Honey Bees

How about this one, a domestic/small country estate I am very familiar with and have done all sorts of work for has Honey bees in the chimney, they have been there donkeys years and the chimney has been thoroughly blocked for many years as well.

The owners asked me to deal with it more years ago than I can remember but I declined and put them in touch the British Beekeepers Association.   Nothing happened until now.   I returned to the property for other work yesterday and found scaffolding all over the roof and chimney and upon enquiring if it was for the Bees I was told yes. 

Looks like that's costing a bit says me...Yes....£6000.00 F*** me, I nearly fell over.

Edited by Deker

I didn't ask, see what more I can find out if/when I'm there next.

I notice you list as Oxfordshire, the property is in the country near Oxford, are Bee Gone based in the area?

Edited by Deker

Hi Deker

No they are based down near Godalming in Surrey we are based 4 miles west of Oxford  I wouldn't want to tackle a removal mainly due to I am not a builder to be able to put my mess back together afterwards ??

I do keep bees and run a pest control company though so if its an easy swarm to collect I do normally go and get them at no charge to the occupants. 

12 hours ago, Chaff said:

Would they not just swarm off with a bit of smoke from fireplace below ?

The problem Chaff is the stored honey and residue that will attract new bees. Most old established colonies like the one stated will require the chimney stack to be stripped back and cleaned before a blocking gauze/mesh is fitted under the pot and correct pointing and sealing of the stack is done.

Lighting a fire to smoke them out of a disused old stack may risk causing a chimney fire due to honey being flammable. Remember the stack is probably not used and the fireplace is probably long gone and not even there to light the fire anyway.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, stormyboy said:

Were you expecting them to scaffold, dismantle, remove, clean, rebuild and proof a chimney for £50?

Sorry no one mentioned £50.... the prices were £4000-£7000 as an average...

two guys - two days 

20 minutes ago, Dirksdonuts said:

Sorry no one mentioned £50.... the prices were £4000-£7000 as an average...

two guys - two days 

...and the skill to do all of the above. It would cost that sort of money for a builder to take down and rebuild a Dodgy chimney without bee removal.

How much would you say is reasonable?