I had to read this twice!!!

1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Had a conversation with a lad last night about how investiture Into a dog can only lead to people seeing some cash at the end of the tunnel . 

If you buy a top end coursing type , spend a lot of strong money on feed , fuel and fines, the majority of lads aren’t going to be putting pups out to strangers for a bag of James wellbeloved. 

It’s rare and refreshing to find lads that do , but by and large you should be offering to pay . 

If your in a circle of lads though etc and your getting something further down the line that’s a better way to do things I think . 

Agreed. A circle of friends giving pups out amongst themselves is a bit different than just giving excess pups to ransoms for free because “you shouldn’t charge for a Lurcher pup”.

I gave away an 18 month collie bitch yesterday, to a lad who does some work for me, and I’m sure a few favours will come back.

Last Lurcher pup was gifted free from a mate, and I make sure I put as much hunting in front of him and his dogs whenever he visits.

Just picked up a busher pup off a mate, he wanted nothing for it. Gave his Mrs £100 quid and dagged out some sheep for her. The pup was incredibly well reared, jabbed and had been kept till 10 weeks for me. 

Nowt wrong with giving pups out, but expecting it doesn’t sit right with me. 

• Like 3

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it's the age old thing it's your money it's your choice. many moons ago beddywhippet pups were fetching around £45.g. Kelly at Brownhills regularly advertised in the shooting news at £100.me and a mat

And I bet the only thought in their head when breeding the litter was £££££. If anybody even contemplates paying that for them then they need a clip round the ear hole. 

No difference at all, if a person breeds pet dogs and does it right there’s absolutely no problem. If the bitches get looked after & don’t get the arse bred off them. Bitches get a good life, pups

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Wow.... Missing a trick here... Time to line my Russell bitch to my Russell dog, line my black bitch and f**k it.... I get a litter out of the old retired chocolate bitch for good measure??? Can pay for my new electric bike and a new pair of wellies? 3 dogs x 5 pups each x £400 per pup=£6000... Thank you very much ?

Thing is mate , you could do that and the only thing that stops that is integrity   

Just now, SheepChaser said:

Agreed. A circle of friends giving pups out amongst themselves is a bit different than just giving excess pups to ransoms for free because “you shouldn’t charge for a Lurcher pup”.

I gave away an 18 month collie bitch yesterday, to a lad who does some work for me, and I’m sure a few favours will come back.

Last Lurcher pup was gifted free from a mate, and I make sure I put as much hunting in front of him and his dogs whenever he visits.

Just picked up a busher pup off a mate, he wanted nothing for it. Gave his Mrs £100 quid and dagged out some sheep for her. The pup was incredibly well reared, jabbed and had been kept till 10 weeks for me. 

Nowt wrong with giving pups out, but expecting it doesn’t sit right with me. 

Well put mate ! 

Ive has pups for very little and if I had a litter I’d rather stick them in the bin than ask for serious money . Id get more satisfaction giving them around a circle than asking lads for hard earned , especially lads I knew would tests them. 

I know a few terrier lads who put pups amongst themselves yearly and wouldn’t ask each other for a few quid here or there. They reap the rewards by keeping their blood tight and tested so they aren’t working with unknown quantities. 

Priceless that 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Had a conversation with a lad last night about how investiture Into a dog can only lead to people seeing some cash at the end of the tunnel . 

If you buy a top end coursing type , spend a lot of strong money on feed , fuel and fines, the majority of lads aren’t going to be putting pups out to strangers for a bag of James wellbeloved. 

It’s rare and refreshing to find lads that do , but by and large you should be offering to pay . 

If your in a circle of lads though etc and your getting something further down the line that’s a better way to do things I think . 

Think that’s where it comes down to different types of lads owning them. If I’m gifted a pup I’ll always Chuck the lad something to take his mrs for a night out, or something like that.

But if you buy a top end coursing type, travel all over to run it, pick fines up etc, you should be doing that purely for the love of it, and you should only really breed from it because you want a pup out of a dog you think highly of. You shouldn’t be breeding it thinking right ive put X amount in to this dog so I want X amount back for the pups. If you’ve got a dog you think a lot of and a litter of pups you’ve put your heart and soul in to the only thing on your mind should be finding top homes, not recouping some of the money you’ve spent doing the sport you love.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Think that’s where it comes down to different types of lads owning them. If I’m gifted a pup I’ll always Chuck the lad something to take his mrs for a night out, or something like that.

But if you buy a top end coursing type, travel all over to run it, pick fines up etc, you should be doing that purely for the love of it, and you should only really breed from it because you want a pup out of a dog you think highly of. You shouldn’t be breeding it thinking right ive put X amount in to this dog so I want X amount back for the pups. If you’ve got a dog you think a lot of and a litter of pups you’ve put your heart and soul in to the only thing on your mind should be finding top homes, not recouping some of the money you’ve spent doing the sport you love.

I think your being very kind to some aspects of the lurcher game there mate. 

I would say there is an entire type of lad who will pay 200 quid for a bull cross one month then hammer it to bring it on and put it up for 400 quid. 

For some lads , lurchers are like motors 

2 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Thing is mate , you could do that and the only thing that stops that is integrity   

Got 4 bitches here,3 terriers and a runner,they have all come in or will be..... Never entered my head.....its a ballache having an entire male here... But I would sooner put up with the winning and leg cocking than have pups on the ground and find them decent homes.... My Jill's are dropping soon, hard enough giving them away too folks who will do right by them?

1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I think your being very kind to some aspects of the lurcher game there mate. 

I would say there is an entire type of lad who will pay 200 quid for a bull cross one month then hammer it to bring it on and put it up for 400 quid. 

For some lads , lurchers are like motors 

Unfortunately that's very true?

2 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

No difference at all, if a person breeds pet dogs and does it right there’s absolutely no problem. If the bitches get looked after & don’t get the arse bred off them. Bitches get a good life, pups get well reared, nice families get a nice puppy, and the breeder makes a few quid out of it that the government don’t get their greedy claws in to in the form of taxes. Everyone wins. 

The problems start when people cross over & try to make money out of working dogs, this usually involves telling lies about the parents working ability. People buy them and get stung with shit stock, idiots lie again and breed again. The cycle continues until the working gene pool is full of shit. 

You’re not ruining anything by breeding cockapoos, they’re just pets, but if you breed lurchers, terriers etc out of shit stock then you are ruining something 

Spot on pal

10 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

How many free pups get sold on? Or does it not happen because it was free, so they must be a proper Lurcher man. 

The old,lost it in a kennel fight.... Too then See it walking around a show few seasons later... ?

Gifting pups comes with its fair share of finding out folks true colours.... Plenty have been bit there too.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, fred90 said:

it's the age old thing it's your money it's your choice. many moons ago beddywhippet pups were fetching around £45.g. Kelly at Brownhills regularly advertised in the shooting news at £100.me and a mate went he had a fawn 1 I had a blue bitch. lot of lads said we were soft in the head. well happy with them had mine 16 years. in the words of that great English philosopher (Adam ant) ridicule is nothing to be scared of. 

I blame green grass off heart beat he fecked it all up the scoundrel 

For me it's 1 them things where I've gifted dogs to people in the past and I've sold dogs but 1 thing I'l say I've never sold them for silly money and 9 times out of ten I'm happy with where there going let's be honest we've all purchased dogs in the past off certain types of characters hopefully if things go right I'l never have to buy anything in ever again just breed off whst I've got round me when need but life's snakes and ladders so we never know as they say the merle lurcher unfortunately has fell into the price trap and it is what it is I'l just stick to what I've got and be happy with it ?

• Like 1

Something's got to give eventually, surely at these extortionate prices of mixed breeds going for 2000 only the rich are buying them or its peddlers selling the puppies to peddlers so they can peddle future generations, I dare not image how often some of the bitches are getting bred and I reckon it's got potential to price out the lurcher community. 

I'm not in any lurcher circles except this group and hope I don't get priced out of future purchases.

The government and antis are potentially not the worry but people's wallets.

Edited by NE_Monkey
  • Like 2

I would never charge for a pup to lads in my hunting circle but I would not give a pup to someone I don't know for nothing a litter of pups cost a lot to rear properly, has I only breed for replacements no expense is spared in rearing the litter.

• Like 2

I'm looking for a pup at the moment, typically a small lurcher dog, preferably rough coated. Something like a beddy whippet but I have found it almost impossible to find any litters nearby. This would be for primarily used as a companion whilst out ferreting but would also be taken for general bushing whilst out shooting or fishing. Hopefully it would also be useful to take out on our local shoot when beating. I've joined a couple of forums on FB as well as scanning all the likely advertising websites but still no joy. Where do most people do their searching? any leads to litters coming along soon based in the southwest would be very welcome. Regards Chris.

An the tight twats got them bedded down on normal news paper ??not shredded paper so it's nice an soft for pups.? In this day an age unless your breeding for own use and keeping pups back as your older dog or bitch is going to hang up the slip from old age or injury. Then there's no need to breed in my eyes

• Like 1