Beddlington x patterdale

2 hours ago, eastcoast said:

I think it would be fair to say that 1st well known and recorded use of an out cross was by George Newcombe. I am only going on things that I have read and did not know him but apparently the reason behind the outcross was not due anything lacking in his Bedlingtons but becoming too closely bred and he did not consider unrelated Bedlingtons worthy of introducing into his own strain as a means of making the gene pool healthier. 

There were a few before George started outcross but your [BANNED TEXT] he knew the kc brigade had started to ruin the old type bedlington forever atb

• Like 1

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a patterdale is lacking that much to make ye think  adding Bedlington is gonna make em better terriers then you've a fcukin screw loose or your related to morton. 

A dog is a dog... If it does the job, then it don't matter whats in em? There's been all sorts added to all the working terrier strains over the yrs....to improve  Colour, coat, conformation and

Think that is a very true comment blackmag, iv said over and over again lads want different things from there terriers ones mans cull will be one mans pot of gold. Different land different type of ear

Posted Images

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 20:36, W. Katchum said:

20+ digs a year but I wouldn’t have a lot of dogs in kennel an would expect any digging dog I had to earn it’s keep,  how many you think is acceptable? An if we talking bolts then  surely double that or it’s just a bushing dog?

Edited by morton
Went toxic
4 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Too proud mate and anyway his are f****d already by sounds of it .

If my worst enemy owned a Better terrier or lurcher than me id attempt to source a pup from them or certainly a line,ive never been to proud to admit that others own better than me.The thing with Any terrier,especially Bedlingtons is the fact that there is very little honesty,in breeding and working tales.Ive struggled to find honest stock,as have many others.I don,t line for the sake of a line and the next dog I use is about 8 weeks old now.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, morton said:

Bedlingtons are being used and have a small and genuine following,the other beddy owners are in it for the ego rush and dollar.There is no secrecy just careful owners who have been bitten on the arse once to often.How many terrier lads with Russels,Black terriers etc.,will keep company with or hunt with strangers?,would you take a stranger out with you?.Some Bedlington owners won,t and are accused of so much bollocks when others are less stranger friendly.

Yea I would if they were vouched for , thing is mort it’s ok them keep saying there still beddys out there !!! Where ?? Are we just ment to belive they are ? People will obviously keep selling black pups and people will keep buying black pups, you’ll get honest decent lads selling them just as you will the c**ts trying make money but how many working beddy terrier do you see ever advertised for sale ? None it’s all kept in this secret squirrel club that unfortunately me and 99% of folk don’t belive exist , sure there the odd one or two lads who post pics of there beddy terrier but there just as much fell crossed back in to them as beddys , and we just have to belive they work as there that secret squirrel no one else has ever seen them work , there acouple lads on here who could vouch for me here and I’d happily take them out for them to show me there beddy been dug to but I won’t hold my breath , 

• Like 2
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 21:21, Elchapo said:

Yea I would if they were vouched for , thing is mort it’s ok them keep saying there still beddys out there !!! Where ?? Are we just ment to belive they are ? People will obviously keep selling black pups and people will keep buying black pups, you’ll get honest decent lads selling them just as you will the c**ts trying make money but how many working beddy terrier do you see ever advertised for sale ? None it’s all kept in this secret squirrel club that unfortunately me and 99% of folk don’t belive exist , sure there the odd one or two lads who post pics of there beddy terrier but there just as much fell crossed back in to them as beddys , and we just have to belive they work as there that secret squirrel no one else has ever seen them work , there acouple lads on here who could vouch for me here and I’d happily take them out for them to show me there beddy been dug to but I won’t hold my breath , 

Edited by morton
Went toxic
1 hour ago, morton said:

How much earth work would an average terrier,in an average kennel undertake in an average season?.I know of lads with Black terriers that have lined their bitches to a Beddy dog and I know of lads with black terriers and Lakelands that are now looking for a Beddy.Times and attitudes are changing,digging is fraught with a risk factor than some find to be more trouble than its worth.A change in direction is sought by some,a terrier that can ratch about on top,find and flush a fox from cover to gun or chaser,push it to ground and bolt it or be dug to.Terriers and their fashion are changeable,perhaps the Bedlington is gaining favour again because of what it offers.You trail around with a couple of Bedlingtons and you fly under the radar,you walk the same areas with a couple of black terriers and you will soon have plod sticking their nose in.

Morton im not saying you don't know men digging beddys or that some have swead over to the beddy that's in your own world that you live in, I'm on about the bigger scale a things  as an earth dog in this day and age in my honest opinion we will be well rotted in our graves before the beddys over comes the black stuff. I've my piece said on the matter and I think I speak for the majority of digging men. If your on about mooching about then fair enough I'm on about earthdogs and earthdogs alone. To put a number how many digs a terrier gets a season that's a very hard question to answer for instance a hard dog doing a good number of hours to ground nd a dog took out on the hunt to take out a fox of a light ditch will do alot more it's impossible t answer almost.

• Like 2
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 21:37, howdeeposxxt said:

Morton im not saying you don't know men digging beddys or that some have swead over to the beddy that's in your own world that you live in, I'm on about the bigger scale a things  as an earth dog in this day and age in my honest opinion we will be well rotted in our graves before the beddys over comes the black stuff. I've my piece said on the matter and I think I speak for the majority of digging men. If your on about mooching about then fair enough I'm on about earthdogs and earthdogs alone. To put a number how many digs a terrier gets a season that's a very hard question to answer for instance a hard dog doing a good number of hours to ground nd a dog took out on the hunt to take out a fox of a light ditch will do alot more it's impossible t answer almost.

Edited by morton
Went toxic
6 minutes ago, morton said:

If I wanted a terrier to dig to again id go try and get another Lakeland,im possibly fortunate that I know where to source a decent un or 2.It would be far easier to source a black terrier because genuine ones are thicker on the ground.I totally agree that as a working terrier you would be stupid to source a Bedlington for digging when you could get a more reliable and viable mutt with a black terrier,they are a far more serious breed,on the whole.Do not get blindsided by the fact that over 75% of the work my terriers encounter is above ground,the other 25% of the graft they encounter is comparable with any other terrier that as FOX on its radar.When fox is of lesser importance id certainly own a Black terrier if a Lakey was,nt available.

Well we are on two totally different worlds as  ? of mine work below I can now see where the confusion came from I was strictly speaking digging dogs  . I use a Springer type for bushing. Atb

Edited by howdeeposxxt
10 hours ago, morton said:

Bedlingtons are being used and have a small and genuine following,the other beddy owners are in it for the ego rush and dollar.There is no secrecy just careful owners who have been bitten on the arse once to often.How many terrier lads with Russels,Black terriers etc.,will keep company with or hunt with strangers?,would you take a stranger out with you?.Some Bedlington owners won,t and are accused of so much bollocks when others are less stranger friendly.

This post for me sums you up to a T .You think you are better than even your fellow Beddy keepers and reveals even more the fact it’s you that have f****d up your own line ,type whatever .
The Beddy owners I know were more than willing to meet myself ,a stranger to them at first and we’ve had some decent digs .

One has become a lifelong friend .

The terrier world is full of backstabbing arseholes who love nothing better than to see a dig fail and nobody ,whether keeping blacks ,whites ,blues or brindles want to be around that type by choice .

I suspect jealousy has been a large part of why you havnt successfully turned your line around Mort and I know you say you’d go to your worst enemy but I suspect different and quite the opposite .I think you don’t like the idea of anybody having what you had .If your ramblings on here are owt to go by I’m guessing your circle of mates isn’t that big .No one person can carry a line forward Mort ,you need to breed ,test and spread the seed to see what’s working next generation and have the CHOICE of what to use over what not just accept the same old ,same old .

Look at all the successful types and the common denominator is numbers bred ,worked and spread out .

I repeat again your early foresight was misjudged when you started with the working type Beddy for not breeding the numbers and finding working homes so you would now be in a position to cherry pick the breeding instead of HAVING to use x over y because it’s all there is .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, morton said:

If I wanted a terrier to dig to again id go try and get another Lakeland,im possibly fortunate that I know where to source a decent un or 2.It would be far easier to source a black terrier because genuine ones are thicker on the ground.I totally agree that as a working terrier you would be stupid to source a Bedlington for digging when you could get a more reliable and viable mutt with a black terrier,they are a far more serious breed,on the whole.Do not get blindsided by the fact that over 75% of the work my terriers encounter is above ground,the other 25% of the graft they encounter is comparable with any other terrier that as FOX on its radar.When fox is of lesser importance id certainly own a Black terrier if a Lakey was,nt available.

Where do you think your beady cross’s would be regarding earthwork without the fell in them. Bearing in mind the fell used has some very good digging terriers in its make up. As far as earth work is concerned have you made the beddy better by adding fell or made the fell worse by adding beddy? 

• Like 1
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 21:14, justdigit said:

Where do you think your beady cross’s would be regarding earthwork without the fell in them. Bearing in mind the fell used has some very good digging terriers in its make up. As far as earth work is concerned have you made the beddy better by adding fell or made the fell worse by adding beddy? 

The only reason I used the fell was because my mutts were to tightly bred and an outcross was needed.

Edited by morton
Went toxic
  • Like 1