What to get?

Learned to shoot C,F in the cadets on s.m.l.e .303 aged 13 ahem a "couple "of years ago .Awesome shooting and as the Afghan and Iraqi militias proved long range no issues. 

Still see them coming up between 300 to 800 pounds depending on condition.

And ammunition available locally, happy memories 

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last hornet. A BSA. 1958.

It is Anschutz man ffs. If you are going to recommend a make to someone at least spell it correctly. Schultz is what you put under a car to stop it rusting, or to hide the fact that it alrea

I’d go 300 Win mag, but we have some bloody big rabbits up here ?

Posted Images

4 hours ago, KimE said:

What happened with the use of .303 British it must have been a great round?

I had a friend once (yes just the once) he had an old enfield WWII .303 and burnt into the stock was "property of Nigerian police", it had obviously been about a bit but was great to shoot and very accurate.

Henry Kranks still sell them them and spares.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2
On 02/05/2020 at 08:32, walshie said:

Ha ha. Yes we did have. I believe the main one now has a clause in it's insurance that requires you to pay the 1st £500 of any action. That's not what I really call insurance.

Literally any insurance from pet insurance to car to motorbike to house has an excess. 

Not usually on a group policy or if there is, the organisation often indemnifies you against the excess. I've never known a member of an organisation have to pay an excess to claim for legal cover under their organisation. That's what you pay membership for. Most groups indemnify you against all costs. BASC insurance never had an excess before that I remember. Either way, £500 is just ridiculous. An example of someone buying a policy at the cheapest possible price to make the most profit in my opinion. It's certainly the last time I buy BASC membership. I'll go it alone and do my own defence or find another organisation that doesn't charge me an excess.

4 hours ago, Alsone said:

Not usually on a group policy or if there is, the organisation often indemnifies you against the excess. I've never known a member of an organisation have to pay an excess to claim for legal cover under their organisation. That's what you pay membership for. Most groups indemnify you against all costs. BASC insurance never had an excess before that I remember. Either way, £500 is just ridiculous. An example of someone buying a policy at the cheapest possible price to make the most profit in my opinion. It's certainly the last time I buy BASC membership. I'll go it alone and do my own defence or find another organisation that doesn't charge me an excess.

You could argue with yourself in a phonebox couldn't you? :laugh:

9 hours ago, walshie said:

You could argue with yourself in a phonebox couldn't you? :laugh:

Probably. Just never come across a group policy that requires a member to pay an excess. The BASC policy never required £500 previously and £82 a year subscription for what, a magazine worth about £4 four times a year? You're expected to pay £82 a year then another £500 for every licensing issue, with no guarantee of success or that the BASC won't drop the case? Just not justifiable in my mind. I used to pay £32 with totally free insurance cover. Now it's £82 plus £500. Not somewhere I'm going to put my money. 

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Probably. Just never come across a group policy that requires a member to pay an excess. The BASC policy never required £500 previously and £82 a year subscription for what, a magazine worth about £4 four times a year? You're expected to pay £82 a year then another £500 for every licensing issue, with no guarantee of success or that the BASC won't drop the case? Just not justifiable in my mind. I used to pay £32 with totally free insurance cover. Now it's £82 plus £500. Not somewhere I'm going to put my money. 

I'm a member of basc purely as it comes with my sub to my syndicate but not out of choice. I'm also member of GWCT, a much more worthwhile organisation all round IMO (and the magazine is better!)

• Like 1

Yeah Ben. I've always supported the BASC but the whole insurance situation has angered me this year. I'm not going to say it again in detail as I've said it above but it's not the cover I'm willing to pay for. BASC has become far too greedy in my opinion. When I received a renewal breakdown from memory I believe the insurance premium formed less than £10 of the entire £82 membership fee. The idea they couldn't have paid for a policy costing eg £12 per head with no excess or a small excess and covered it themselves on behalf of members in the event of a claim, is alien to me. Also, if they'd get something done at Governmental level about the guidelines being guidelines ie get them as Laws with penalties for forces that depart from them, then there wouldn't be so many claims in the 1st place becasue all forces would be working to rigid rules and the same standards and any case that arose would be a guaranteed win as laws were broken. As it is, many of the claims arise from forces making their own rules up or simply ignoring the guidelines. Prime example, medical reports.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 2