Hesitation

I have a collie x whip x grey I've had about a year she's doing OK apart from two problems. one problem leads off the other. The main issue is when I slip her on a rabbit if the rabbit is not running she will freeze staring at it with one paw raised then when the rabit eventually takes a run for it. it's got the advantage and hits tthe hedge by the time she's snaped out of it What brings me on to the next issue. the rabbit hits the hedge she's running  behind it starts hunting up around the hedge what scares off anything in the next feild I can get her back normaly on the first or second call just a bit frustrating. I don't have the problems if the rabbit is running she's Been ferreting once with a friend and she caught all butlers take her out bushing with my bedlington again she will catch anything that runs and she's did OK lamping as long as the rabbit wasn't squating.  everytime she's caught something she's brought it back to me so I no she can do job. it's probably something I'm doing wrong as the two I have now are my first dogs I've worked so any advice would be bang on cheers lads [allso I have tryed lamping her with no lead to see if she would run on squatters as soon as I lit them up but she wouldn't do it] 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dont slip till it runs. if its squatting keep her on slip and walk on it till it bolts then slip

I couldn’t keep a dog that picks and chooses its runs no way, or pisses about at cover. Any cross of lurcher when they pull up it’s lack of heart but when a collie cross does it then it’s too clever ?

100% whether someone walks round back of there house or does a couple hundred miles to test there dogs i think aslong as you honest and dont breed f**k out of a load of dogs fair play to ya. I get mor

Absolutely agree with Hullman and Balaur,

She may still stalk in daylight but expect her to "get" lamping if you use the lead to walkup squatters, I have an 18 month Collie Greyhound with same traits as yours, great ferreting but needed a very disciplined approach to lamping. BTW he still stalks in daylight 

Some dog will not take anything not moving simple as that no matter how you lamp or what. Place a ball infront of a ball mad dog so its still they might pick it up and chew it abit but what they like is for you to throw it the chase and a kill. Prey is usually sommat running away lads not standing still.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1

alot of it  down to ( not) catching  , they  wait till it moves then strike, as there scared the rabbit it will get away , thats why they do it simple as that mate. Ok any type lurcher can pick this trate up  , but feckin colliexs  its in there genes  even at a 1/4  deff.  alot on here  know of my 1x collie x grey bryn  who near  13 , now he never stalked a rabbit in all his working like, and i caught tons of rabbits with him day/night  , but  i put him on the easiest  rabbits i could at 1st, even feckin walking down the beam and dropping him on then so he knew in mind every rabbit he could catch. then by 9 months old, yeh that age he just take them right out the beam, squatters  brill as well bring back every rabbit, as said in mind he catch them. the only thing he did do was say after 25 - 30 rabbits in the lamp he  call it a day,  ok might have only got say 10 more, but it was this collie thing calling the shots that i hate in any type dog, so said on here loads of times if got collie in try to water it down to a 1/4 no more needed , well that my my take on it with 30 odd years feckin about with running dogs .!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, C.green said:

Very honest of ya ray. I think alot of these heavy dogs would say no thank you after abit of stick but alot never give them enough to know.

true that, ive pushed Buck  few times , ok he not really bred for rabbits, but had 38  up the dales, and 15-20s on hard type places, and dog his size doing that no mean feat , but he  been pushed  quite hard on other  big stuff as well  lamping  , so been tested fair bit deff .

14 hours ago, Jay w said:

I have a collie x whip x grey I've had about a year she's doing OK apart from two problems. one problem leads off the other. The main issue is when I slip her on a rabbit if the rabbit is not running she will freeze staring at it with one paw raised then when the rabit eventually takes a run for it. it's got the advantage and hits tthe hedge by the time she's snaped out of it What brings me on to the next issue. the rabbit hits the hedge she's running  behind it starts hunting up around the hedge what scares off anything in the next feild I can get her back normaly on the first or second call just a bit frustrating. I don't have the problems if the rabbit is running she's Been ferreting once with a friend and she caught all butlers take her out bushing with my bedlington again she will catch anything that runs and she's did OK lamping as long as the rabbit wasn't squating.  everytime she's caught something she's brought it back to me so I no she can do job. it's probably something I'm doing wrong as the two I have now are my first dogs I've worked so any advice would be bang on cheers lads [allso I have tryed lamping her with no lead to see if she would run on squatters as soon as I lit them up but she wouldn't do it] 

Strong collie characteristics come through with that dog mate. That’s the way the dog may be for life now, I had a 1/4 collie dog do the same thing,  partly my doing and just a combination of collie characteristics coming through. I found whilst out lamping if he started to stalk and I stamped my feet quick on the spot  he would start to trot down the beam some more. 

Funny old lad that dog was but by feck he put some stuff to bed.  

• Like 1

It’s not just collie Xs that will stalk mate but in my experience they are the most likely and easiest to get to stalk. I’ve seen plenty other breeds do it but they have been heavily worked.

• Like 1

You might be better off waiting till next season now mate till there a few more green rabbits about that way you can drop right on top of them before slipping gaining good lamping confidence in your young dog no point in long slipping at this time of year the season’s done the rabbits are the survivors of the winter slog they know exactly what the crack is an they know exactly we’re there heading I alway start dogs on squatters to try give them the best chance of a catch I’ll not slip young dogs on rabbits sat down hedge lines if there not sat out in the field an I can’t get between were there heading I’ll not slip it’s pointless I think that’s we’re problems come from collies x are terrible for stalking the collie experts will say there not but it’s a fact that there are just like pure collies that’s what they do I used to run a collie x she was about 1/16 collie the rest greyhound whippet with a drop of deerhound even with that small amount of collie base blood it shined through still I didn’t get none of this stalking stuff but I did get collie sensitivity come through like if the dog was corrected or if a tone of voice was not a soppy proud command you could tell the dog had the hump Tbh she was a very good bitch for me she was a proper trooper I had some really good days/nights with that bitch I switched back to bedlington xs after her my bedlington xs were bred from that collie x bitch originally but even bedlington xs have vices I’ve heard there nitrous yappers on the lamp I’ve not experienced that yet but I guess it’s how I enter dogs I don’t rush I don’t compete against other lads with what there doing I’m steady i enter slow an gradually my favourite way of building confidence in young dogs as always been ferreting rabbits to nets for young uns to pin to get confidence going Then dropping on top of rabbits on the lamp I won’t never bolt rabbits to  inexperience young uns or long slip to in experience dogs an never been a dropper rabbit man 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, poxon said:

You might be better off waiting till next season now mate till there a few more green rabbits about that way you can drop right on top of them before slipping gaining good lamping confidence in your young dog no point in long slipping at this time of year the season’s done the rabbits are the survivors of the winter slog they know exactly what the crack is an they know exactly we’re there heading I alway start dogs on squatters to try give them the best chance of a catch I’ll not slip young dogs on rabbits sat down hedge lines if there not sat out in the field an I can’t get between were there heading I’ll not slip it’s pointless I think that’s we’re problems come from collies x are terrible for stalking the collie experts will say there not but it’s a fact that there are just like pure collies that’s what they do I used to run a collie x she was about 1/16 collie the rest greyhound whippet with a drop of deerhound even with that small amount of collie base blood it shined through still I didn’t get none of this stalking stuff but I did get collie sensitivity come through like if the dog was corrected or if a tone of voice was not a soppy proud command you could tell the dog had the hump Tbh she was a very good bitch for me she was a proper trooper I had some really good days/nights with that bitch I switched back to bedlington xs after her my bedlington xs were bred from that collie x bitch originally but even bedlington xs have vices I’ve heard there nitrous yappers on the lamp I’ve not experienced that yet but I guess it’s how I enter dogs I don’t rush I don’t compete against other lads with what there doing I’m steady i enter slow an gradually my favourite way of building confidence in young dogs as always been ferreting rabbits to nets for young uns to pin to get confidence going Then dropping on top of rabbits on the lamp I won’t never bolt rabbits to  inexperience young uns or long slip to in experience dogs an never been a dropper rabbit man 

Agree with a fair bit of that mate. But it might not be anything to do with collie blood in the fella's bitch. Seen all sorts of crosses and purebreds stalking, hesitating etc etc, and two of the moodiest, most sensitive dogs I've seen were a deer/grey 1st x bitch, and a 1st x beddy x whippet/grey dog ?

• Like 1

We’ve all got different opinions but I wouldn’t have collie blood near my dogs for that reason, they’re prone to scatty traits like picking their runs & easing off cover. Owners say it’s because they’re clever but it’s not for me.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Agree with a fair bit of that mate. But it might not be anything to do with collie blood in the fella's bitch. Seen all sorts of crosses and purebreds stalking, hesitating etc etc, and two of the moodiest, most sensitive dogs I've seen were a deer/grey 1st x bitch, and a 1st x beddy x whippet/grey dog ?

Your probably right mate it might not be the collie blood it might be how it’s been bought on I’ve just given my 2pence worth in what I’ve had or seen An blokes I know that were collie x men they’ll all say the same thing you’ve got to have that sturdy head on your shoulders because there rack your brains at times but same could be said about most crosses tbh

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

We’ve all got different opinions but I wouldn’t have collie blood near my dogs for that reason, they’re prone to scatty traits like picking their runs & easing off cover. Owners say it’s because they’re clever but it’s not for me.

I’m of the same opinion I’d no longer add any collie blood back in to my dogs it’d take away rather than add any traits that are useful to me or I need now 

6 hours ago, bird said:

true that, ive pushed Buck  few times , ok he not really bred for rabbits, but had 38  up the dales, and 15-20s on hard type places, and dog his size doing that no mean feat , but he  been pushed  quite hard on other  big stuff as well  lamping  , so been tested fair bit deff .

Would you of slipped him on red stag pre ban ray?