Today I saw a pair of what I'm sure were Kestrels making a right din, when I looked up one had a Swift in it's grip. 

Has anyone seen a Kestrel take a Swift, I don't know if it had caught it in flight but I should imagine it did. 

I wonder if they may have been Hobbies?

Edited by Greb147

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found a clip of one. Stunning, looks hard graft for the falcon.  

Please see attached probably the worst wildlife photographs that you are ever likely to see. They are of a kestrel. The dot in the sky is the subject being photographed. Seen it today on land that I h

Only my opinion, but it could have been a Hobby. Your query took me back over 40 years to the first bird book I ever owned. I’m sure the illustration of a Hobby (no photos back then ?) showed it

Posted Images

Just now, ringo said:

could it have been a Hobby.

That's what I'm thinking, they were hard to make out with the sun and were quite a height. I'd say Kestrel is the likely bet tbh. 

Only my opinion, but it could have been a Hobby.

Your query took me back over 40 years to the first bird book I ever owned. I’m sure the illustration of a Hobby (no photos back then ?) showed it chasing a Swift. Don’t have the book now, but it was this one. 

618ACB56-DF69-48B1-8B31-500332293828.jpeg

• Like 3

Kestrel won’t catch/take a swift mate.  You sure it was a swift ?.....have seen Hobby taking house Martin and swallows so think your culprit will be a Hobby.  About the right time for them as they’ve just returned on migration.

• Like 2