Proberly a few of you know me from another website.....either for my bad spelling or raw language....i does mek stuff...when im board...last couple of years i made dozens of these dun up opinels and give em away..........

some of them are real quirky.........i recently rebuilt a Boer War offices horse knife....one of the most beautiful multi tools i have ever seen ..........if you are interested in that sort of stuff give me the nod and i will put the thread up........

ditch

finished 001tn_.JPG

finished 002tn_.JPG

duckandswing 015tn_.JPG

duckandswing 016tn_.JPG

father and dau' 003tn_.JPG

father and dau' 005tn_.JPG

• Like 10

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Proberly a few of you know me from another website.....either for my bad spelling or raw language....i does mek stuff...when im board...last couple of years i made dozens of these dun up opinels and g

i wont put many more pics up as i have bloody fawsands of them....but this shows the sort of procedure it goes thro.....the brass or bronze (sometimes ) pommel gets drilled and pinned and the pins are

they are really nice..........the more weird the antler is the better i like it ....

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, ianm said:

Those Opinels look really good, you have done an excellent job on them.

cheers..................

one of the reasons i slowed down on making them ....is it was getting really hard to find good interesting Red deer antler..........i did have a beautiful point that i was saving for myself...it was twisted and knobbly............so i started work on it..............and ended up cutting it too short............i cursed and swore and sobbed my heart out as it was a real special piece ....then shoved it in the bandsaw and cut it up in a dozen pieces and binned it...?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, ands said:

Hell yes keep them coming dithman

i wont put many more pics up as i have bloody fawsands of them....but this shows the sort of procedure it goes thro.....the brass or bronze (sometimes ) pommel gets drilled and pinned and the pins are silver soldered into the metal then the antler is drilled out and the whole thing is set in epoxy..........

what i will do is start another thread maybe 2moz on the re-building of the Boer War pattern horse knife what was give to me to do up...........

cheers

nearly there 001tn_.JPG

nearly there 002tn_.JPG

nearly there 003tn_.JPG

nearly there 004tn_.JPG

nearly there 005tn_.JPG

nearly there 006tn_.JPG

nearly there 007tn_.JPG

nearly there 008tn_.JPG

nearly there 009tn_.JPG

nearly there 010tn_.JPG

nearly there 011tn_.JPG

nearly there 012tn_.JPG

nearly there 013tn_.JPG

nearly there 014tn_.JPG

nearly there 015tn_.JPG

nearly there 016tn_.JPG

nearly there 017tn_.JPG

nearly there 018tn_.JPG

nearly there 019tn_.JPG

nearly there 020tn_.JPG

nearly there 021tn_.JPG

nearly there 022tn_.JPG

nearly there 023tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, ianm said:

Very interesting to see pictures of the process. How do you cut the slot for the blade?

i have an old tile cutter with a diamond edged blade on it ...so i took that off and put a cutting disc on it....mark it up by eye ..then push it onto the cutting disc......i use the same for cutting the excess off the metal...bit at a time so as not to melt the resin.....when it gets hottish i put it onto a tissue soaked in water (see pic att')

then the slot for the blade is done using a disc cutter (mini)..................all of it has to be done by eye as all the antler points are different....thats why every knife is unique...

i dont super clean the handle as i like to see the battle scars on it ...the history of the rut...and rubbing the velvert off......so i just wash it ....brush it....and polish it ..

Edited by ditchman
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, ianm said:

They are certainly very well done.

thanks ...........i try not to make them perfect.its more how they feel in your hand.....i try to make them look like a tool not a weapon.......

im trying to sort out the pics from the rebuilding of the horse knife...so i will put them up later..?

8 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Do you make different type of folders ditchman? Or was the opinel a one off

the majority i make are either re-done new opinels or old rusty favourites that their owners want something a little special.....it worth it cause the steel is good quality.....i prefer to work on the non-stainless ones tho.........

the other knives i do are total rebuilds of broken pocket knives....you know the sort ...."grandads old sheeps foot paring knife that was handed down to son ..then grandson...blade got thin and broke.....one gutted bloke......

i will show you what i mean tomorrow with some stuff ive done in the last year ...but posted "errr shall we say else where....?"

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ditchman said:

the majority i make are either re-done new opinels or old rusty favourites that their owners want something a little special.....it worth it cause the steel is good quality.....i prefer to work on the non-stainless ones tho.........

the other knives i do are total rebuilds of broken pocket knives....you know the sort ...."grandads old sheeps foot paring knife that was handed down to son ..then grandson...blade got thin and broke.....one gutted bloke......

i will show you what i mean tomorrow with some stuff ive done in the last year ...but posted "errr shall we say else where....?"

Don't mention the else where or you face will peel and your piles fall out ?