• 3 months later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The more you head towards the bully type the further away you get from the worker.

Its the terrier game full stop Chesney, all bs,lies and jealousy 

Posted Images

23 hours ago, sid g said:

used to be a name that got thrown about as  a cross  you`d often see a few for sale wheeler / nuttal .wheeler / gould  back in the days of the free ad papers  truth be known  same as anything back in the day you never knew  100% what you was buying  .. 

I think a few lads based a description on what it was expected to look like .Bully types were generally labelled Wheeler whilst anything else black was Nuttal .

• Like 1
13 hours ago, foxdropper said:

I think a few lads based a description on what it was expected to look like .Bully types were generally labelled Wheeler whilst anything else black was Nuttal .

The more you head towards the bully type the further away you get from the worker.

• Like 10

Used two separate quarter bred outcrosses mate so pretty diluted when I worked them .Theres a lad I know used to keep pat/bulls in varying degrees of dilution and he worked them all .Got to see them first hand and have to say you wouldn’t turn one down .If we are to believe the old books ,pics and gossip ,all the black types  had bull infusion so no getting away from it really .
I was never interested in the first cross but a bit of bull never did any harm that’s for sure .

Everybody has a take on it but unless you’ve worked them words mean nothing .My old bitch I have here is 1/16  going back to a 1/4 bull/pat x a Stevens bitch I bred ,few gens back .I like the look of a strong type but would never use one if I thought it reduced work in any way .The reason for the outcross for me was to maintain size and structure on an already decent type .

Some have used the cross to try rescue a type from kennel blindness ,I know a few that have  where really they were a couple gens too late from using a decent Pat .

The bull thing is just a personal choice I’d say as long as the bull isn’t gassy  and has been tested in some way .

What seems to be your hang up on the cross mate .....size or aggression or something else .

I understand what your saying, my point was if you start heading towards a more bully type (looks, head size chest etc) your steering away from a typical working terrier and your taking on more than the bully looks. A good working terrier in my opinion will have as much drive, determination stamina and above all hunting instinct than any bull so why go down that route. I’ve worked and bred plenty of terriers with a % of bull in them over the years and by no means has it improved any workers.

• Like 5
On 23/08/2020 at 11:01, foxdropper said:

Unless sourced from the man himself but even that went pear shape with a few .

When you say sourced from the man himself, lol you were guaranteed a good story to sell pups.. From stuff that looked the part but was actually Chinese sweat shop material...

You should never mix leather and rubber. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Apache... said:

I understand what your saying, my point was if you start heading towards a more bully type (looks, head size chest etc) your steering away from a typical working terrier and your taking on more than the bully looks. A good working terrier in my opinion will have as much drive, determination stamina and above all hunting instinct than any bull so why go down that route. I’ve worked and bred plenty of terriers with a % of bull in them over the years and by no means has it improved any workers.

So why did you add it mate if it wasn’t needed in any way .

7 hours ago, stop.end said:

When you say sourced from the man himself, lol you were guaranteed a good story to sell pups.. From stuff that looked the part but was actually Chinese sweat shop material...

You should never mix leather and rubber. 

I was talking breeders in general mate .I got  mine from Derrick pretty early on in his breeding so like to think it was his stuff .Heard stories since though that weren’t what you’d like to hear but only stories mind .
Seems to be the way to go to slag anyone that has anything of worth rather than take it for what it is .Nuttal being the exception .

• Like 1

I’m not knocking anyone who uses bull influencers terriers fd I’m talking from experience, I bred some and was given pups over the years but recently within the last 20yr I wouldn’t add it to the blood I have. If the right terriers are bred from you do not need any bull in any shape or form. ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, sid g said:

did he not sell litters on from  his own stuff that was out on loan deals  ... internets done the terrier job no favours regards slagging people off and running breeds down and on the other hand bulling terriers up if you look at of of the shit the yanks put up for example , 

Out of like per norm Sid but you are spot on with internet slagging .Im no angel slagging off Nuttal but saw what went  on with my own eyes and very blatant might add .I was there one day when he had a young dog that was returned  for whatever reason in a kennel near where I was looking in with a bitch  and Brian commented he had a lad coming for it that day .We were still there shooting the shit when lad arrives and was told dog was untried and that Brian was going to keep it back for himself but no kennel space .Couldn’t wait to shut the kennel behind it lol.

Never did find out why it was a return but dog looked old enough to have had a look .

Could go on but all history now .Plenty of lads heard the stories but still had stuff off him .Demand at one time was so high he bought in any black terrier to meet sales and started any sales pitch with “goes way back too .....“.lol.

Would of liked  to have known him when he started the early stuff as I’m sure he was a genuine guy back then .He knew they bloke I had my early stuff off which was good enough for me .

• Like 1