Polytunnels, what do you recommend?

I've got a patch of ground cleared on my place for a garden. Planning to stock and rabbit net it, have a few out door beds and a poly tunnel but i know nothing about them. 

Please enlighten me ?

• 2 months later...

On 21/04/2020 at 14:16, Tyla said:

I've got a patch of ground cleared on my place for a garden. Planning to stock and rabbit net it, have a few out door beds and a poly tunnel but i know nothing about them. 

Please enlighten me ?

On one of my perms they have three biggish poly tunnels. They grow all the usual stuff Tomatoes, Cucumbers etc. But they make most money out of growing edible flowers and herbs for gastro pubs and restaurants. I imagine thats all on hold at the moment though.

Cheers Arry

If you do get a polytunnel, don't get the cheapest you see. My mrs got hers from a company called Dancover. It came with a parts diagram of each part of the frame so if you break or lose one, you can just order part A16 or whatever, online. I think it came direct from Denmark, but only took 3 days.

I got a 12'x25' from first tunnels in the end. The lead time was ridiculous but everyone on furlough ordered one apparently.  Ive got the frame up but waiting on a digger to do the trench and put the cover on it. I got heavily distracted by chickens so missed most of this growing season but will start as soon as i get the tunnel finished

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Tyla said:

I got a 12'x25' from first tunnels in the end. The lead time was ridiculous but everyone on furlough ordered one apparently.  Ive got the frame up but waiting on a digger to do the trench and put the cover on it. I got heavily distracted by chickens so missed most of this growing season but will start as soon as i get the tunnel finished

Make sure you get the poly real tight Tyla.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

We have a 36' x 18' we got it from https://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/

I only just cut the cover off in March and it lasted 9 years.

I'd suggest growing in tubs and planters rather than the ground, used to spend a full day in it weeding only to go back two days later and back to square one.

That was my intention to put a hard base down before I recover it this time, but lock down got in the way.

When we first got it we were advised "go for the biggest you can afford/space you have"

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Its taken a while to get my shit together but I've finally got some bits growing in there now. I've mostly been using it to hide from the rain and drink tea between jobs. Got onions, Swiss chard, garlic growing and just sowed carrots, spinach and kohl rabi and waiting for them to sprout 

20201114_113656.jpg

• Like 1