Busher types, springer beagles anyone?

Fox dog

Have a couple beagles, have a very good bitch good finder and plenty tongue, was thinking of cross with a barking springer, springer in mind no problems hunting cover barking and marks too ground, what I'm looking to know is anyone got them what they like for holding a line recall ect. 

if there brought up hunting fox from pups. they are real good dogs will search every inch of cover,will follow a line if scents good. better suited for finding and pushing out of covers thou for lurchers.had a good bitch before.seen a couple of good cockers work fox allso.

• Like 3

from my experience they make a hell of a lot better dog to search cover and find charlie just a lot busier dog.only thing you migt lose is the tounge.friend of mine has 2 on at moment 10 months old genuine half cross springer beagle. both will hunt and find fox you wouldnt see many beagles do that at 10 months.1 has a great voice other is a bit screetchy both going to make great dogs have bags of potential.

Edited by mighty celt
  • Like 2

I've been told that the springer x wouldn't travel as far, beagle go on forever, there is a possible stud if I can track him down, full beagle marking also and is only handy size, just can't make up my mind that's why posted get more opinions, at min I've two beagles and a beagle harrier cross that threw to the beagle, I keep few terriers also 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Fox dog said:

I've been told that the springer x wouldn't travel as far, beagle go on forever, there is a possible stud if I can track him down, full beagle marking also and is only handy size, just can't make up my mind that's why posted get more opinions, at min I've two beagles and a beagle harrier cross that threw to the beagle, I keep few terriers also 

Good luck with what you choose and keep us posted of the pups progress.. it’s definitely a dog I want in the future. The game is definitely out there, you’ve just got to find it. 

we normally dont let them run scent if we can,we hunt covers and try push them to lurchers or ground. but if charlie slips past us belive me they will follow as far as beagle probably not as fast over open ground but in covers bogs they are demons to hunt.use a fairly big springer as they tend to go to ground if they can.best of luck with litter.

• Like 2
On 21/04/2020 at 21:56, Fox dog said:

Have a couple beagles, have a very good bitch good finder and plenty tongue, was thinking of cross with a barking springer, springer in mind no problems hunting cover barking and marks too ground, what I'm looking to know is anyone got them what they like for holding a line recall ect. 

I was in your position not long ago so I decided in the end and I managed to get 3/4 Springer 1/4 beagle form the old barking springer and she's doing some serious hunting already and she's only 16mths got her in North Tipp. Now I do hunt her on bunny's and red and she'll bark on sight on both of em but will also bark on fresh red sent. She marked for me roughly about  9months and from then on I've got a nice few foxes with just her alone either flushing to lurcher or them going to ground  . She is always close enough to see what's going on apart from when the red fella wants a cross-country chase. Then she will go a few fields and gives up if Charlie hasn't gone to ground. I've also same age Cocker X beagle but he is only now showing starting to be of some use, He has spoking on fox and sounds alot more vocal than the Springer type which sounds more yappy but he is no way near her yet bushing wise but maybe only he is tuning in to things as of now he is still young. 

Edited by howdeeposxxt
14 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

I was in your position not long ago so I decided in the end and I managed to get 3/4 Springer 1/4 beagle form the old barking springer and she's doing some serious hunting already and she's only 16mths got her in North Tipp. Now I do hunt her on bunny's and red and she'll bark on sight on both of em but will also bark on fresh red sent. She marked for me roughly about  9months and from then on I've got a nice few foxes with just her alone either flushing to lurcher or them going to ground  . She is always close enough to see what's going on apart from when the red fella wants a cross-country chase. Then she will go a few fields and gives up if Charlie hasn't gone to ground. I've also same age Cocker X beagle but he is only now showing starting to be of some use, He has spoking on fox and sounds alot more vocal than the Springer type which sounds more yappy but he is no way near her yet bushing wise but maybe only he is tuning in to things as of now he is still young

Excellent, think I'm gonna go with crossing her with the springer, should be a good cross, both excel on f and springer is marking as well, so it'll be 1st cross springer beagle, I will get a pic up of the bitch soon, 

4 minutes ago, Fox dog said:

Excellent, think I'm gonna go with crossing her with the springer, should be a good cross, both excel on f and springer is marking as well, so it'll be 1st cross springer beagle, I will get a pic up of the bitch soon, 

I bet ya they'll make goodens. 

I have a 3/4 springer type myself and she does well for me. Not everyone's cup of tea but each to their own eh. She works rabbits and foxes and has put plenty out for the lurchers over the years. She only barks on sight though but when shes on a fresh scent she really lights up and can really shift through cover or open ground when she needs to. To be honest I wouldn't be without her. I would highly recommend a half cross. I think you'll be well pleased ?

• Like 1

Rate the beagle x cocker very highly .excellent grafters always looking for graft. Although they will go a bit if charlie boy missed ,they wont go to far.although we have no first xes left we have dogs and bitches out of them.we have also got a beagle foxhound x spaniel .hell of a voice and drive on him .but he will travel and keep a line a lot further .