Beddlington x patterdale

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 07:23, foxdropper said:

This post for me sums you up to a T .You think you are better than even your fellow Beddy keepers and reveals even more the fact it’s you that have f****d up your own line ,type whatever .
The Beddy owners I know were more than willing to meet myself ,a stranger to them at first and we’ve had some decent digs .

One has become a lifelong friend .

The terrier world is full of backstabbing arseholes who love nothing better than to see a dig fail and nobody ,whether keeping blacks ,whites ,blues or brindles want to be around that type by choice .

I suspect jealousy has been a large part of why you havnt successfully turned your line around Mort and I know you say you’d go to your worst enemy but I suspect different and quite the opposite .I think you don’t like the idea of anybody having what you had .If your ramblings on here are owt to go by I’m guessing your circle of mates isn’t that big .No one person can carry a line forward Mort ,you need to breed ,test and spread the seed to see what’s working next generation and have the CHOICE of what to use over what not just accept the same old ,same old .

Look at all the successful types and the common denominator is numbers bred ,worked and spread out .

I repeat again your early foresight was misjudged when you started with the working type Beddy for not breeding the numbers and finding working homes so you would now be in a position to cherry pick the breeding instead of HAVING to use x over y because it’s all there is .

Read through my posts more carefully,i have nothing but the greatest respect for the minority of Bedlington terrier owners that share my ambition,to produce a terrier that grafts like a terrier should and looks like a Bedlington

Edited by morton
Went toxic

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a patterdale is lacking that much to make ye think  adding Bedlington is gonna make em better terriers then you've a fcukin screw loose or your related to morton. 

A dog is a dog... If it does the job, then it don't matter whats in em? There's been all sorts added to all the working terrier strains over the yrs....to improve  Colour, coat, conformation and

Think that is a very true comment blackmag, iv said over and over again lads want different things from there terriers ones mans cull will be one mans pot of gold. Different land different type of ear

Posted Images

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 21:56, howdeeposxxt said:

Well we are on two totally different worlds as  ? of mine work below I can now see where the confusion came from I was strictly speaking digging dogs  . I use a Springer type for bushing. Atb

Edited by morton
Went toxic
15 hours ago, morton said:

Read through my posts more carefully,i have nothing but the greatest respect for the minority of Bedlington terrier owners that share my ambition,to produce a terrier that grafts like a terrier should and looks like a Bedlington and produces even litters of pups that graft.I detest,more than I should perhaps,the feckwits and ego,s that see the Bedlington as a cash cow and ego trip.The vast majority of Bedlington owners I have nothing at all in common with,the small minority of proper owners I look up to and strive to catch them up.You have no knowledge of my early foresight,you have no knowledge of pups ive put in other kennels and you have no knowledge of the avenues open to me,because of foresight I had.There are some fine terriermen about that own and work bedlingtons,there are some fine terriermen about that work other terrier types,i cannot fathom the animosity because one works a terrier one way and another his,i appreciate and acknowledge any grafter,i prefer the beddy and the genuine owners of such,you appreciate only what suits your deluded ego.Ill strive to set the same example of better beddy owners than myself and attempt to ignore your pointless passion for recognition..

If you were so fastidious with your early breeding Mort you wouldn’t be on the back foot all the time defending the diminishing gene pool nor would you need to aspire to others .You write of avenues open but reality is there arnt many are there ,you can’t preach to a vicar mate .

Churning in fell type ,lakie whatever will only go one way ,you will lean toward that for work which sort of does away with the need for the half Beddy at all .

I understand the passion ,the need to own a decent terrier but what escapes me is because of that why champion a breed that’s  been on the downturn for years when you could be rolling in clover with a type that self breeds workers after worker .You speak of Bedlingtons as if they are better than other types with the bushing and earth work combo lol .That concept is as old as the game itself and any terrier will do same .If that ain’t ego ,what is it .

I don’t need recognition Mort ,never wanted it nor strived for it as everything fell into place for me but you it seem to want nothing less .

You are desperate to be remembered as the lad who turned the Beddy round ,was a time Mort but you needed  to breed the hell out of anything working ,something you seem loath to do .
Yes it’s very easy to surmise from a few posts on here ,I’m well aware of that ,but that’s all we have and if anyone is prepared to bare all then they better be prepared to defend it ,trust me I know .
A worker is just that Mort ,a given in my world ,I can’t ever remember being without one nor wondering if what others kept was better .
You write of animosity mate but there really is none ,just the frustration that reading about such a passionate terrier man as yourself is devoted to what many see is  a lost cause .

Must be getting soft as I wish you well mate .

• Like 4
On 02/09/2020 at 21:14, justdigit said:

Where do you think your beady cross’s would be regarding earthwork without the fell in them. Bearing in mind the fell used has some very good digging terriers in its make up. As far as earth work is concerned have you made the beddy better by adding fell or made the fell worse by adding beddy? 

well i can say hand on heart the only reason ive used fell blood in my bedlingtons is to improve the jackets and keep the size down the beddy have never needed spicing up if anything they could do with winding down they will fight anything at  the drop of a hat , after all these years of breeding them they breed even litters with good thick coats and are more even tempered  there calm play with the kids etc all day long but flick the switch if they get on scent theres no stopping them atb top

• Like 4
20 hours ago, morton said:

I think you are missing the point I feebly try to put,all my terriers work below,if they failed to do so they would be in the backfill,ill guarantee when you walk from hole to hole checking earths you will pass many a fox sat comfortable in cover.I work the cover and the earths with the same dog.

Ive chucked a few in the back fill up and down but I find the earths go dead after that.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TOPPER said:

well i can say hand on heart the only reason ive used fell blood in my bedlingtons is to improve the jackets and keep the size down the beddy have never needed spicing up if anything they could do with winding down they will fight anything at  the drop of a hat , after all these years of breeding them they breed even litters with good thick coats and are more even tempered  there calm play with the kids etc all day long but flick the switch if they get on scent theres no stopping them atb top

The only terriers id trust with the small children are the beddy,s and as you say they are as much a terrier as any other.Ive still to nail the hard jacket though.

• Like 1
On 05/09/2020 at 20:08, morton said:

I think you are missing the point I feebly try to put,all my terriers work below,if they failed to do so they would be in the backfill,ill guarantee when you walk from hole to hole checking earths you will pass many a fox sat comfortable in cover.I work the cover and the earths with the same dog.

I get digging every week that's all I'm worried about it seems to me you want a ? for your input in hunting /digging that's how you come across, just saying I'd rather stay out a this conversation now as I've no interest what so ever in the beddy as they would have no use over here. Theres more Kerry Blues xs? working over hear than beddys that's saying something.

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 1
On 06/09/2020 at 17:48, morton said:

The only terriers id trust with the small children are the beddy,s and as you say they are as much a terrier as any other.Ive still to nail the hard jacket though.

Edited by justdigit
  • Like 4
On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 09:57, justdigit said:

You say they’re as much terrier as any other yet you put a pic up before of your lad holding 2 fox at an earth well acouple of week after that pic was taken  the beddys failed to get it. It had to be dug with a black dog does that make as much terrier as the 13 month pup that was dug for her 4th time in that puppy earth. I’ve seen them work and they a decent fox dogs but to start comparing them to proper fell types and black dogs and say the beddys come out on top you’ve obviously witnessed some very useless terriers. I’m not crabbing them just saying they don’t compare as far as being a terrier. I understand they get a lot bushing with them. The only reason you’d struggle bushing with a proper black dog is you’d have no control as they’d be to keen when they hit a line and probably end up in trouble. 

Edited by morton
Went toxic
On 12/09/2020 at 19:01, morton said:

Ive never put any pics up,cain as,i don,t know how to.Im unsure what you are talking about with the rest of the post as it does not add up to what I heard.The reason I believe the Bedlington comes on top,as ive often stated about my hunting lifestyle,is they better suit me and my needs and thus are better for 

Edited by justdigit
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, justdigit said:

A fails a fail in my eyes not the end of the world it happens to us all. I thought terrier meant dog of the earth not dog of the bush. So to say they are more terrier than black dogs or fells is that really true Morton ?

Edited by morton
Went toxic
7 minutes ago, morton said:

Read through my posts,id rather encourage a lad wanting a working terrier to source a Black un,they are more idiot proof and working reliable than anything out there now.A terrier was originally bred to be a jack of all trades type of hunting companion.I wish for a multi-task type of hunting companion,it better suits my hunting lifestyle and the Beddy fits that purpose,others want only a digging terrier and the black un better suits their purpose.Its not a case of whats the best terrier out there,although the Black terrier holds that ground for many now,its what best suits your hunting mindset.Others will only own a russel and ive spent a season or 3 with a russel that was dug to more than most,the lad that owned the russel owned mainly black terriers but that fact never discouraged the use of the mucky white dog.Its what best suits and the Black is your terrier of choice,the russel the next man and the lakey another,on the fringes of the working terrier world are a few set in the wool Bedlington owners.For the versatile factor I truly believe the Bedlington is the terrier to own,as I believe the black terrier is the dominant digging terrier today.If you got a mark from a Black terrier,dug to a steady mark,broke through and found the black terrier holding his mark,would that be classed as a failure?,thats exactly what happened with the Bedlington.

That’s not what happened with the beddy he was not with his animal. The animal could not be got in that dig. That in my eyes is a failure. If the dog was [BANNED TEXT] with it it could of been got from that Dig. The dog wasn’t holding it and the animal couldn’t be seen. I spoke to T and your son about it shortly after and they both said they wasn’t going to get it with the dog that day