Smallholders/Garden Farmers

3 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

Am trying to be a small holder / farmer ha so far have 18 hens 2 allotments and 1.2 acres of grass ( rented) 

You got plans for the grass? I'm hoping to get some land soon to allow me to get couple of pigs and maybe some goat kids/lambs. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finely got me some lambs 

few photos from the round the place the last couple of weeks 

Try again form this to this ha 

Posted Images

To be reasonably self sufficient, you don't need a lot of land. If your only doing it for your families needs, 8 to 10 acres will do. 

Just enough to raise a couple of pigs, goats for milk and meat, fowl and a hefier for the freezer. With polytunnels and new ways for growing veg, it makes things a lot easier.

Also if you live by the coast, a small boat would be a serious advantage, for pots and line fishing.

Atb j

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, jetro said:

Also if you live by the coast, a small boat would be a serious advantage, for pots and line fishing.

Atb j

Not if you don't like fish ???

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ryaldinhio said:

You got plans for the grass? I'm hoping to get some land soon to allow me to get couple of pigs and maybe some goat kids/lambs. 

Iv just been tidying it up at the mo been camping on it ,got 4 lambs coming next month for the freezer 

I'd love some pigs on there but because its rented no sure they will allow them I'd love to buy my own place n have pigs goat for milk lambs maybe geese for xmas polly tunnel etc

I worked on a 1800 sow unit for a few years so know abit about pigs n f all about sheep ha 

20200413_160502.jpg

20200403_190853.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, jetro said:

To be reasonably self sufficient, you don't need a lot of land. If your only doing it for your families needs, 8 to 10 acres will do. 

Just enough to raise a couple of pigs, goats for milk and meat, fowl and a hefier for the freezer. With polytunnels and new ways for growing veg, it makes things a lot easier.

Atb j

Its finding 8 or 10 acres ! 

Round me all land gets bought up for horses or houses  , horse people have pushed rent of land up too 

1 hour ago, vfr400boy said:

Its finding 8 or 10 acres ! 

Round me all land gets bought up for horses or houses  , horse people have pushed rent of land up too 

What would 8 to 10 acres cost you where you live vfr400boy. 

Atb j 

2 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

6 acres come up with a lane to it it made 41 or 42k ish 

They was a 3 acre paddock for 20k but it was land locked with no access buy vehicle because council stopped people using disused railway! 

Thats some price for a smsll bit of land, espically with no road access.  No hope of planning permission so ?

There's a house beside me for sale. 12 acres. Big house. Big out buildings and a garage, just over 200k. And that's expensive for here. 

Atb j 

5 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

Wow were abouts are you ? 

The house that I rent the paddock off was recently bought for 360k needed alot of work and has 1.5 acres in total 

Ireland

Atb j 

2 minutes ago, Chid said:

Looking at 10 grand an acre for good pasture land in my part of the country

That's prime land, in the hearth of farming country.

All we have is little fields surounded by Heather rocks and furzes lol.

I remember years ago a friend from ballycastle was asking me about farming here, he wouldn't belive we don't do silage, he's a silage contractor and dairy farmer. 

He came down for a weekend, and filmed the places, because they wouldn't belive him back home LOL 

Atb j 

3 minutes ago, Chid said:

Looking at 10 grand an acre for good pasture land in my part of the country

East Sussex £10 k an acre for any sort of land , good pasture with road frontage think of a number,  the horse owners would kill there parants for it ..absolute mad money .Trouble is they stopped making land a few years back but more and more people want a bit ...my pal just sold 34 acres he owned separat from his farm to the man who owns the house the land surrounds , three years ago he turned down £400k for it , he hasn’t said what the guy ended up paying but he desperately wanted it ..

15 minutes ago, jetro said:

That's prime land, in the hearth of farming country.

All we have is little fields surounded by Heather rocks and furzes lol.

I remember years ago a friend from ballycastle was asking me about farming here, he wouldn't belive we don't do silage, he's a silage contractor and dairy farmer. 

He came down for a weekend, and filmed the places, because they wouldn't belive him back home LOL 

Atb j 

Sshhhh......there’s more than enough people here for my liking ! Haha 

• Haha 1

You guys with land make me really jealous tbh I’d love just 2-3 acres I’d settle for one acre to camp on grow vegetables/poly tunnel an keep chickens/poultry  for eggs an meat  I’d do it all no dig I’d have that land jamming 

• Like 1