 and a 1.4 mk iii extender for about £200 so then you have a 300mm f4 and a 420mm f5.6 both L - series, Image quality will piss all over any Sigma or Tamron even if you have to crop the image a little, then in time because it’s a quality lens and will hold its value, upgrade to say the Canon 100-400 mkii which is awesome and can carry all day long...

Money can play a big part in buying lenses but knowing where to spend the money is the secret...

Thanks, the 90D is also cheaper than the 7D from what I've seen. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

Buy all my equipment from these, normally here within 3 days, they offer a 3 year warranty and Canon U.K. will honour the warranty...

https://panamoz.com/gb/canon-eos-90-d-dslr-camera-body-only.html

Cheers mate. 

To keep the Mrs onboard what general function lens do you recommend? 

One for portraits, kid and garden shots, etc... 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

If you want to photograph badgers there is a huge sette on one of my permissions where I often watch them if you dont mind travelling to Durham 

Definitely an offer I would certainly take you up on FH, April/May would be great time to start watching them really... So long as yourself and landowner would be happy for me to visit ?

1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Cheers mate. 

To keep the Mrs onboard what general function lens do you recommend? 

One for portraits, kid and garden shots, etc... 

I use my 24-105 for that sort of thing which can be had used for £250 or if you’re looking at less money then “kit lenses” are probably a good option like an 18-55mm and say a 70-300mm to go with would cover all bases from kids in the garden to family outings to wildlife - not high end but good enough on a tight budget to get you started out...

Unless you’re spending serious money on a lens £1k plus... Then buy 2nd hand from the likes of Wex or MPB

Interesting video you posted

• Like 1
2 hours ago, zandy01 said:

Definitely an offer I would certainly take you up on FH, April/May would be great time to start watching them really... So long as yourself and landowner would be happy for me to visit ?

I would accompany you at all times as the landowner doesnt like people wandering about. Obviously it will depend on Covid restrictions. Contact me nearer the time ?

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I would accompany you at all times as the landowner doesnt like people wandering about. Obviously it will depend on Covid restrictions. Contact me nearer the time ?

Understandable and quite right... Yes, I’ll drop you a pm closer to the time and we can arrange it, it’s a top offer and thanks again.

• Thanks 1

This little fella on the steps last night. Only about 6" long. I put a bowl of ferret food under the hutch every night and the food is still going was beginning to think I was feeding a rat. night before was  - 4 wouldn't think they would still be active.

IMG_2827.JPG.edfbb799dcf39d99a7f3c5b32e726973.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Arry said:

This little fella on the steps last night. Only about 6" long. I put a bowl of ferret food under the hutch every night and the food is still going was beginning to think I was feeding a rat. night before was  - 4 wouldn't think they would still be active.

IMG_2827.JPG.edfbb799dcf39d99a7f3c5b32e726973.JPG

Cheers Arry

I seen a couple of dead ones recently, unfortunately.

Cheers, D.

• Sad 1