Deerhound greyhound collie greyhound

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not many people mention this about deerhound in a cross but it adds a long back to a collie cross and this gives it a better stride for covering rough ground (like rocky, heathery places). It als

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Deerhound adds deerhound blood ?

Got to be honest, I like a bit of deerhound in a lurcher. And would rather that than saluki blood.

Kin el,  I'd better scarper!! ?

• Like 5
13 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

What does the deerhound add? 

You watch something jump up on the far horizon that as a tendency to escape far to often,add a bit of decent Deerhoundy and watch that far horizon shrink.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I do like them but I'd just be worried I'd end up with the pup that turned out like a hairy giraffe 

I've seen some right funny looking deerhound saluki/greyhound ones and some very nice ones from the same breeding too.?

Deerhound/collie/grey do seem to blend well though and people have been breeding them for a long time now.

• Like 1

From my experience they are a great all round lurcher, the black dog and fawn bitch in the pics were good dogs they could be lamped with on a night and used for ferreting by day. Good bags were taken lamping the strike on the pair of them great too. Unfortunately the bitch broke her neck. The big fawn dog was something else though, he loved teeth and made very light work of old Charlie 

Them 3 dogs in the pics are all from the same blood, the line went back years. I just couldn't find the right bitch to put that big fawn dog over.

Edited by jossa
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Bet they knocked a few roe too. I used to live in your area back in the early 80's and the whole area seemed to be hopping with them back then.

All very capable of taking Roe, same again though the big dog could handle the bigger deer too

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Bet they knocked a few roe too. I used to live in your area back in the early 80's and the whole area seemed to be hopping with them back then.

6 hours ago, jossa said:

All very capable of taking Roe, same again though the big dog could handle the bigger deer too

An old mate of mine bred a litter of 1st crosses in the mid 80's. Kept a dog and bitch. I've written on here about him, a good few years ago now, the dog was and still is the best/quickest fox killing dog I've seen. All over in a matter of a few seconds. Good deer dog too. Three of the bitches in the litter also made great lamping dogs that took everything

• Like 3
On 08/05/2020 at 06:31, whitefeet4190 said:

What does the deerhound add? 

8 minutes ago, shaaark said:

An old mate of mine bred a litter of 1st crosses in the mid 80's. Kept a dog and bitch. I've written on here about him, a good few years ago now, the dog was and still is the best/quickest fox killing dog I've seen. All over in a matter of a few seconds. Good deer dog too. Three of the bitches in the litter also made great lamping dogs that took everything

My uncle has kept them for probably 30 years, but he doesnt bother with the lurchers to much now. I think he only has a old dog left. If I could find a litter bred off the right dogs i would have another in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jossa said:

From my experience they are a great all round lurcher, the black dog and fawn bitch in the pics were good dogs they could be lamped with on a night and used for ferreting by day. Good bags were taken lamping the strike on the pair of them great too. Unfortunately the bitch broke her neck. The big fawn dog was something else though, he loved teeth and made very light work of old Charlie 

Them 3 dogs in the pics are all from the same blood, the line went back years. I just couldn't find the right bitch to put that big fawn dog over.

I bred a litter about 5 years ago,i wanted to breed out of the dog early because the chance of finding another bred the same way was minimal to non existent.If a dog ever deserved its chance the Deerhoundy/Collie hybrid was a proven mutt,sadly it seems to have lost favour,its hunting prowess can never be questioned,the folk capable of utilising such a canine now are very thin on the ground.It saddens me when honest bred dogs are overlooked because folk now,on the whole,are happier with a lesser turd,on the whole?

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, morton said:

I bred a litter about 5 years ago,i wanted to breed out of the dog early because the chance of finding another bred the same way was minimal to non existent.If a dog ever deserved its chance the Deerhoundy/Collie hybrid was a proven mutt,sadly it seems to have lost favour,its hunting prowess can never be questioned,the folk capable of utilising such a canine now are very thin on the ground.It saddens me when honest bred dogs are overlooked because folk now,on the whole,are happier with a lesser turd,on the whole?

Toad in the hole 

Can anyone with this cross put some pics up please, I ha e a collie grey now and he's not a bad shape at 10 month old but can't help thinkin he looks like u could do with a bit more leg, just interested to see what a splash of deerhound could add