Montjac male mystery anatomy identification.

Hello, I have a request for anyone who knows about montjac or deer/mammals in general. I've found something I can't identify in a young male montjac, my best guess is diaphragm? I suspect not though, can anyone tell me what it is? 

Dimensions are 6" x 8" roughly. 

Many thanks! 

Kym

20200506_130644.jpg

It's caul. Not knowing how old or young you are, you may not have seen it used. Bit ago, not showing my age, this was used when making faggots. Indeed, as I write this, there is a bagful in my freezer waiting for the cold weather. Jok.

• Like 1
On 07/05/2020 at 21:31, misattuned said:

I'm intrigued. Thank you so much Jok. I remember my niece's placenta looked like this. So it's female? My mistake. 

Males and females have caul , it’s a sort of stomach membrane , the butchers near me cover faggots in it . Not much gets wasted . 

7 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Males and females have caul , it’s a sort of stomach membrane , the butchers near me cover faggots in it . Not much gets wasted . 

Ah, now I'm catching up. Are faggots a Scottish food I wonder? I've ineptly butchered the montjac, it was roadkill. Do you know what the purple/blue/green hued organ is? Flat and full of dark blood. I've used mostly everything I can from the corpse. Anything you'd recommend I do with the brain? 

I always thought faggots were a West Country thing , Might be wrong . 
           I would guess the organ you describe is the liver . And as for the brain , personally it would be more effort than it’s worth to remove it , but it would be edible .

And I “don’t “ want to know what you were doing with your nieces placenta.?

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...