pat x lurcher ??

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Parson X Russel 15" over 3/4 collie grey 25" made 22 and 45lb wish I had another like him, too slow for a hare (very few round here) but no problem with any thing else ? Cheers, D.

He won't bite you if you  do it right ?

APBT's that were used for producing running dogs were silent and up on the leg, many of them were 20tts, thats two ideal qualities when adding terrier into the mix of a running dog, Patterdales seldom

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I'm going to put my Parsons over my grey blooded whippet bitch mainly for ferreting and any foxes we run into.I tried mating him with my blue whip/stag but he's too short and when I tried to put him on a step the bitch wouldn't have it.Any suggestions how to accomplish this?Any excess pups should get homes with pig hunters as the cross is good for pushing pigs out of blackberries.

Forget about the hole @Aussie Whip

Youl have to time the bitch season so timing is critical with this so she accepts the dog with no fuss. 

All you need too do, is work out roughly the size of platform you need so the dog has good contact,put it in position beside a tall fence, get an 8 by 4 sheet of ply, simply tie the bitch to a tall fence, place the board along side the bitch, enough to stop her from moving around, then bring the dog in. 

Don't know what size your bitch is, but I had success with a 23/4 inch dog over 28/9inch bitch with this way. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Francie said:

Don't know what size your bitch is

The dog is 14tts and the bitch around 23.It might work with this younger bitch the other he tried is nearly seven and has never mated and if you went near them she would jump away and if you tied her she would freak out.It's a shame I never got a pup out of her as she's the best working dog I've owned,but I'm happy to have owned her just for her.The two next to each other in pic are the ones I'm going to try.

IMG_E0785.JPG

Edited by Aussie Whip

My mate had a pat x whip grey accidental mating he kept two and we’re hard as nails would have a go at anything and we’re big enough to run rabbits they struggled abit but they had the heart of a lion would go to ground tho only been 19in if they could fit fiesty dog for size a good companion for any terrier or lurcher never seen one since 

I've got a whippet x Russell. Probably the best dog I've had work wise. He's nearly 13 now but in his prime he was a good dog who'd give his best in any situation. He was never a fast dog but still caught well day or night. He still does a bit of ferreting and mooching now. If I could clone him I would.

• Like 3
On 14 April 2020 at 12:31, bird said:

just reading the 1x  beddy x greyhound   post , got thinking  the main thing comes over to  me , is the lack of pure beddys  that actually  work, meaning earth work,  that comes over from the post. well why not use a well tested pat , on say  good  whippetx grey bitch , just nice proven type lurcher , i reckon  over time you get a uniform type lurcher , say 23-25in 60 lb dogs , that catch most stuff mooching / lamping, it deff be worth a good punt. after all they used apbt  in the late 70s to greyhounds  , and lurchers, and these types lurchers proved  very successful  from there on .  just a thought .?

APBT's that were used for producing running dogs were silent and up on the leg, many of them were 20tts, thats two ideal qualities when adding terrier into the mix of a running dog, Patterdales seldom make more than 15tts, this wouldn't be big enough for me to put to a running dog and when they are pushed hard during earthwork for whatever reason they have a tendency to bay (which is what they should do) and whose to say a lurcher with patterdale in its genetic make up wouldn't open up behind a rabbit on a winters night lamping if they were worked hard and began to tire, I have seen a first cross patterdale/whippet work on several occasions and yes it's a brave little thing but it lacks too many qualities for me to consider it a serious hunting dog jmho

Atb

Edited by Countryman62
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Countryman62 said:

I have seen a first cross patterdale/whippet work on several occasions and yes it's a brave little thing but it lacks too many qualities for me to consider it a serious hunting dog jmho

I can see your point on bigger game and lamping but for ferreting and rabbiting in tight areas I think a working terrier/ whippet would way outclass a bulldog cross being sharper,smaller and just as, if not more driven and game/talented on hunted prey.As one dog for allround hunting the bigger dog wins out.Pits are good at fighting animals but they don't have half the hunting ability/sense of a working terrier.Also the little dogs would be more use around a property keeping vermin number down.I'd still use faster dogs for rabbits in the open but the terrier cross would have a important place in a rabbiting pack.

• Like 1

Didn't a lad on here, offer some patterdale x bull grey pups free to working homes couple of seasons ago??? Wonder how they turned out?? 

Plenty of iron hard patts that don't make a noise, when at it..... Could be handy for a knock about little vermin dogs in cover... But think you would struggle for speed and  height for anything that you could do with a traditional type runner.. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Tyla said:

I've got a whippet x Russell. Probably the best dog I've had work wise. He's nearly 13 now but in his prime he was a good dog who'd give his best in any situation. He was never a fast dog but still caught well day or night. He still does a bit of ferreting and mooching now. If I could clone him I would.

Was he quite? Iv been told they yep alot ? After reading phil drable as a lad iv always wanted to try a first cross ha 

3 minutes ago, sid g said:

we were using whippet russells in the 70`s ex racing bitch pups were good bushers demon ratters and ran the odd rabbit gave us some great sport as kids bunch of us off the council estate heading out all over the fields fookin about with dogs ferrets  air gun and bows n arrows ...  good times 

Just sounds like us mate totally  relate to your  post good times

• Like 2