Dog been a c**t

Mine was an utter twat for putting things up then hunting on. Eg put up a pheasant, chase the flying bird over a field or two then feck off into the distance looking for other things. GPS was the first step so I could find her (sometimes would take an hour to get close enough to call her in :rolleyes: and I've seen 2000 metres on the gps a few times) I eventually worked out that being more involved what the dog is doing when out is the  answer. Beating cover for the dog really gets it to listen, focus and look to you for finding game, it's an ideal time of year to do that early morning in long grass. Even just doing occasional a few pointless recalls and letting it go straight out again seems to help, or quick retrieve if it likes doing that. Playing with a tug also really fired mine up and got her to focus. Unexpectedly hiding from the dog in familiar areas when it expects you to always just be there is another one that gets it looking to you. It's hard to explain, but you are aiming to get the dog to feel that all is well and at peace when you are there and worried and unsure when you are absent, obviously with the exception that it needs to feel safe and relaxed when in the kennel or van. Mine still tends to work her ground further out than I would like but she comes back looking for me from a run as soon as unsighted now. There's several motorways and busy roads dogs can get onto round here so I have to keep things under closer control than if I had access to more remote land.

Edited by Caravan Monster

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing to do with his breed, boredom, lack of exercise etc. He’s just a young male dog they all go through that, some less than others but they all have their funny stage. I’ve got a young dog 13 mon

Who ever is at the house needs to flog him so he fcuks off back to the golf course. ???

Don't let him ruin another outing or you can lose patience, take the buggar back to basics, back on his lead, recall training on long lead with treats etc, don't matter if he loses fitness it's summer

Posted Images

Had him out again today for few hours and not a put a foot wrong again. Coming straight back soon as I call or whistle it’s just them two occasions with around 10-12 day gap but nothing in between them occasions so I’ll just keep getting him out and see what happens. We go somewhere else now, keeps him more active and deffo burns a bit more energy off. Think he may just have been trying it on as I’ve had no issues with him since a pup. He doesn’t retrieve rabbits but will retrieve anything if I’m playing in garden or out and about he just stands over them once caught and killed but that’s what he has be learnt to mainly do. there’s not really enough rabbits to go at to keep working hard at it but it’s not something that bothers me I can live with it as hel probably only catch 10 a season anywayAtb Igz

2 hours ago, Igz said:

Had him out again today for few hours and not a put a foot wrong again. Coming straight back soon as I call or whistle it’s just them two occasions with around 10-12 day gap but nothing in between them occasions so I’ll just keep getting him out and see what happens. We go somewhere else now, keeps him more active and deffo burns a bit more energy off. Think he may just have been trying it on as I’ve had no issues with him since a pup. He doesn’t retrieve rabbits but will retrieve anything if I’m playing in garden or out and about he just stands over them once caught and killed but that’s what he has be learnt to mainly do. there’s not really enough rabbits to go at to keep working hard at it but it’s not something that bothers me I can live with it as hel probably only catch 10 a season anywayAtb Igz

Told yah he'd be alrite mate I've got rid of dogs in the past a regreted it mate he's don't a fair bit for his age be good to see him doing it again this coming season ?

??. Sounded like my head had fell off when I spoke to you on phone ?. I thought I’d done a good job with him and I wasn’t ready to see him fail. It had been a long day for me. Wouldn’t give up on him easily although I could have that night at the time. We’ve seen him graft so be a shame if he spoiled himself on stupid things ?

• Like 1
On 09/05/2020 at 14:55, SheepChaser said:

Fail ?

Rehome?

Dogs having an ignorant moment. It’s a young dog in summer after first season.

If folk get rid of dogs for stuff like this ...... huh? 

Just been ignorant mate we’ve been out every day since and not a problem. Been back to golf course twice in that time and no problems. Last thing I would want to do was get rid of this dog as he’s done me proud since having him and if you look at any other comments I’ve wrote of him in the past has all been positive. I was always going to keep trying with him I was just asking what others thought as for him to just do that out the blue is obviously not normal. But I also couldn’t work a dog if he was going to keep running off whenever he feels like it. I think he just wants to hunt, last season yes he was only young but still out 4-5 nights a week lamping for few hours a time whether it was getting involved or just watching and learning so I suppose from going to that then only maybe doing an hour and a half local walk it was a shock to the system he has bundles of energy but with 3 kids and this lockdown stuff I’ve been having to split my time and not get out as long as normal. I don’t have no permission so if I was to have a dog that was to  keep f***ing off all the time at nothing it could cause me a lot of headache. All seems well at moment anyway so we shall see and I hope nothing changes and he’s hard at it come October as septembers been a bit of a wash out last couple seasons with the heatAtb Igz

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Igz said:

Just been ignorant mate we’ve been out every day since and not a problem. Been back to golf course twice in that time and no problems. Last thing I would want to do was get rid of this dog as he’s done me proud since having him and if you look at any other comments I’ve wrote of him in the past has all been positive. I was always going to keep trying with him I was just asking what others thought as for him to just do that out the blue is obviously not normal. But I also couldn’t work a dog if he was going to keep running off whenever he feels like it. I think he just wants to hunt, last season yes he was only young but still out 4-5 nights a week lamping for few hours a time whether it was getting involved or just watching and learning so I suppose from going to that then only maybe doing an hour and a half local walk it was a shock to the system he has bundles of energy but with 3 kids and this lockdown stuff I’ve been having to split my time and not get out as long as normal. I don’t have no permission so if I was to have a dog that was to  keep f***ing off all the time at nothing it could cause me a lot of headache. All seems well at moment anyway so we shall see and I hope nothing changes and he’s hard at it come October as septembers been a bit of a wash out last couple seasons with the heatAtb Igz

100% agree if you’re not lucky enough to have permission to run your dogs then you can’t have something that fucks off when it feels like it. 

• Like 1

Had it once when I was a lad about 13 me dog I loved him he come everywhere with me I got took on some land lamping with older men slipped on a deer he’d gone out a sight but he’d get them out the lamp regular  but about 30 seconds later the snow comes down bad couldn’t see ten foot infront so im shouting walking for hours the men are following me can see I’m sick so we looks about for a few hour it’s still coming down they saying let’s see it’s gone back to the motor but I’m thinking they just want to get off Leave me dog lol so I’m arguing with them for next 40 mins we get back to motor lamp up dogs underneath covered in claret I think they was more relieved than me I think looking back  they’d a had to leave me cos I wasn’t getting back in the motor without  that dog lol

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

Had it once when I was a lad about 13 me dog I loved him he come everywhere with me I got took on some land lamping with older men slipped on a deer he’d gone out a sight but he’d get them out the lamp regular  but about 30 seconds later the snow comes down bad couldn’t see ten foot infront so im shouting walking for hours the men are following me can see I’m sick so we looks about for a few hour it’s still coming down they saying let’s see it’s gone back to the motor but I’m thinking they just want to get off Leave me dog lol so I’m arguing with them for next 40 mins we get back to motor lamp up dogs underneath covered in claret I think they was more relieved than me I think looking back  they’d a had to leave me cos I wasn’t getting back in the motor without  that dog lol

I've had that before mate dog will always head back to where it's started from well 9 times out of 10 they should my gsd x bitch loves to mooch off it's just on her nature she's like a hound at 1st I hated it but to be honest I've gotten used to it now and she given me some good days out hunting like this to be honest ?

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Penda said:

I've had that before mate dog will always head back to where it's started from well 9 times out of 10 they should my gsd x bitch loves to mooch off it's just on her nature she's like a hound at 1st I hated it but to be honest I've gotten used to it now and she given me some good days out hunting like this to be honest ?

spot on mate, had the same with Buck , he seen some quarry , and went after them , had bryn, and mates dog as well, bryn came back about 8 -10 mins , other dog about 12-15 mins , fookin  Buck  1 hour later , he was prat if seen any quarry , in the lamp bit better , but still try to catch what was in front of him , but you dead right , you just got to stay where you are and call or whistle him back in , as he got bit older he got bit better, it must be the gsd thing in them , as they got great nose , and prey drive , put that to running dog, you got a full on type dog , that 1 hour with felt like the longest  1 hour in my life  lol 

4 hours ago, bird said:

spot on mate, had the same with Buck , he seen some quarry , and went after them , had bryn, and mates dog as well, bryn came back about 8 -10 mins , other dog about 12-15 mins , fookin  Buck  1 hour later , he was prat if seen any quarry , in the lamp bit better , but still try to catch what was in front of him , but you dead right , you just got to stay where you are and call or whistle him back in , as he got bit older he got bit better, it must be the gsd thing in them , as they got great nose , and prey drive , put that to running dog, you got a full on type dog , that 1 hour with felt like the longest  1 hour in my life  lol 

Yeah I give my bitch a whistle she works her way back any way it's the nose on them I've never had a lurcher that can find like she can she's like a hound