Woodland management

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like another storm coming in, hope it doesn't do as much damage as last time, wind's right up, had enough rain to fill a reservoir aswell lol, nice break in the weather this afternoon though fo

Hard days work on the clearing, and good to see the sweet chestnut sapling growing on well

You've got a f***ing panther! 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Have you used any of the auto tune Husqys? mate, Had my eye on them for a while

I use stihls mate had a few older husky’s and me pal had a lot of bother with his 560s 550s and he was felling up at kielder forest always had one in the dealers getting work done to it the new stihl 500i is the weapon of choice around here there Pretty thirsty but cut like no other saw on the market at the moment 

18 minutes ago, culltheweak said:

I use stihls mate had a few older husky’s and me pal had a lot of bother with his 560s 550s and he was felling up at kielder forest always had one in the dealers getting work done to it the new stihl 500i is the weapon of choice around here there Pretty thirsty but cut like no other saw on the market at the moment 

I was talking with one of the fitters at the place that sells both Husqvarna and Stihl, he reckons like for like the Stihls are more expensive but no better, I was going to stick with Husqy as I inherited one of their small domestic saws and have been using that, think it was the 572 XP I was looking at in the store, but do like the look of the Stihls aswell  I'm after a bit of an all-rounder, maybe try some milling at some point

22 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

I was talking with one of the fitters at the place that sells both Husqvarna and Stihl, he reckons like for like the Stihls are more expensive but no better, I was going to stick with Husqy as I inherited one of their small domestic saws and have been using that, think it was the 572 XP I was looking at in the store, but do like the look of the Stihls aswell  I'm after a bit of an all-rounder, maybe try some milling at some point

There both good saws in there own right to be fair it’s down to preference I’d say in my company it’s about 70% use stihl with a few echos thrown in I’ve only used the 066 and 088 to mill a lot of years ago but I do like the husky 372 and 395 they were the dogs danglies when they came out 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

So, how do ye do that, Drift? Is it like take out anything within a certain radius of a given tree?

To start with I removed the least promising looking trees, then just continued thinning through, some of these birches are multi stemmed, and the triple trunk seen in the pic is a Rowan, I'll remove two of the trunks in time keeping the best one, and allowing that room to fill out, and develop side branches, the plan for this place is to restore back to more of a native woodland, the plot is full of Sitka spruce of which a lot have been felled and thinned out now, but this site is an ancient oak woodland. I plan to create as much variation as possible, rides, glades, scallops, wildflower meadow, pond, a few different coppices of hazel, sweet chestnut, various willows, alder etc, going to put some bird and owl boxes up, had a family of young tawny's in a fortnight ago making a racket at 3. 30 a.m.

IMG_20220709_175525_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220709_182157_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220709_182428.jpg

IMG_20220709_182443_HDR.jpg

• Thanks 3
17 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

To start with I removed the least promising looking trees, then just continued thinning through, some of these birches are multi stemmed, and the triple trunk seen in the pic is a Rowan, I'll remove two of the trunks in time keeping the best one, and allowing that room to fill out, and develop side branches, the plan for this place is to restore back to more of a native woodland, the plot is full of Sitka spruce of which a lot have been felled and thinned out now, but this site is an ancient oak woodland. I plan to create as much variation as possible, rides, glades, scallops, wildflower meadow, pond, a few different coppices of hazel, sweet chestnut, various willows, alder etc, going to put some bird and owl boxes up, had a family of young tawny's in a fortnight ago making a racket at 3. 30 a.m.

IMG_20220709_175525_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220709_182157_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220709_182428.jpg

IMG_20220709_182443_HDR.jpg

Is this were your work low plains,or is it your own patch?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...