Beddlington x patterdale

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a patterdale is lacking that much to make ye think  adding Bedlington is gonna make em better terriers then you've a fcukin screw loose or your related to morton. 

A dog is a dog... If it does the job, then it don't matter whats in em? There's been all sorts added to all the working terrier strains over the yrs....to improve  Colour, coat, conformation and

Think that is a very true comment blackmag, iv said over and over again lads want different things from there terriers ones mans cull will be one mans pot of gold. Different land different type of ear

Posted Images

22 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Everybody looks to blacks to resurrect any breed .

Because they’ve got every type of terrier in them there a non script terrier all shapes and sizes atb

• Like 1

No mate ,they are the only consistent  type we have .The Russel type is patchy as well as the Lakeland but most types of fell ,patterdale ,call them what you like will work .At least among the lads I know .What I’m saying is there is a much larger gene pool .Every type of terrier be it white,blue , black ,tan whatever has size differences within the type .Unless there is going to be a national breed standard with a data base accessible to all ,pockets all around the country will have different requirements for their breeding .

The Bedlingtons has fallen out of favour ,fashion that’s all and I applaud lads that have working stock ,fighting against a dwindling gene pool and love of the breed .

I know lads that have perfectly good Beddy stock but struggle to find an outcross so they turn to the black dog for a generation of blood put back to Beddy stuff ,No shame  ,just doing what’s necessary in the absence of a choice to go to.

The only way to resurrect the breed as a worker is to breed and work them and spread far and wide ,which is far from happening to the majority of them at the moment .

As said I respect anyone who has devoted time to the breed ,even Morton ?

• Like 6
23 hours ago, foxdropper said:

No mate ,they are the only consistent  type we have .The Russel type is patchy as well as the Lakeland but most types of fell ,patterdale ,call them what you like will work .At least among the lads I know .What I’m saying is there is a much larger gene pool .Every type of terrier be it white,blue , black ,tan whatever has size differences within the type .Unless there is going to be a national breed standard with a data base accessible to all ,pockets all around the country will have different requirements for their breeding .

The Bedlingtons has fallen out of favour ,fashion that’s all and I applaud lads that have working stock ,fighting against a dwindling gene pool and love of the breed .

I know lads that have perfectly good Beddy stock but struggle to find an outcross so they turn to the black dog for a generation of blood put back to Beddy stuff ,No shame  ,just doing what’s necessary in the absence of a choice to go to.

The only way to resurrect the breed as a worker is to breed and work them and spread far and wide ,which is far from happening to the majority of them at the moment .

As said I respect anyone who has devoted time to the breed ,even Morton ?

Very true all breeds need a top up even the blacks or chocolates atb

• 3 months later...
On 26/04/2020 at 08:11, jackthelad said:

where are these working bedlingtons? iv had been about teriers and lurchers since i was a boy iv never saw one with a hole in its nose in the flesh ...was a guy topper on here used to post some nice types but i think even them had fell blood in them....so is it all romantic bullshit about terriers from 45 plus years ago or are they some mythical rock dog that men keep up there jumpers till its time to rock and roll...russels patterdales even borders and lakeys you can find workers without lookin to hard....so where are the beddy men lets see them?

well havent been on for a long time now just keeping my head down but all my beddies have varying degrees of fell blood in them as it keeps the size down gives them better coats and all in all makes for a hardier dog not that beddies need spicing up if that were the case you d best shoot them , and for all the black dog boys were do you think they came from ? all pats have bedlington in them may be 60 years ago but they have beddie in them done right its a good mix best of luck with it atb Tops

• Like 5

According to terriermen born n bred in patterdale and around that area find it strange. Black dogs are called patts as they didnt come from that area as all terriers there were all strongly.  Bedlington blooded ? And its possible. Black dogs arrived from germany ? Atb

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

According to terriermen born n bred in patterdale and around that area find it strange. Black dogs are called patts as they didnt come from that area as all terriers there were all strongly.  Bedlington blooded ? And its possible. Black dogs arrived from germany ? Atb

Back to the lurcher section you. Lol. 

• Haha 1
On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 21:09, Loton Moocher said:

Edited by morton
Went toxic
17 minutes ago, morton said:

The nearest thing to a patterdale is a black and tan Lakeland,there were black terriers around that area that heavily influenced by the Beddy that knew no Craut ancestry.The Scottish todhunters must have influenced the black terrier,thus the beddy,the records for this are as mysterious as the Fabled Rothbury.Its impossible for a foreign influence to influence the early stock as the travel restrictions at the time,walking distance,played the major part in breed selection.The lakelands,bedlingtons and Borders were bred in a very small part of the country.The area the packs and terriers hunted the fox,on foot,was a major influence on selective breeding and breed specific type terriers.

Do you give any credence to the theory that some primitive type of water dog, pre-curly coated retriever or Irish water spaniel, may be in the Bedlington way back and account for some of it's unique, or at least none typical terrier qualities?

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 17:24, eastcoast said:

Do you give any credence to the theory that some primitive type of water dog, pre-curly coated retriever or Irish water spaniel, may be in the Bedlington way back and account for some of it's unique, or at least none typical terrier qualities?

Edited by morton
Went toxic
31 minutes ago, morton said:

Ive looked at many avenues that may have influenced the Beddy as a type terrier,at one time it was supposed to have originated from the fens and the dutch diggers,a long old slog up to Bedlington without a barge.The irish influence may be dismissed with a certain amount of certainty,foot distance.Its obvious the Bedlington,if you,ve ever owned one,is certainly influenced by a non terrier type,in the area it surfaced it was considered important that the terrier could keep up with the hounds and the hound lugs on the Beddy may offer another influence.To me no terrier was bred at the time unless it was worth breeding from,different times and different attitudes,the attitude in that area at that time was work or cull and anything that did not earn its corn would never have made any sort of impact in terrier production.Its impossible to know with any certainty what influenced the early terrier type production line except the fact that earth working terriers produced all of them and anything else was pointless,thus I'm heavily influenced by the terriers the todhunters wandered into those areas with,best grafter to best grafter was something that influenced the early types,generalised locations before transport made the evolution of the best recognised terriers the country will ever see,lakelands,borders and bedlingtons.

Border Lakeland bedlington== black terrier atb

33 minutes ago, morton said:

Ive looked at many avenues that may have influenced the Beddy as a type terrier,at one time it was supposed to have originated from the fens and the dutch diggers,a long old slog up to Bedlington without a barge.The irish influence may be dismissed with a certain amount of certainty,foot distance.Its obvious the Bedlington,if you,ve ever owned one,is certainly influenced by a non terrier type,in the area it surfaced it was considered important that the terrier could keep up with the hounds and the hound lugs on the Beddy may offer another influence.To me no terrier was bred at the time unless it was worth breeding from,different times and different attitudes,the attitude in that area at that time was work or cull and anything that did not earn its corn would never have made any sort of impact in terrier production.Its impossible to know with any certainty what influenced the early terrier type production line except the fact that earth working terriers produced all of them and anything else was pointless,thus I'm heavily influenced by the terriers the todhunters wandered into those areas with,best grafter to best grafter was something that influenced the early types,generalised locations before transport made the evolution of the best recognised terriers the country will ever see,lakelands,borders and bedlingtons.

Thank you for the reply morton. I have not owned a Bedlington but hope to one day. The most time that I have spent with the breed was when a friend who lived next to me got one and lost interest in him. The man was into terriers and working them but the Beddy ended up too big for his criteria but fair play to him he kept it until its' death. I used to take it out for exercise and general rabbiting and ratting type stuff with my terriers. He was purely a digging man and his dogs spent most of their life in kennels :-).  It was a shy reserved type of dog initially but gained in confidence and loved to hunt even though never becoming part of the canine team.

I have spent a lot of time with a Spanish Water dog that I also did not own. That dog reminded me very much of the Bedlington and not just because of the physical similarities.