Decided it was time to get some new blood in the flock again so looked on the bay to see what's about. Jeez! Five times the usual price of hatching eggs.

Wish I had not lost my temper with two of the cockerels back in the winter now.

Anyway, I had to lump it so bought two and a half dozen (Plymouth barred rock, copper Black marans, Cornish game and cream legbars).

Might do a second hatch after these to bring on to pol,s and recoup my outlay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mole trapper said:

Decided it was time to get some new blood in the flock again so looked on the bay to see what's about. Jeez! Five times the usual price of hatching eggs.

Wish I had not lost my temper with two of the cockerels back in the winter now.

Anyway, I had to lump it so bought two and a half dozen (Plymouth barred rock, copper Black marans, Cornish game and cream legbars).

Might do a second hatch after these to bring on to pol,s and recoup my outlay.

How many do you expect will hatch out of 30? Are they a high failure rate Or are u wanting a fair few birds?

As they have been through the postal service we don't generally expect as good a hatch rate as if they were our own or picked up by us. Still I would be hoping for minimum of 70%.

I'm hoping to hatch a couple of dozen guinea fowl this year too, we won't be doing pure meat birds this year as I expect a very wet winter again , that's no good for heavy fowl with short legs because of the mud.

• 2 weeks later...

We candled the eggs last night that came from four different sellers on the bay. At the moment it looks like all of them are fertile. Obviously early days and all that.

Dozen duck eggs should hatch tomorrow or the next day that are sat on.

Goose has at least eleven under her, they are due around the 17th.

Going to be a lot of mouths to feed round here soon.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

What's that? I am  ew to the chickens 

https://www.durhamhens.co.uk/sexing-chicks

I can't remember rightly I thought it was when you put the legbar over a certain colour hen either a white or dark one an then you could tell by colour of the chicks if they were female or male. 

Just candles the eggs in the incubator, still looking like all of them are good.

Just literally done this lot up , ought to be selling them not pickling them but I do like them with a pint of scrumpy and a pork pie in the winter. 

IMG_20200508_184834.jpg