how to attach long net to poles

gav000

Hi there i was given a net and i would like to know how people attach their net to the poles. I was thinking of trying to make a quick set net after looking at other posts.

Right now i have spring steel poles but need some great ideas to attach the net to them. if people could post close up photo of their systems that would be great.

Hoping for some help. :yes:

Thanks Maty J, :thumbs:

The photo helped a lot, it gives a great view and the step by step tying of the clove hitch will help.

just a question what is your poles diameter? and do u have grommets at the top and bottom?

once again thanks

Gav

yup, you have grommets top and bottom, then depending how far you need to push your pole in the ground, the bottom grommet once worn in, should set itself at the correct hieght

as for getting hold of the grommets, try an electrical wholesaler, they do a grommet, very simular that pushed into a metal socket box the the wires to run through,

another way, if you cant get the grommets, is to use the elastic bands used by vets to dock tails, fixing your longnet to the poles with a double clove hitch, and then fixing the band in a figure eight position to hold all in place

The thing that i found that works would be bike tyre tubes cut into small bands, creating small round bands that does the same job but shouldn't Biodegrade. They may brake after a long time in the sun but all rubber products are the same. :D :D

The thing that i found that works would be bike tyre tubes cut into small bands, creating small round bands that does the same job but shouldn't Biodegrade. They may brake after a long time in the sun but all rubber products are the same. :D:D

Sounds like a good idea and they won't break as quick over here as we don't get that sun for 11 months of the year. :laugh:

Lud

I have made one or two pre set longnets :whistling:

You want a clove hitch, yes indeed, but you also want to include a mesh in the knot to keep the net in place top and bottom........its pretty important to do this ;)

If you use the lamb castration rings or inner tubes, you will find that the net will not slide up and down like when using the grommits, I have both and find both methods have there pro's and con's. If using the grommits, make sure you use the correct type of braid, and a grommit with plenty of space in it, for the clove hitch to sit in too. I have seen some awful longnets supplied with top and bottom lines like bloody rope there is no way that the clove hitch will sit in the grommit well. Best stuff is a 3mm braid.

I am putting together a 4z 100yrder this weekend(weather permitting) but best to take your time and get it spot on before taking it into the field.

Good luck with your net, and good hunting ;)

post-46-1200388921_thumb.jpg

I have seen some awful longnets supplied with top and bottom lines like bloody rope there is no way that the clove hitch will sit in the grommit well. Best stuff is a 3mm braid.

Isnt 3mm braid still a little on the thick side for a long net? i use both 1.5mm and 2mm and both work very well as keeping the weight down a little.

I have seen some awful longnets supplied with top and bottom lines like bloody rope there is no way that the clove hitch will sit in the grommit well. Best stuff is a 3mm braid.

Isnt 3mm braid still a little on the thick side for a long net? i use both 1.5mm and 2mm and both work very well as keeping the weight down a little.

Yes smaller is fine, the 3mm I get works OK on the grommits and I am sure the 1.5 or 2mm will work just as well.

My friend had one supplied by magnum and it had not short of a 5mm or 6mm black braid on the bottome line, the clove would never stay in the grommit. ;) All this braid varies though, the 3mm is whats on the pic above. Even the black braid on matyJ's pic above looks way to thick IMO

6MM BRAID :icon_eek: BLOODY HELL :no:

ive seen many nets rigged a few yrs back with black running lines. it wanst braid it was a polyetherleen(?) and they were bloody awful

The problem now is what the feck do I do with the black braid that I took of the net and replaced with 3mm....lol make a rope swing?? Tow rope?