What was the last book you read?

12 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

It's more of a slow burner but all I'm doing at work is sat on the gate all day so got plenty of time to go at it,  I've nearly finished it now. 

Yep Sapiens is great and really thought provoking, I wonder how it will play out for us in the future. We are some way off but he is predicting that we could possibly unlock immortality, I'm not sure if that would benefit the human race at all tbh. 

'ammortality' if I recall. :D

His bit about that was really interesting. How mortality gives us freedom, whereas a life that isn't ended by old age would make us incredibly risk averse.

Tbh one of the most interesting topics he covered was happiness and how progress probably isn't actually leading to it, yet it 'feels' like it does, therefore driving it on.

Edited by Born Hunter

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s a very interesting subject and rewarding too if you are into that sort of thing mate. You build nature up not rip it too bits like modern factory farming. You restore the soil, you rest

Conn igguldenn series about Genghis Kahn is quality.  Think first book is wolf of the plains there's 4 or 5 books in the series.  He has a series on Julius ceaser aswell that's good but not quite

A very good read especially as they came from just up the road from me and some of the estates and places mentioned in it I’m still walking today, well worth a read and for anyone in Gloucestershire t

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

'ammortality' if I recall. :D

His bit about that was really interesting. How mortality gives us freedom, whereas a life that isn't ended by old age would make us incredibly risk averse.

Tbh one of the most interesting topics he covered was happiness and how progress probably isn't actually leading to it, yet it 'feels' like it does, therefore driving it on.

Yep that's the one, we could still be killed by an accident or something. I don't know if I'd want to live for ever truth be told. Like he said how would that work with your career and personal life? Could you see yourself sticking to the same job or even the same woman for hundreds of years? ?

Yes, happiness is a conundrum we still haven't solved. Are we today actually any happier than the foragers of the past? He seems to think hunter gatherers had a more content lifestyle than those a part of the agricultural revolution. 

He seems to agree that genetics play a big part in happiness, that's why you encounter chirpy people who have much less wealth than yourself and also miserable people who have all the things money can buy. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I was given this a few year ago and always had to swerve questions about what I thought of it, as I hadn't read it until today.   Good read for people of a football or northern persuasion. Confirmation that apathy, lack of ambition and greed are not new things in the world of football in regard to those who control the clubs. Probably more so in the north east of England than elsewhere else.

When I read a book it is always in the hope that I find out something new to me which is not difficult as I know bugger all about f**k all. Found two things in this book:

1) I knew that Kevin Keegan's dad was a Geordie pitman who moved to Doncaster for work, but did not know that his great grandfather was Frank Keegan, a true hero of the Stanley pit disaster of 1909. 168 men and boys killed. 

2) When Kevin Keegan 1st walked away from NUFC , still a football player at the time but never played again, and Arthur Cox, his last manager, both walked because of lack of ambition from the board/owners. Both of those men wanted to sign a young local kid called Steve Bruce. 

001.jpg

002 (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Might get this , really enjoyed the soldier spy book...

I've seen it said ~ by a great many ~ that that guy's a complete and total Walt and that his books are works of fantasy. That by people who'd probably have a better notion than perhaps you, certainly I.

Ironically, my own last book was a re read of " Whisper Who Dares " by Terence Strong. Cracking read!

22 minutes ago, Balaur said:

why would your mates care?

Whose mates? Not my mates. I haven't got any mates! Just something I came across on a forum. Passing comment. Like people do, on forums :)

I can only guess that it might piss people off that he's framing it as non fiction?

1 hour ago, Balaur said:

I remember Hugh fernly putting clover seed down on cow pat's as it puts nitrogen back into the soil...some interesting plants regards good and bad....

It’s a very interesting subject and rewarding too if you are into that sort of thing mate.

You build nature up not rip it too bits like modern factory farming.

You restore the soil, you restore the environment, you restore the wildlife and every thing works in harmony with each other......it’s also probably the only way a small farm can be viable and pay for itself.

• Like 5
On 26/04/2020 at 12:42, Greyman said:

A very good read especially as they came from just up the road from me and some of the estates and places mentioned in it I’m still walking today, well worth a read and for anyone in Gloucestershire the added local interests as mentioned 

CCAC38C4-CCB3-48EA-B272-49088B133CF9.jpeg

I bought that after seeing your post and really enjoyed it thanks 

“Stealing fire”

Jumping between audible and kindle.....have to get a hard copy for future reference.

about getting into flow state and the experiments by navy seals Wall Street Silicon Valley etc with micro dosing phyciodelics 

Very very interesting only 3rd of the way in and hooked

love Wilbur Smith thought greatest author total loose my self into the pages of his writing 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Just finished this, grew up with this bloke on the telly before the New Order/Hacienda stuff.

Very interesting 8/10

Cheers, D.

Screenshot_20210507-013426.png

• Like 1