Looking at getting into bushing advice welcome

My busher came from Kent. Spaniel terrier. He’s capable of keeping a few Lurchers busy. One is plenty unless you are hunting massive pieces of cover. Things will tend to stay in and give them the run around. For the hedgerows and bits of cover here and there you will be fine with one busher. I enjoy ferreting with mine too. The only advice I would give you is to definitely get one. It brings the Lurchers on no end. We never used to see much on our walks until we got the busher. Wouldn’t be without one now. Just shop around and go for something that’s doing the job. ?

1A0CB3D2-ABF7-46D1-B163-7EEEA165ECDF.jpeg

• Like 10
On 28/04/2020 at 21:32, the lamping ferreter said:

Looking to get into bushing along side my lurcher for rabbits what's the best terrier or dog breed and also is one dog enough to use along side a lurcher to bolt to or kill in cover as I see alot of people have a few I've had running dogs for many years but never bushing dogs all advice welcome 

If you are set on pushing rabbits out of tight cover you will want something small,one busher will never do the work of 2 but 1 is fine to begin with.Id not be wanting the busher to catch,they do on the odd occasion,they are more to assist the lurcher.

On 01/05/2020 at 20:49, morton said:

If you are set on pushing rabbits out of tight cover you will want something small,one busher will never do the work of 2 but 1 is fine to begin with.Id not be wanting the busher to catch,they do on the odd occasion,they are more to assist the lurcher.

I agree with this. From now on any pup I get won’t ever go out with the lurcher until it knows it’s job as i noticed with my last pup she soon learned it was easier and a lot more fun to follow the lurcher instead of her mentor in the cover luckily i clicked early and only took her out with the older busher and it soon got her in the cover more and doing her job instead of the lurchers 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Do folk really have an issue with bushers catching in cover? It’s interesting how different people want different things from a dog. 

I want a busher to catch in cover if the chance arises   aslong as it doesn’t leave it there , I like a dog that is trying to kill what it’s hunting I think it makes them want it more and would be a little miffed if it just sat there looking at quarry what wouldn’t budge , some people like the busher just to nick it out for the runners tho , 

• Thanks 1

If your only bushing hedge rows for rabbits then any terrier of working parents should bush , adding spaniel to the mix makes them a little more controlled and also helps lessen the chance of it dropping to ground , a lot people run spaniel x beagle but most them seem to be running big patches of woodland And gorse etc etc but if you just after rabbit having the beagle blood could end up a bit of a pain in the arse for you if it starts holding a line on fox 

• Like 2