What's happening in your garden.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ours is just starting to come to life  I've not done a great amount so far just a little tidying up 

The back gardens been a bit of a hole since the kids had rabbits and stuff been nice to finally get it sorted, doing it cottage garden style wild flowers and herbs etc with some fruit and veg her

This is my patch, been working from home for the last few weeks so the place is looking as nice as it ever has !

Posted Images

20 hours ago, jetro said:

Thanks for that. They sound ideal for what I want to plant on rockery. 

as you can see from the pic, that's as far as my passion flower gets now.

maybe not enough sun.

Atb j20200808_183600.jpg.0984e79f3ce756618e2365c705934524.jpg

Don't do it! Or if you do, keep them in containers. They eventually take over and grow anywhere they can. Seen them growing here in peoples drains, cracks in walls etc. I'm constantly pulling them from my veggie pots. I have a window box with them in gravel and they need thinning out every year ;)

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Don't do it! Or if you do, keep them in containers. They eventually take over and grow anywhere they can. Seen them growing here in peoples drains, cracks in walls etc. I'm constantly pulling them from my veggie pots. I have a window box with them in gravel and they need thinning out every year ;)

20200809_152021.jpg.842406c305c3c11d860dad51763aa18c.jpg

20200809_152030.jpgthat's excalty what in need it to do, take of, so it can cover this wall., I have ivy and honeysuckle growing there, but it's very slow.

Atb j 

1 hour ago, jetro said:

20200809_152021.jpg.842406c305c3c11d860dad51763aa18c.jpg

20200809_152030.jpgthat's excalty what in need it to do, take of, so it can cover this wall., I have ivy and honeysuckle growing there, but it's very slow.

Atb j 

They don't take over like that... they invade cracks, nooks and crannies but don't cover the whole thing. Their roots can split most rock types (eventually). I'd say a hardy rose type would be best there, add in some fast climbing species (potted so can be removed later on). Something that grips and pulls into the wall, as opposed to forcing it's way into and between.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Greyman said:

Badgers and cars as dytkos has said mate, I made a bit of noise last year about the arsewipe Brian May running a campaign to save badgers then started a campaign to save hedgehogs, the irony of trying to save the cause of the problem and the victim by the same man just shows how far removed from reality these guardians of our countryside really are ✌️✌️

I messaged him about it on his Twitter, never came back to me ?

Cheers, D.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Jetro- that's a really nice place to live mate. It looks like it's good for the soul :good:

20200809_165008.jpg.7088852c9112b1ebeb88bb1d5b7b97d5.jpg20200809_165011.jpg.095a8e62bd9fbb4f76a42ad72ad59da4.jpg20200809_165011.jpg.095a8e62bd9fbb4f76a42ad72ad59da4.jpg

20200809_165450.jpg

It is jonjon, I love it to be honest. 

The pics with the horses  is right back at the back of the house, the others is right across the road.

Atb j 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Greyman said:

These endangered almost extinct hedgehogs are eating me out of house and home, not sure how many I have in total as I feed them in several places and some run from one bowl to another but recon minimum 3 maybe 5 different ones at the moment and still have not seen any little ones , interestingly they seem to roam 3/4 gardens and none of my neighbours even no they are there,so are they as endangered as they say or do we just not spend enough time out side poking about anymore ????? 

2958DE22-56E4-4ED9-84C5-1B348DB44638.jpeg

CFDE6E74-6F17-439E-90AC-8DBE9E6C326F.jpeg

I've got 5/6 I think , that's the minimum. I was speaking to a lady to that rescues them; she thought she had 4 but had 12. 

Catch them and put nail polish on their spikes is apparently the way to really count em

• Like 1
10 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

I've got 5/6 I think , that's the minimum. I was speaking to a lady to that rescues them; she thought she had 4 but had 12. 

Catch them and put nail polish on their spikes is apparently the way to really count em

Listening to others seems the southwest is a bit of a stronghold for hedgehogs, funny you should say that about the varnish as I was about to give them a squirt of aerosol, I put food bowls out front and back last night had 3 at the same time feeding ?