Fox, Badger, Hares and mammals - please add yours

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's taken me over 40 yrs to see a wild badger with my own eyes, let alone photograph one...

Probably the hardest image i have ever had to work for, after spending countless hours, weeks and months over a period of 5 years or so sitting at different setts and sites i finally got my 1st sightings and images of a wild badger.... This sow became very tolerant of my presence and had the pleasure of watching her and her 4 young cubs over the summer and into the end of autumn...

Might not seem much to some on here and it may have many haters but to me, this is probably the most treasured and intimate wildlife experience i have had to date...

Badger mono.jpg

• Like 13
3 hours ago, zandy01 said:

It's taken me over 40 yrs to see a wild badger with my own eyes, let alone photograph one...

Probably the hardest image i have ever had to work for, after spending countless hours, weeks and months over a period of 5 years or so sitting at different setts and sites i finally got my 1st sightings and images of a wild badger.... This sow became very tolerant of my presence and had the pleasure of watching her and her 4 young cubs over the summer and into the end of autumn...

Might not seem much to some on here and it may have many haters but to me, this is probably the most treasured and intimate wildlife experience i have had to date...

Badger mono.jpg

They are a very unique animal, cracking shot?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Do you ever sell any of your pics pal? 

No mate, if anyone would ever like one I would just email them over a high resolution copy free of charge and let them get printed/mounted/framed...

I haven’t even got any of my photos framed in my house although I’m going to get some done this year as my wife has been asking me to get some done for home...

I’ve had artists use them for reference and request they credit the original photo with my name, I’ve had Natural History Society of Northumbria use my photos in their publications but it’s just a hobby for me...

Plenty excellent wildlife photographers out there with big names who make a really good living and big money, some pay to have their names and photos seen and some are in the clique with the big names and hang off of them and then there are millions of amateur togs with amazing images that don’t even get a like on social media and don’t have their names known but do it for the passion of being out with nature, honest people... ?

363CC775-2923-4B44-9D0F-07A5D4E1287D.jpeg

CB2E2F7E-D079-4645-8646-DA2A6A936ADF.png

2CDCC61C-359C-4319-938C-040060683670.png

• Like 11
19 hours ago, zandy01 said:

No mate, if anyone would ever like one I would just email them over a high resolution copy free of charge and let them get printed/mounted/framed...

I haven’t even got any of my photos framed in my house although I’m going to get some done this year as my wife has been asking me to get some done for home...

I’ve had artists use them for reference and request they credit the original photo with my name, I’ve had Natural History Society of Northumbria use my photos in their publications but it’s just a hobby for me...

Plenty excellent wildlife photographers out there with big names who make a really good living and big money, some pay to have their names and photos seen and some are in the clique with the big names and hang off of them and then there are millions of amateur togs with amazing images that don’t even get a like on social media and don’t have their names known but do it for the passion of being out with nature, honest people... ?

363CC775-2923-4B44-9D0F-07A5D4E1287D.jpeg

CB2E2F7E-D079-4645-8646-DA2A6A936ADF.png

2CDCC61C-359C-4319-938C-040060683670.png

Do you shoot raw and what do you edit them with? 

3 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Do you shoot raw and what do you edit them with? 

Yes Greb, always shoot Raw with minimal editing in Lightroom...  a little noise reduction, highlights and shadows is about all I alter...

9 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

Yes Greb, always shoot Raw with minimal editing in Lightroom...  a little noise reduction, highlights and shadows is about all I alter...

Nice one mate, what camera and lens' did you say you use? 

Thinking of getting the Canon 7D MK 11 with a Sigma 100-400 or the 150-600.

• Like 1
On 05/01/2021 at 18:40, zandy01 said:

Badger mono.jpg

Good stuff mate, did you have any luck locally ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Nice one mate, what camera and lens' did you say you use? 

Thinking of getting the Canon 7D MK 11 with a Sigma 100-400 or the 150-600.

Hi Greb,

I use a 1DX mkii and have a 7D mkii as my backup. 3 lenses I use are all Canon L-series = 24-105mm f4, 100-400mm mkii and a 500mm f4 and I have a 1.4 extender which I sometimes use with the 500mm making it 700mm f5.6

The 7D mkii is a cracking body and combined with equally good lens is a lethal combination.

I owned a Sigma 150-600 for about a month before I sold as produced very soft (not sharp) images, tried the Tamron version and the same...

I would seriously recommend a Canon 100-400 mkii if funds allow, if not then a Canon 400 f5.6 would be my 2nd choice (One of the sharpest lenses on the market and not too expensive) and 3rd choice would be a 300mm f4 which could be paired up at a later date with a 1.4 extended so would be 420mm 5.6

All above lenses are L-series, image quality, build and weather sealing is far superior to any 3rd party lenses...

Too many people get hung up on mega focal length (lens envy/need a bigger lens syndrome), and in all honesty good knowledge of subject and fieldcraft is the way foreword for amazing images, not the size of lens...

I have heard good reviews of the Tamron 100-400 for image quality and sharpness but have no personal experience of it a s only know 1 person who owned/used it, he was very impressed..

If there’s any help or advice i can give then just drop me a pm and I’ll try to help as much as possible and maybe save you some money too.

• Thanks 1