Hound barking on everything

I have a harrier x hound and all doe he is hunting and barking on scent i recently discovered he will speak on fox hare and rabbit scent... Fox was what he was got to hunt with... But just wondering would you it bother anyone that he hunts everything when fox is our intended quarry... Just to add based in ireland 

We do a lot of rabbit control as well .so our little dogs will hunt both rabbit and fox.although in the fells were we go there isn't any rabbits .so when they are on we know its fox.plus a every day mooch would be boring of you broke your hounds to rabbits .but everyone is diffrent. Also I have had numerous foxes put out of cover with little dogs right behind him .although the spot is crawling with rabbits, they seem to favour old charlie boy .

• Like 5

To tell ya the truth it was a great hunt listing to him giving full tounge and getting closer it was a big wooded area and was great to see home working away... Im not to worryed about him hes earing his keep and hes keeping the runners exercised and as you say the hunt is not the same everytime... Thanks for your reply foxpack... And your little pack is a credit to ya 

• Like 1

I'd like them to speak on everything as I just use mine for bushing out for lurchers but if u are offering some kind of service like fox control then u don't want to spend ur day chasing rabbit round when Charlie has just doubled back and the hounds have found a forward running rabbit, each to their own but part of the fun for me is when he starts speaking u never know what gonna come out ?

• Like 3

Cant think of anything worse to be honest and it would be cull in any of the small footpacks i follow but they are fox only packs so its understandable but if the hound is keeping you happy and getting you runners a bit of sport then thats all that matters. 

• Like 3

Yer defo agree with that mate one hound speaking on a rabbit could draw the rest of the pack over, an encourage new excited pups to speak on rabbit, but one man's waste is another man's gold ? Bit I know proper registered hound pack can't just go giving them away 

• Like 2

The gun packs Ive hunted with tend to speak a lot but you know when they are on a fox they really get to work these areas hold deer fox  hare and rabbits the babbling helps push game anyway and the guns or runners take care of what comes out. 

• Like 1

It didnt really bother me that much until i relized hed rather hunt a hare and follow it longer then a fox.. The odd hare or rabbit wouldnt have been to bad aslong as he tryed the same as them all but hes loosing sent on foxes to easy and will follow a hare for way longer... Back to the drawing board i think 

7 hours ago, Lurcher91 said:

It didnt really bother me that much until i relized hed rather hunt a hare and follow it longer then a fox.. The odd hare or rabbit wouldnt have been to bad aslong as he tryed the same as them all but hes loosing sent on foxes to easy and will follow a hare for way longer... Back to the drawing board i think 

Has he hunted more hare/rabbits??  We had  a hound and it was the same till we got it more foxes, then the penny dropped never looked at a hare or rabbit again, few end of hunt rag brings them on 

• Like 1

Being honest i seen him hunting away and going on by hares and then yesterday morning id seen it for the frist time that he was actully roaring on them as the hunt came by me and hes flat out after them again this morning... I seen him on a fox aswel as i seen it jump into the wood and he did roar real well but seemed to loose the trail quicker then when on a hare and truthfully id rather know that when hes starts roaring its a fox 

4 hours ago, Dig-deep-draw-charlie said:

Has he hunted more hare/rabbits??  We had  a hound and it was the same till we got it more foxes, then the penny dropped never looked at a hare or rabbit again, few end of hunt rag brings them on 

Like you say plenty of foxes and whipping might work but harriers can be a pain in the ass to straighten up once they start rioting. 

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

Like you say plenty of foxes and whipping might work but harriers can be a pain in the ass to straighten up once they start rioting. 

But when u get them straight and just on fox they are a cracking, we have a harrier bitch there, searching machine and now will only hunt fox!  Just need to be ok them quick when they start to riot! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dogmandont said:

F3CAA041-4218-4B24-90A6-479995E67878.png.78600c79b4f8ec01caaf11b6562d8eeb.pngFull harrier in this small pack as well and a couple of harrier xs and agree that when they are going right they're cracking hounds.

Nice looking pack there mate! A cross I would like to get my hands on it a welsh hound x harrier , never seem 1, but have heard heard about a couple of boys working them!