Hi I have got hold of and old springer covered in camo tape I have stripped it all off and sanded the stock I was going to colour the stock and varnish but the stock has come up a nice colour I just want a very clear finish on it what’s best ????

• Like 1

Hi buddy,

If it helps, I bought a brand new, shiny, Walnut Pro Sport a few years back that came to me beautifully ready for a finish to be applied.

IMG_0919.JPG.000c8dcf786f49a6c1b539fb0a35cce8.JPG

My RFD advised me to apply Walnut oil, which I did. 

IMG_0929.JPG.9f4f8e6690aef07b75112839f00fa4f6.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG.da5129c65f130a249d6f5f90a32b3097.JPG

One of the regular lads - Big Mac, ( Jimmy ) should be along soon, refurbishes rifles regularly and prefers different oils for different jobs, here's one of Jimmy`s refurbished rifles that I bought from him.  (front rifle, beech and true oil I believe )

• Like 4
13 hours ago, mark williams said:

Hi buddy,

If it helps, I bought a brand new, shiny, Walnut Pro Sport a few years back that came to me beautifully ready for a finish to be applied.

IMG_0919.JPG.000c8dcf786f49a6c1b539fb0a35cce8.JPG

My RFD advised me to apply Walnut oil, which I did. 

IMG_0929.JPG.9f4f8e6690aef07b75112839f00fa4f6.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG.da5129c65f130a249d6f5f90a32b3097.JPG

One of the regular lads - Big Mac, ( Jimmy ) should be along soon, refurbishes rifles regularly and prefers different oils for different jobs, here's one of Jimmy`s refurbished rifles that I bought from him.  (front rifle, beech and true oil I believe )

they look reqally nice................i re-built a HY 77 a while ago..........not to that standard tho........mine was a barn find and has alot of the blueing missing / worn off...and had a very very strange mod on it......i will put some pics up of it some time...

but that pair you have are really smart..........troulble with the HW's you need a wheelbarrow to cart them around ..:laugh:

• Haha 3
On 28/04/2020 at 11:54, ditchman said:

they look reqally nice................i re-built a HY 77 a while ago..........not to that standard tho........mine was a barn find and has alot of the blueing missing / worn off...and had a very very strange mod on it......i will put some pics up of it some time...

but that pair you have are really smart..........troulble with the HW's you need a wheelbarrow to cart them around ..:laugh:

I did that 77 in tru oil then gave it a light rub over with 0000 wire wool to give it a matt finish

tru oil has to be put on with a lint free cloth fold it into a tight square and apply by starting from the butt pad all the way to the top of the stock and come back down the same line this will remove any excess

tru oil gives a shiny finish but if you wire wool it back once dry you can get it to look like a matt finish

then give it a rub over with bee,s wax and buff off this will protect the stock but give it a little shine

ill buy that 77 back one day Mark

atvbjimmy  :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Haha 1
On 26/04/2020 at 20:51, Sjt657 said:

Hi I have got hold of and old springer covered in camo tape I have stripped it all off and sanded the stock I was going to colour the stock and varnish but the stock has come up a nice colour I just want a very clear finish on it what’s best ????

Right it all comes down to what kind of finish you want

different oils for different stocks

tru oil ,,,,,,,,,this will give it a high shine depending on how many coats you apply you can get it like glass if you wanted

or apply a few coats and wire wool it back a little this will give it a matt finish like Marks 77 above

Tung oil,,,,,,This is for walnut stocks but can be used on beach but the first coat has to be put on by hand and lots of it rub the oil in to the stock and leave to dry now this first coat will sink into the stock and act like a base coat for the rest of the coats to sit on this will give the stock a more natural look

with very little shine

these are the two favs of mine with cracking results

but dont take my word for it let the pics speak for them selfs

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

It all comes down to what finish you want thats in your head

AND TIME IS YOUR BEST FRIEND

rush it you feck it

As Vis would say

SLOWLY SLOWLY CATCH THE MONKEY

Both oils take hours to dry DO NOT TOUCH IT UNTIL DRY

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: