Which catapult for a beginner?

Been a fun day, I’ve been mainly shooting the card board box but put the 80mm target up and hit it a few times but only from like 5m away lol.

i thought the 50 8mm ball bearings were gonna last ages because I set up the sheet to stop them, somehow I’ve lost loads and got about 15 left ?? I’m gonna get some more ordered in a bit but wondering if I should get bigger balls and thicker bands? At the moment I’m using .55 yellow ott bands with 8mm ball bearings. I’ve got 3 sets of the .55 bands but not sure how long they will last lol.

any advice on what to do next would be great ? 

Edited by jas27
  • Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

love my catapult........... those old aluminium ones Milbro ?........were real knuckle killers

Finally had to break out and go for a walk in my wood can’t stand walking round the local merry go round any longer, found this beauty laying in the middle of the path, keep a small folding saw in my

I’ve hung a sheet up at the top of the garden to stop the balls from ricocheting if I miss and put a 20cm x 20cm cardboard box up in front of it as a target. From 15m away it’s going right through the

Posted Images

I wouldn't use less than a 9.5 for hunting and that's only if your a bang on shot. No point getting used to shooting 8mm on targets if you plan on hunting get used to what ever size your guna hunt with on your targets.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jas27 said:

Been a fun day, I’ve been mainly shooting the card board box but put the 80mm target up and hit it a few times but only from like 5m away lol.

i thought the 50 8mm ball bearings were gonna last ages because I set up the sheet to stop them, somehow I’ve lost loads and got about 15 left ?? I’m gonna get some more ordered in a bit but wondering if I should get bigger balls and thicker bands? At the moment I’m using .55 yellow ott bands with 8mm ball bearings. I’ve got 3 sets of the .55 bands but not sure how long they will last lol.

any advice on what to do next would be great ? 

I have a magnet on a stick that I run around the target area and over the lawn, be surprised we’re they get ?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Not shot one tidy since I was a kid, other than the rowers when I'm fishing?Ordered myself one to knock about with... Came today, just waiting on a few different premade band sets to mess around with and 1000 rounds of 9/10 mm ammo?

FEELS nice in the hand, gonna get out later for some target practice.... Cost under £10 with 100 steel balls?DSC_0536.JPG.220ad54de6cb0d450e80a6ea0c6d7268.JPG

I find with them tubes they work better for me with a loop at the fork end and single at the pouch end, think you can see what I mean on some of these ones, if you don’t like them doubled give it a go mate and if you need any close up pics let me no ?

C940529D-968B-4131-850B-C1E1D6EFC733.jpeg

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I find with them tubes they work better for me with a loop at the fork end and single at the pouch end, think you can see what I mean on some of these ones, if you don’t like them doubled give it a go mate and if you need any close up pics let me no ?

C940529D-968B-4131-850B-C1E1D6EFC733.jpeg

Cheers GM, I think I'd shoot better with a longer draw, as these bands seem quite short... Bit reluctant to give them a good pull yesterday until I've got some replacements, I've ordered a few different type bands premade from Sheepy? On ebay. Can't wait to try a few, and suss what's best for me... ?

• Like 1

Agree mate that’s why I make me own, find a lot of the shop bought stuff to short, I don’t pull back as far as the Americans do, that’s called a full butterfly but I like to pull back behind my head, my flats I cut at 30cm and the looped tubes are cut at  45cm ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Chaff said:

Anyone tried sticking flat bands together with a bit of glue ?

I,ve seen a few people with a liquid rubber type glue they would use when it started ripping but it only slows it down,  recon the puncture repair kit glue might work if you wanted to try it ?

14 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I,ve seen a few people with a liquid rubber type glue they would use when it started ripping but it only slows it down,  recon the puncture repair kit glue might work if you wanted to try it ?

Yeah was thinking the same glue also wondered about a couple spots of silicone. I will have a look later.

Do you still have that crutch rocket mate?

I would like to see that one tested with chronograph mate 

• Like 1

I’m a bit confused about bands, I was watching a YouTube video and he was suggesting .66 - .72 thickness for 9.5 steel, does this sound about right? Does anyone have a link to some cheap ones for ott because I don’t have a clue what I’m buying lol thanks 

On 18/04/2020 at 08:32, jas27 said:

I’m a bit confused about bands, I was watching a YouTube video and he was suggesting .66 - .72 thickness for 9.5 steel, does this sound about right? Does anyone have a link to some cheap ones for ott because I don’t have a clue what I’m buying lol thanks 

Easiest way of explaining it and I’m no expert as I’m still using  TBG which is sold by colour like dub dub,  the newer stuff is done on thickness in mm and from what I can understand 0.5 is to small and over 1.0 would be getting to big so something in between is what you are looking for, you should try as many different ones as you can because we are all slightly different some are stronger than others and like heavier bands or tubes than others, I,m older weaker and have f****d up shoulders so the tbg is as heavy a draw as I want if your a big young beast you may get on with something stronger, keep playing and keep enjoying and when you find what you are most happy with just stock up as it’s always changing ✌️✌️

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Greyman said:

Easiest way of explaining it and I’m no expert as I’m still using  TBG which is sold by colour like dub dub,  the newer stuff is done on thickness in mm and from what I can understand 0.5 is to small and over 1.0 would be getting to big so something in between is what you are looking for, you should try as many different ones as you can because we are all slightly different some are stronger than others and like heavier bands or tubes than others, I,m older weaker and have f****d up shoulders so the tbg is as heavy a draw as I want if your a big young beast you may get on with something stronger, keep playing and keep enjoying and when you find what you are most happy with just stock up as it’s always changing ✌️✌️

Cheers mate I’ve gone for 9.5 steel with .72 gzk bands, should be here in a few days. I’ve made myself a target box so I can collect all the balls a bit easier, it’s great fun and passes the time quickly but my shooting is so bad ?