Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finely got me some lambs 

few photos from the round the place the last couple of weeks 

Try again form this to this ha 

Posted Images

2D63432B-4C9C-49D2-BCD0-248D3F5A6928.jpeg.9913c3f72e76890765553f57abad520a.jpeg
689F0174-2E44-4744-8343-9F02FDB7140B.jpeg.10797a40d16eadbc7f4ded16207b2864.jpeg

These are what I’m going to be concentrating on, Australian Lowline Cattle and Jacobs sheep.

My Pigs are in a freezer, they have a job renovating land but I can understand your landlord not wanting them as they wreck the gaff, if your pasture is decent you don’t need them.....ruminants are easier handled , do less damage and still return you decent meat.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, WILF said:

These are what I’m going to be concentrating on, Australian Lowline Cattle and Jacobs sheep.

My Pigs are in a freezer, they have a job renovating land but I can understand your landlord not wanting them as they wreck the gaff, if your pasture is decent you don’t need them.....ruminants are easier handled , do less damage and still return you decent meat.

I just wanted to fence the corner off maybe 10m x 10m n put them in ther with an ark i will keep working on him ha 

19 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

I just wanted to fence the corner off maybe 10m x 10m n put them in ther with an ark i will keep working on him ha 

If you do get them, make sure the fencing is very, very, very good......and that you have electric fence with a decent hard kick to it.

I got 7 joule mains fencing in the end because pigs laugh at 1.5 joule battery fencing !

Also, a pig will just steam roller sheep wire fencing like it’s not even there, if a pig wants to go somewhere, it’s going ! Lol 

Stuff you can’t lift yourself as a grown man a pig will toss aside with its snout like it’s a balloon! 

Pigs are bright animals mate, and they will suss out the slightest weakness in a fence, they will suss out where the best grazing is and when they have wrecked their paddock they will want to get to the fresh grass.

They are nice to keep because they are so intelligent but it also makes them a handful if you get my drift.

Its well worth the meat return but as I say there will be some eventful moments along the way.

Maybe say to your landlord that you want to do a veg patch and that you are using the pig / pigs to prepare the ground ?.......they will certainly do that.

You will only have them for about 8 months and you can take him round a sack of free range pork when you kill them because you will have plenty believe me ?

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1

You can't get a better animal than a pig they will eat just about anything great characters but has stated shit can they cause some damage, still can see damage they did 8 years after I killed the last one, soon has I move if it's got good big shed concrete floor first animals I will get.

5 minutes ago, Pirate 9000 said:

You can't get a better animal than a pig they will eat just about anything great characters but has stated shit can they cause some damage, still can see damage they did 8 years after I killed the last one, soon has I move if it's got good big shed concrete floor first animals I will get.

What’s the rules on feeding “swill” in the UK mate?

Over here it’s illegal to feed a pig kitchen left overs of any type, mine grazed free range and I also topped them up with rolled oats.

6 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

IMG-20200819-WA0008.jpg

Screenshot_20200820-062830_Gallery.jpg

Didn't you used to breed rabbits, or do I have the wrong person.

If I'm right, were you doing it for the table, or pet trade.

Atb j 

1 hour ago, jetro said:

Didn't you used to breed rabbits, or do I have the wrong person.

If I'm right, were you doing it for the table, or pet trade.

Atb j 

Yes about 10 years a go I had rabbits for the table,  now my daughter breeds them for pets 

• Like 1

I've had my land for a year, got 75ish laying hens, 22 broilers who are going off this weekend to become chicken dinners and a few sheep. Bought and built a polytunnrl but not had a chance to do anything in it yet. Next spring will be more sheep and some pigs I hope

• Like 1
9 hours ago, WILF said:

Do the cows make a mess when it rains ? 

34 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

Do the cows make a mess when it rains ? 

No mate because I move them every two days into a fresh patch of pasture, this helps the grass and plants recover, maintain root structure and water uptake and so the ground can resist more punishment (if all that makes sense ! Lol) 

They will come in for the worst of the winter.

soil should have a “coat” of grass and plants, the aim is no bare soil ?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

IMG-20200819-WA0008.jpg

Screenshot_20200820-062830_Gallery.jpg

Your some surgeon pal you wanna get on to Bupa.?? 

Nice looking meat really pal I had some lamb from a smallholder I know and it was stunning no comparison to Tesco etc.

• Thanks 1